What on earth happened to Nana Plaza?

thaibeachlovers

Just now, InMyShadow said:

A bunch of old farts talking about the good old days. You know your are seriously old when this happens

Damn, I knew I was old, but I have been talking about the good old days for forty years. I remember the sixties when Patpong was hot, Thai Heaven had hundreds of girls, and you could easily hit all the bars in Pattaya in one night.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Anything to contribute to the discussion, or just like being insulting?

Definitely not insulting.  He has a point and relevant to the thread.  

I would normally expect that you old timers have enjoyed your past conquests but there comes a time to settle down.

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Damn, I knew I was old, but I have been talking about the good old days for forty years. I remember the sixties when Patpong was hot, Thai Heaven had hundreds of girls, and you could easily hit all the bars in Pattaya in one night.

I bet you have some great stories to share!

For me end 90’s until about 2005 all was good, even Nana was heaven on earth. Many many great parties, active and attracative girls, dancing with shows, body painting and much more. That was also the time the bar girls preferred the Japanese customers above farangs.
Than I stopped drinking and this was for me the end of Nana and Soy Cowboy. I tried but sitting sober on a bar stool among drunk friends and garlic breathing bar girls was no fun anymore.
A couple of weeks ago I went back, The old G spot was ressurected, I think it now is Rainbow 4 or 5, mostly Chinese customers but the girls were not at all dancing, it was difficult to see if they were moving at all. They did’t look happy, everything became more business and less fun. I am very happy I was there when at least for me life was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Great Thai nightlife ceased to exist about 8 years ago. Two different worlds comparing 1990 - 2009 and now. NO comparison. Gave up on Cowboy 6 years ago and Nana about 5 years ago. Though have spent considerable time in Patts over the past 4 years...only been to Walking Street twice and it sucked. Overpriced everything and no shortage of "baditude". 

It's been over for a long time. 

There's a pretty good chance, even if the nightlife was identical to how it was in 1990 (that's 28 years ago!), you'd still be over it because YOU'VE changed a lot in that time and what floated your boat 28 years ago no longer does.  

Then: Hot, petite, slim, long black-haired, not old, non-tattooed, smiling, happy, great attitude girls were abundant and having fun in the go-gos. Buy a cheap "lady drink" and the "lady" or ladies just described hung out all evening. Even returning after their dance set and even if the drink was gone. Drinks were cheap, barfines were reasonable and S-T was almost unheard of, unless the customer insisted on it. Usually had to tell the girl(s), described above, when it was time to go the next day.

GF Experience was the norm and pretty much a given!

Now: Still some hotties, but not in abundance and not at every venue. Many old and overweight. Smiles are mostly gone. Buy an extremely overpriced lady drink and lucky if the lady stays till the end of the song. Drinks and barfines are prohibitive and L-T is almost unheard of...unless one takes out a loan. GF Experience is RARE to nonexistent, so who wants L-T anymore?!?  

9 minutes ago, torrzent said:

I bet you have some great stories to share!

Check out some of my prior posts, especially about the bar scene or comparisons of Thailand with other countries in SEA. My other posts are usually for stirring the pot.

6 hours ago, cms22 said:

I was around from about 1990.... Bought hardly any lady drinks in the early days. But the girls were so free and easy in those days -- I had loads of freebies! These days I don't reckon a young fella of 22 could get the same perks.

But please tell me if I'm wrong.

Young blokes who live here can get as much as they want for "free". But frankly so can most of us if thats what we want. Just go online, get tinder, whatever .... 

Remember that you pay the girls to leave. Thats often a better deal :) 

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

There's a pretty good chance, even if the nightlife was identical to how it was in 1990 (that's 28 years ago!), you'd still be over it because YOU'VE changed a lot in that time and what floated your boat 28 years ago no longer does.  

Good point. The bright lights do seem to dim down after time, no matter their brightness and I have been in and out of SEA for over 50 years. However, I have to believe things are not as good as they were. I am not just talking cheaper prices; I am speaking of better services and fewer expectations.

