What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

The lady in the van ,just downloaded on PB . been looking forward to this , about the old lady who lived in a van on Alan Bennets drive for years .

Any inappropriate characters in it.casting wise?

I will be keeping a close watch , but as its not set in the middle ages i feel it should be ok thumbsup.gif

Best not to watch Gods of Egypt then. The main cast is all white with one black actor. All would stand out like a sore thumb in ancient Egypt!
Not so the Egyptians had black slaves, mind you as it was a certain faith that captured black people and sold them as slaves. I would have thought that they would be complaining about it,strange that they don't

Is God's of Egypt good? Might give it a try

Edited by i claudius

JHolmesJr, on 27 Feb 2016 - 19:31, said:snapback.png

i claudius, on 27 Feb 2016 - 18:33, said:snapback.png

The lady in the van ,just downloaded on PB . been looking forward to this , about the old lady who lived in a van on Alan Bennets drive for years .

Any inappropriate characters in it….casting wise?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course there is JH---------its set in Camden town , & I have seen more then 3 white people in the opening scene already......**Joke

Well people are speaking so well of "The Room".......guess I'll have to give it a try.........coffee1.gif

The Detectorists….two seasons so far….nice little comedy in the vein of the office….no canned laughter….wry….about two idiots trying to find treasure in the countryside.

Stars mackenzie crook….gareth from the office. Both seasons available at the usual places.

Noice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, also been lookign forward to this one

Just listened to Maggie Smith being interviewed on WHYY's Fresh Air. While I love her as an actress, can't say the premise of the movie fills me with a burning desire to watch it.

She was clearly on a promotional tour to plug the movie, but heck it seemed a tough sell

Grrreat little film...no special fx, just good performances and story. They also put someone in just for iclaudius.

PS. Once you see it, please tell me im not the only one who thinks maggie smith looks like michael caine in it.

Curious that you mention Michael Caine with regard to Maggie Smith, In the same interview I referenced before, she couldn't have been more complimentary about Michael Caine from their time making 'California Suite'

Herbert Ross, the Director was notoriously awful to work with, and while she wouldn't say exactly what it was he had said to her during the filming which was so troublesome, simply said it was Caine that helped her get through the ordeal of filming with him.

Dickensian

Have to put in one more rave for Dickensian, which just wrapped up its 20 episode first (?) season. It works as a master acting class, and the "mash-up" of characters form many of Dickens' novels works so well, I'm sure the Old Master himself would be well pleased. With the Artful Dodger befriending young Oliver Twist at the end, and walking away into the mist, ala Casablanca, there's hope for another set of these, and certainly CD himself left behind an infinite number of new situations to play with.

The Dickensian home page gives a brief bio of each character, and the novel from which they came, which I wish now I had read at the beginning instead of the end.

FLAWLESS!

• Like 2

"With the Artful Dodger befriending young Oliver Twist at the end"

Thanks

Frank James

we all love to know the end of something we have not watched yet

Having watched all 20 episodes I see nothing constituting a spoiler in Franks comment.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Thanks

Frank James

Having watched all 20 episodes I see nothing constituting a spoiler in Franks comment.

HTH

A spoiler would be closer to 'Oliver isn't allowed second helpings'

Sorry to have "spoiled" it for you. Would it have been better if I had left out the three words "at the end"? I try to be very careful not to insert spoilers, or at least to pre-identify if I do. There are 20 episodes. Dodger plays a small part in the big panorama, and Oliver even less. I guess i wanted to point out that this would be a strong hint that the show might go on.

Please accept my sincere apology.

The Room

I had to pause this film at least 4 times. It was painful to watch, and terribly true to life. One of the "news" sites I read every day (NY Daily News) carries the latest true version of such stories every day, from all over the world. Once, this was the stuff of fiction (John Fowles: "The Collector"), but now it's all too real, almost commonplace. Brie Larson deserved the Oscar for her performance, but I almost had to shut it down.

• Like 2

Thanks

Frank James

HTH

A spoiler would be closer to 'Oliver isn't allowed second helpings'

Anyone who reads books would know what's what already.

The Room

I had to pause this film at least 4 times. It was painful to watch, and terribly true to life. One of the "news" sites I read every day (NY Daily News) carries the latest true version of such stories every day, from all over the world. Once, this was the stuff of fiction (John Fowles: "The Collector"), but now it's all too real, almost commonplace. Brie Larson deserved the Oscar for her performance, but I almost had to shut it down.

Yep, been looking at this one and thb having the same thoughts as you had,, will get enuf about me to watch it,, Soonish ,,, oh and always have loved fowles and his take on ' 'control' and for some reason 'the collector' i particularly Liked arguably not his best but think it was the first of his i bought and always v much thought a test pad and stepping stone for.him to produce

The classic 'the magus'

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry to have "spoiled" it for you. Would it have been better if I had left out the three words "at the end"? I try to be very careful not to insert spoilers, or at least to pre-identify if I do. There are 20 episodes. Dodger plays a small part in the big panorama, and Oliver even less. I guess i wanted to point out that this would be a strong hint that the show might go on.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I was kind of jesting, its like the trend of movies starting at the end with someone lying dead, the the it says "3 days ago" well you already shown us the end!!!!!!!

• Like 1

i'm kinda liking short ish term tv atm ,, vinyl bouncing along nicely. as are the 'outsiders, with 'the night manager also looking hot to trot. , the vikings just grip, jane the virgin, 11 22 63, aint a sci fi fan but,,,, good wife just strong arms on,,, good stuff. and my bad trow away stuff is 'younger' and girls looks seasoned odds on to disappoint and suits ,,, ,,,,

• Like 2

Tv series - Thirteen.

A 5 part series from the Beeb.
Thought the first episode was really good.

IMDB: 26-year-old Ivy Moxam steps out of an ordinary house, on an ordinary street, on an ordinary day.
Ivy hasn't been seen for thirteen years, she was kidnapped in 2003 at the age of thirteen.

• Like 2

Well folks Suits is done for another season, and boy oh boy, the finale didn't disappoint.. Just read the creator's take on the final episode and how it all came about... Bring on season 6!

Still. Watchable --- but for me only just ,,, Lost its way after Season 3 ish unfortunatly now its turned into a soap. Shame.

• Like 1

Well folks Suits is done for another season, and boy oh boy, the finale didn't disappoint.. Just read the creator's take on the final episode and how it all came about... Bring on season 6!

Spoiler Alert:

Season 6: Mike sues Harvard because they won't let him get his law degree from behind bars.

• Like 2

Still. Watchable --- but for me only just ,,, Lost its way after Season 3 ish unfortunatly now its turned into a soap. Shame.

I reckon that would've been a good way to finish it all up.

Not sure how they can go on from here.

I reckon that would've been a good way to finish it all up.

Not sure how they can go on from here.

Lets hope they don't.get to.ridiculous and.spoil what was once

a great show.. But In truth this storyline has been done for ?? seasons and its producers imo been exploting peoples empathy towards the shows characters.