What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished a movie marathon...

Welcome to the Punch - one of those British gangsta police good cop takes on gangstas. Bad cops moving in on gangstas territory, corruption, big gangsta's son who shouldn't be following in his dads footsteps does, and gets killed. Dad comes back seeking revenge, teams up with good cop takes on bad cops, gets revenge and disappears from whence he came. Has that guy from "Rockn Rolla" in it, which was the reason it peaked my interest.

Dead Man Down - Collin Farrell's latest adventure, another reason for the initial download. Not what I was expecting from the IMDB blurb... A noble story line... A somewhat predictable ending. Worth the view.

Olympus has Fallen - Gerard Butler (reason why I downloaded it) and Aaron Eckhardt. Butler plays a secret service agent initially assigned to the president's detail (Eckhardt plays the president) gets demoted back to the treasury department having failed at saving the First Lady (Ashley Judd) from an accident also involving involving the president. US meets South Korea for talks on North Korea. Terrorist attack ensues, president taken hostage. Bla bla bla... Somewhat predictable ending. Enjoyed Butler's humour, though f**king annoying when he bangs on a yank accent...

About to download latest episode of Burn Notice Season 7... which looks like I'll have to wait until next week bah.gif

There is a new show premiering today on Showtime, "Ray Donovan", starring Liev Schrieber, Jon Voight, Elliot Gould, Steven Bauer.

Based on the first episode it looks like it could be fantastic - I loved it. Modern, yet noirish, looks to be based loosely on famous Hollywood fixers like Eddie Mannix, the guy who killed Superman.

http://www.sho.com/sho/ray-donovan/home

Ray Donovan, Under the Dome and Twisted are all brand new series that show promise.

Watched Ep.1 of Ray Donovan last night. very enjoyable and does show great promise

Nice thread.

Since the latest Season of Mad Men ended I'm definitely on the lookout for something new (to me) so I'll have to check out some of those mentioned here.

Let's see, I just finished watching all 5 seasons of Boston Legal. I bought the set almost 2 years ago and when I got to disc 3 it wouldn't play so I set them aside and just got bored enough to revisit them. It was good to see the show again but I was a little bummed that even though I only watched the last season when it aired apparently I must have done a good job of catching the re-runs on the DVR because I didn't see any episodes that I hadn't seen before.

Before Mad Men I went on an 80s sci-fi kick. That was fun...Buckaroo Banzai, Scanners, Spaceballs, The Last Starfighter. I watched a ton of movies I haven't seen in years and even the ones that were awesomely bad were fun to watch.

Hmm..just watched "A Simple Life" yesterday which was a Chinese movie starring Andy Lau and it was good. It was long and a bit slow but held my interest well. It's a family drama based on real people and deals with the aging of a loved one. I'm sure most of us have gone through similar with a loved one so it's pretty heavy to watch but so well done.

On the lighter side of things I recently watched Safety Not Guaranteed, Horrible Bosses, and Seven Psychopaths which are all worth a gander. I doubt they will end up on anyone's top ten but they are an enjoyable view. You won't kick yourself for having wasted your time to watch.

Reluctant Fundamentalist, I just finished viewing.

Not bad, and definitely worth watching.

Still, there is nothing that can redeem Sutherland from his weird disaster, "Flatliners".

Sutherland will take that flick Flatliners to his grave.

And then wake up again.

So it can die again.

And again.

And again.

I Agree with OCH; Watched the Reluctant Fundamentalist the other night. Quite good and well worth a watch

I have watched Fast and Furious 6 last night. OMG. that was an amazing movie. The story of this movie is really good and full of action. I plan to watched again this movie. If you want to come then most welcome.... And if don't then must watch this movie.

This is one movie I want to see in the cinema on the big screen.

Watched this as a download...Should have stuck with my preference for the big screen.

Full on action, most of it suspending belief, but some entertaining easy to watch action.

The end of the movie is already set for F&F 7! laugh.png

SlideRiceFC,

I loved watching Boston Legal. The friendship between Danny and Alan was hilarious! Shame it ended after 5 seasons.

I've found Suits to be a suitable replacement. It's due to start Season 3 next week in the States.

Over the weekend, I finished watching Trance - something to be said about seeing Rosario Dawson butt nekkid - an interesting twist and turn kind of movie. Worth the watch.

Also watched 'Oz the Great and Powerful' purely on wanting to see what role Mila Klunis would play and how it would rate along side the original. Would have preferred it to be Johnny Depp / Tim Burton film adding a bit of dark comedy that seemingly only they can do. Klunis's the hottest 'Wicked Witch of the West' I've seen hahaha. Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams play pretty hot witches too ;)

Next up on the playlist: The Sweeney, Stand Up Guys and

SlideRiceFC,

I loved watching Boston Legal. The friendship between Danny and Alan was hilarious! Shame it ended after 5 seasons.

I've found Suits to be a suitable replacement. It's due to start Season 3 next week in the States.

Yeah, those two were great. It always kinda bothered me that people would just sorta disappear from the cast and I always thought it was because I didn't necessarily watch the episodes in order. But after seeing it in chronological order on the DVDs and reading more about the show it just seems like other things were higher priority for some of the cast. That being the case I was glad they wrapped it up fairly well. At least it ended on a good note and didn't just disappear from the air.