18 minutes ago, tropo said:

Exactly this. I still enjoy a night out in Cowboy or even WS with the right people but there is a special enjoyment when I go with a friend visiting from overseas who is effectively a newbie. They still get that same gobsmacked, not sure where to look, extreme happiness vibe that most of us have long since moved past. Nothing wrong with any of that either. We change and we also tend to see it much more clearly for what it is after a while.... 

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anything to contribute to the discussion, or just like being insulting?

Im white man not speak fork tongue. No point sugar coating it. Most of the guys posting haven't hit a go go in years, maybe decades unless like yourself come to the big smoke once a year but I find it impossible to believe coming from chiang mai your were disappointed with Nana :shock1:

On 5/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, saakura said:

Never been inside but pass by on many mornings around 0530 on my way to Lumpini park for a run. From Asoke to Nana, pathetic sight of wasted leftover hookers, ladyboys, mongers and alcoholics being fleeced by taxi mafia and early morning office goers gawking at the sight. 

Damn! Thought I was recognised.:stoner::burp::intheclub:

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

Nope...while your point is well taken...have to admit that if it was even close to the 90's...I'd still be single and hittin' it hard! It all still floats my boat! Just can't take the price gouging and "baditude". Didn't say couldn't afford it...just refuse to pay it and put up with it. It's just no fun overpaying for a crappy experience. Anyway, got my own hottie for years now...with good attitude and a great cook too! :vampire:  :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Good point. The bright lights do seem to dim down after time, no matter their brightness and I have been in and out of SEA for over 50 years. However, I have to believe things are not as good as they were. I am not just talking cheaper prices; I am speaking of better services and fewer expectations.

LOL> how can anything be as good as it was - most of us are old men now. You'd have to be if you were punting in the 80's and 90s.

From a personal point of view, bars and bar hopping soon got old for me. I hit it hard for a year or so and got over it... and that had nothing to do with the experience deteriorating as it was still prime time.

12 hours ago, KC 71 said:

I guess a lot has changed since then

Yup, sounds like the 'jig is up" on the whole damn sh%t-show! 

Banged my way through most of the 90's in BKK and beyond, had nothing but great times(most of the time) now I'm married (happily) with kids and living a peaceful quite life up in ChiangMai.

Hav'nt been to BKK for years but from time to time (especially after going out in CM) I yearn for a crawl through the old hunting grounds.Reports from friends who "toured" back in the "fun" days and having recently returned to Thailand all fume with disapproval on the degree of change they witness..and not just in BKK.

A drastic change in demographics; more older singles and families,more Chinese,trashpackers et.. even KhaoSan rd is boring, being full of families and old people,as one friend recently reported.

Ko Phangan has a road and hotel where only a few years ago a dirt bike over rough trails got you to a cheap bungalow and a group of cool people enjoying life together.

Now reality has been reduced to a 6''x4'' screen and people have lost connection to the present moment. Frustration and boredom rule the day as they continue to spend their time "seeking" what is not there.

Listen my friends....everything changes...we are not getting younger but we are getting older.

Every 9yrs a new cycle of causation begins. We are whining about 20 or 30yr.old memories,how silly is that!

Glad Im not single. Amen!

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

I just do not see the enjoyment factor about hanging out with prostitutes and buying them drinks , just sit their listening to their lies with the knowledge that shes only there with you for financial gain

Just passing time. Just not going to sit with any gal though. Has to at least tickle the fancy and be fun to kid around with. 

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Then: Hot, petite, slim, long black-haired, not old, non-tattooed, smiling, happy, great attitude girls were abundant and having fun in the go-gos. Buy a cheap "lady drink" and the "lady" or ladies just described hung out all evening. Even returning after their dance set and even if the drink was gone. Drinks were cheap, barfines were reasonable and S-T was almost unheard of, unless the customer insisted on it. Usually had to tell the girl(s), described above, when it was time to go the next day.

