2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been using the same hotels and guesthouses for years, and I don't care if they are licensed or not. as long as they meet my requirements. 

While not licensed, most hotels are still quite good in Thailand.
License is absolutely not warranty for quality

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, franck1972 said:

Most hotels in Thailand are operating without license.
Agoda or Booking.com is surely no warranty, TAT, maybe, although I know many hotels listed there that don't have any licence.

What's your purpose of knowing if they have one ? 

How do you know hotels have a licence or not?

• Like 1

I am sure the TAT not check that a business have all relevant licenses. Here are their Validation Process:

Validation Process

To make all the information given to us accurate, we have a validation process to make sure that those who submit a business are the real business owners by checking addresses and contact information or making phone calls.

https://www.tourismthailand.org/operator#process_of_approve

I do not think it is that important to choose a licensed hotel unless you pre-pay and then

the police shut down the hotel. So just don't pre-pay. No worries. Plenty of options when

you arrive.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:46 PM, ChrisKC said:

How do you know hotels have a licence or not?

I know people in high position in hotel business.
Let's put it this way. The conditions to obtain a hotel license are so difficult, that most thai hotels just cannot match all the requirements.
Therefore, many try to find some kind of "arrangements" instead...

Edited by franck1972

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Thanks to all who responded. I have a property on a resort, though not part of it. I'm therefore curious to know how "legal" my neighbour is. You can draw your own conclusions as to why I might be interested...

Afaik a hotel needs to have a minimum number of individual units (rooms), so if your neighbour is just renting out his house he can't have a license.

Edited by jackdd

On 5/12/2018 at 4:01 PM, bradiston said:

Thanks to all who responded. I have a property on a resort, though not part of it. I'm therefore curious to know how "legal" my neighbour is. You can draw your own conclusions as to why I might be interested...

Yes, I thought that was your nasty intention. 

You were lucky enough to get a licence in this country that is not your own. If your resort provides a good service to customers, then you should not be worried about competition. What's the matter? Is the neighbour providing a better service than you? 

I am one foreigner that would not support you in your heinous plan to get rid of the competition. 

Leave the neighbours alone. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, greenchair said:

You were lucky enough to get a licence in this country that is not your own. If your resort provides a good service to customers, then you should not be worried about competition. What's the matter? Is the neighbour providing a better service than you? 

I am one foreigner that would not support you in your heinous plan to get rid of the competition. 

What are you talking about !! The OP never mentioned that he has a resort or a licence himself..

I think you need to have a coffee and maybe a long walk in the fresh air :whistling: 

44 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Ah, crossed wires. I have a house, on my daughter's land, situated on his resort. His family cut my water off. I don't need a licence to rent out my house. He does. You've got the wrong guy.

I know people in high position in hotel business.

Let's put it this way. The conditions to obtain a hotel license are so difficult, that most thai hotels just cannot match all the requirements.

Therefore, many try to find some kind of "arrangements" instead...

Exactly. A news story a couple years ago stated half the hotels in Chiang Mai have no

license, including big ones.

For the average tourist why would it matter anyway? A bit of paper, Thai writing frangs can’t read anyway nailed to a wall.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Ah, crossed wires. I have a house, on my daughter's land, situated on his resort. His family cut my water off. I don't need a licence to rent out my house. He does. You've got the wrong guy.

Well not really crossed wires at all. Your intention is to find find out if he has a licence in or to close his resort down. Same same as I said with a tweek. 

A.Why did he cut your water off? Were you making trouble? 

It's illegal for him to cut your water or your entrance . Nothing to do with licencing. You are seeking revenge. In the end you might win, but you will surely lose later. 

Mark my words! !!

How can your daughters property be on his resort? 

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What are you talking about !! The OP never mentioned that he has a resort or a licence himself..

I think you need to have a coffee and maybe a long walk in the fresh air :whistling: 

He said he had property on the resort and encouraged readers to draw there own conclusions. 

So I did. 

As it turns out he in fact wants to have the resort closed out of revenge for a neighbourly dispute. 

Still nasty. 

• Confused 1

Ha. Judge and jury. Yeah, I'd like to see him closed down. So what? You assume that's out of order. You have no idea what you're taking about. Making trouble over water. What is your problem? For 10 years I paid my bills on time in full, at 40 THB per cm3. The resort owner's well has dried up. He asks his uncle to cut off the foreigners in his resort so they will be forced to fund a new well. My daughter's land is in his wretched resort because he dlsokd it to us 12 years ago, and has bitterly regretted doing so ever since. Not for anything we have done, but because he made a mistake in selling it to us. Now, foreman if the frigging jury, maybe you'd like to reconsider your verdict! Not that I particularly care what conclusion you draw, but please, base it on information you have, not that you're guessing at.

Many countries run on funds under the table. Laws, like the Hotel laws here are such a convoluted catch-22 that it makes it extremely expensive or even impossible to abide. This is by design so then you go to a fixer to get things done. Name anything you need to get done and there is a fixer that never is mentioned in an official document. You name it, immigration, drivers license, arrest, construction, banking. Whenever someone says "No, that cant be done" it actually means yes it can be done for x amount and it can be done faster for xxx amount. Actually I prefer it to the USA because NO most likely means NO. Here NO most likely mean yes for a fee.

TAT told me to enquire at the provincial branch of the Ministry of Sport and Tourism. Apparently they have lists of licensed operators.

Thanks to all who responded, except greenchair, who really needs a rabies shot IMHO.