I hadn't heard of Suits. I just checked out the first season promo on youtube and it looks interesting. I'll definitely be checking that one out since there are a few seasons out already so it could keep me busy for a few.

SlideRiceFC,

Over the weekend, I finished watching Trance - something to be said about seeing Rosario Dawson butt nekkid - an interesting twist and turn kind of movie. Worth the watch.

Also watched 'Oz the Great and Powerful' purely on wanting to see what role Mila Klunis would play and how it would rate along side the original. Would have preferred it to be Johnny Depp / Tim Burton film adding a bit of dark comedy that seemingly only they can do. Klunis's the hottest 'Wicked Witch of the West' I've seen hahaha. Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams play pretty hot witches too wink.png

Being a Huge Ray Winstone fan, I was really looking forward to The Sweeney.

Must say I was disappointed.

Give it a spin and let us know what you think.

SlideRiceFC,

Also watched 'Oz the Great and Powerful' purely on wanting to see what role Mila Klunis would play and how it would rate along side the original. Would have preferred it to be Johnny Depp / Tim Burton film adding a bit of dark comedy that seemingly only they can do. Klunis's the hottest 'Wicked Witch of the West' I've seen hahaha. Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams play pretty hot witches too wink.png

Being a Huge Ray Winstone fan, I was really looking forward to The Sweeney.

Must say I was disappointed.

Give it a spin and let us know what you think.

I agree with Will27. Was hoping for a bit more from The Sweeney

Exactly my reasoning for downloading it, saw the preview and being the Johnny Depp that I am I've downloaded it...

Also on the playlist is Playing for Keeps... Appears to be a bit of a rom-com, but Mr Butler's role is spoken in his Scottish accent, so will watch with the wife...

Olympus Has Fallen

This one has everything. It is campy, full of comic strip superhero dialog, and half-reminiscent of World War 2 Allied propaganda films, but lacking in reality.

At one weird point, Madam Secretary is being carried like a sack of potatoes by four men on her way to her execution, and suddenly she breaks out with a pledge to the American flag. This must be seen to be believed.

What are American movies coming to?

Watch and find out!

This is the kind of film college students once loved to watch while stoned, laughing themselves silly.

At the weirdest points I just cringed and averted my eyes.

Or is this intentional parody?

Red Lights...good twist at the end

Cloud Atlas...complicated and interesting film about life, karma etc

Saw Cloud Atlas about 4 months ago. Very hard to follow if you haven't read the book, which I read about 2 months ago. Even the book was a bit hard to follow if you hadn't seen the movie.tongue.png Still, the book had some of the best prose I've read in a long time. Brilliant concept and storytelling but couldn't pull the whole karmic thing together given the outstanding buildup.

Saw Cloud Atlas about 4 months ago. Very hard to follow if you haven't read the book, which I read about 2 months ago. Even the book was a bit hard to follow if you hadn't seen the movie.Posted Image Still, the book had some of the best prose I've read in a long time. Brilliant concept and storytelling but couldn't pull the whole karmic thing together given the outstanding buildup.

Was watching "Rectify" - the first series produced for the Sundance Channel - and it was perhaps not great but pretty good; compelling enough to want to see what's next and an eventual outcome to the central mystery. It seems to have suddenly disappeared after 5 episodes...

Saw Cloud Atlas about 4 months ago. Very hard to follow if you haven't read the book, which I read about 2 months ago. Even the book was a bit hard to follow if you hadn't seen the movie.tongue.png Still, the book had some of the best prose I've read in a long time. Brilliant concept and storytelling but couldn't pull the whole karmic thing together given the outstanding buildup.

Was watching "Rectify" - the first series produced for the Sundance Channel - and it was perhaps not great but pretty good; compelling enough to want to see what's next and an eventual outcome to the central mystery. It seems to have suddenly disappeared after 5 episodes...

First Season of Rectify was only 6 episodes... They are making another 10 episode season

First Season of Rectify was only 6 episodes... They are making another 10 episode season

Errr...is it too late to delete my last post?

I think I saw all 6.

PS: Can't believe I didn't find out myself but thanks for clearing up THAT mystery.

I watched Cloud Atlas a few weeks ago on dvd, I think it is a well made movie, I thought the plot was easy to follow once I made the connection between the characters and the way they were linked through time and to each other. I enjoyed it from from the opening scene to the close.

I watched Amour the Michael Haneke film twice the last time traveling between saudi and Thailand...good film, recommended...

brought back an assortment of DVDs from my collection to watch in Jeddah (ain't got no cinemas in saudi): Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Lonely are the Brave, the 400 Blows, Mon Oncle Antoine and the fourth season of Upstairs, Downstairs from the 70s amongst others...

I opened the plastic case for Mutiny on the Bounty with Charles Laughton and the DVD was missing...looks like the step daughter has been messin' wid me videos again...

I watched Cloud Atlas a few weeks ago on dvd, I think it is a well made movie, I thought the plot was easy to follow once I made the connection between the characters and the way they were linked through time and to each other. I enjoyed it from from the opening scene to the close.

If by "easy to follow" you mean it was apparent that each of the plots and characters was connected through time, then I'd agree with you. The book is much more expansive, with some of the best prose and character development I've read in a long time. The story was so well crafted it had me looking to take something really profound away with me. In the end it wasn't even "Buddhism For Dummies" and left me felling a bit disappointed. I'd still recommend the book though, because it is so well written. Maybe others will get a bigger payout than me.

Archived