Now: Still some hotties, but not in abundance and not at every venue. Many old and overweight. Smiles are mostly gone. Buy an extremely overpriced lady drink and lucky if the lady stays till the end of the song. Drinks and barfines are prohibitive and L-T is almost unheard of...unless one takes out a loan. GF Experience is RARE to nonexistent, so who wants L-T anymore?!?  

AMEN! Give the man a cigar. An unsparigly accurate analysis of the "state of affairs" as it presents itself today versus "before".
What was called "Baditude" in this thread has simply increased over the years. (Indisputable!) As far as I can tell, the term "Baditude" stands for: Reduced service at an inflated price, delivered by a plump Thai Female, enamoured with her i-phone. (short version).

It was mentioned that the sexy men of yesteryear are now old geezers and therefore the girls will find them less attractive. Very funny! Since when does it matter how a customer looks to a working girl? Even 20 years ago, young ladies went with old geezers.

As Skeptic7 has pointed out above, it's the "setting" and the whole mental-framework that has changed by the suppliers of todays "Sanuk and Sabai".
Call it "Baditude" or whatever you wish. I myself liked the old "Gooditude" better than todays "Baditude".
Cheers.

32 minutes ago, swissie said:

Since when does it matter how a customer looks to a working girl?

srsly ? :saai:

try empathize for a single second, or are you in an advanced senile state ?

imagine for a second you were a toyboy, and a 69 yo brat with skin that no longer

re-shape when she changes position, fake teeth that pop out on occasion,

wants some hanky panky with you !

a girl wanted me to shag her to get her spirit up since she had an old punter

that she was suppose to meet later on, she literally cringed at the very thought of

that lose skin. she was in a state of acute distress.

i have been to a bar where hookers rented young men so as to not get

burned out shagging ole geezers,

the consensus among them is there is no sexual attraction towards anyone

above 50, pretty much same as for us men

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I expect that one day soon Nanz Plaza will cease to exist- the  land is much too valuable and once the land owner realizes the golden days of Nanaz are long gone- he will sell the whole place to a developer who will build another mall or condo complex.

The very format of Nana Plaza is questionable from a commercial standpoint.  The bars are cash-based businesses which gives much scope for benefits to be derived by the landlord.

10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I feel you got it right on as far as the girls are concerned. They have changed so much in baditude. Costs have gone up service gone down. All the young guys never saw it in the old days so cannot compare just judge us as old farts.We were treated like gold by the girls and never pushy.

That was also the age of Thai wives. When the bar girl would leave the bar to stay with you and take care of you like a devoted doting wife. When you went home she went back to the bar.If you came back the next year she would do the same again That was at that time what was called a thai wife, more like a concubine.. At the end of your holiday you simply gave her around  10,000 or more if you wanted and she was happy.

Trying to explain how it was to young guys is like trying to explain to them life before mobile phones and internet.

The new roof has raised the temperature and eliminated the breeze that used to blow through there in the evening. When I asked on Facebook if they had thought about this when deciding to cover it they blocked me from their page. 

When you put a lid on a frying pan the food does not cool down.

11 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Then: Young, reasonably fit, decent hair, non-tattooed, smiling, happy, great attitude, bit of extra cash but no budget, could actually dance, wasn't up himself (to much), bit of sense of humor and quite adventurous. Bought cheap lady drinks when worthwhile target sighted but sometimes it was a blowout, no big deal; plenty more, etc.. Would try and find ways to avoid the bar fine including 'meet me later' and hanging about till after the lights came on... but sometimes it was a blow out, no big deal; plenty more, etc.. Mostly eschewed the ST as wanted to bang like a shIthouse door first thing in the morning, raging natural hormones, etc.. Pretty much swallowed the GFE malarkey hook(er), line and sinker and would happily trot out last night's conquest for the critique of his fellow mongering mates... and pretty much anyone else who he hoped to make jealous.

Now: Sallow complexion at best... but only in the right light. Way, way out of shape and hardly ever smiles. Hunched back and has to turn whole body to follow the action. Watches the satangs like a hawk and subscribes to the theory that they ALL hate us and want ALL our money ONLY. Leers after the few hotties, tries to grab their asses when sufficiently pished but instantly sober and asking 'check bin' when an older, more homely sort closer to his age tries to lay a hand on his ED meds enhanced woody. Appreciates that all these under-the-counter ED meds make him feel like a youngster but doesn't look in the mirror to see that they have absolutely no effect on the wrinkled, unsmiling old face... apart from make it look like he's had a bit too much sun today... or like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Hasn't had a ST since the last pension check cleared and hasn't really gotten over the fact that his favorite massage lady has gone off with a 40 year-old Brad Pitt lookalike.

6 hours ago, poanoi said:

that she was suppose to meet later on, she literally cringed at the very thought of

LOL... she wanted you to shag her to 'get her spirit up' for a later encounter with a coffin dodger?

Well Brad... It is Brad Pitt isn't it? That was just a very creative way of wringing the rent out of you since she had already blown the rent money that the old geezer had given her that morning.

Talk about cringe.

Sheesh....

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

LOL... she wanted you to shag her to 'get her spirit up' for a later encounter with a coffin dodger?

Well Brad... It is Brad Pitt isn't it? That was just a very creative way of wringing the rent out of you since she had already blown the rent money that the old geezer had given her that morning.

Talk about cringe.

Sheesh....

nah, my name is niss, so i'm known as p'niss in honor of my ole age

12 hours ago, Unsane said:

Definitely not insulting.  He has a point and relevant to the thread.  

I would normally expect that you old timers have enjoyed your past conquests but there comes a time to settle down.

Threads are for people that want to contribute because they find the subject interesting. If someone doesn't find the subject interesting enough to contribute meaningfully they don't have to even look at the thread.

That they only come on to insult other people says much about their character.

I wasn't aware that TVF was only for people and subjects that some posters think should be allowed.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

I feel you got it right on as far as the girls are concerned. They have changed so much in baditude. Costs have gone up service gone down. All the young guys never saw it in the old days so cannot compare just judge us as old farts.We were treated like gold by the girls and never pushy.

That was also the age of Thai wives. When the bar girl would leave the bar to stay with you and take care of you like a devoted doting wife. When you went home she went back to the bar.If you came back the next year she would do the same again That was at that time what was called a thai wife, more like a concubine.. At the end of your holiday you simply gave her around  10,000 or more if you wanted and she was happy.

Trying to explain how it was to young guys is like trying to explain to them life before mobile phones and internet.

I found LOS just at the tail end of the "Thai wife" era, and count myself lucky. However, I never had one that would thank Buddha by praying at the foot of my bed, so I missed the best times.

However, those weeks long stays at the beach with a lovely lady were the best of my life.

All the young guys never saw it in the old days so cannot compare just judge us as old farts

So true. There's been a couple of them making comments on this thread about things they have no idea about.

Unless one was able to stay in Hollywood Royale till well after dawn, one really has no idea just how great Nana Plaza used to be. All that the new alterations are doing is, IMO, moving the deck chairs as the Nana Thaitanic sinks into oblivion.

I have no doubt that sometime in the future, the value of the land as a 5* hotel will exceed that of a Gogo complex. I think most girls work on line now anyway, which explains the demise of the Pattaya bar scene.

7 hours ago, poanoi said:

srsly ? :saai:

try empathize for a single second, or are you in an advanced senile state ?

imagine for a second you were a toyboy, and a 69 yo brat with skin that no longer

re-shape when she changes position, fake teeth that pop out on occasion,

wants some hanky panky with you !

i have been to a bar where hookers rented young men so as to not get

burned out shagging ole geezers,

the consensus among them is there is no sexual attraction towards anyone

above 50, pretty much same as for us men

I can't believe you actually know much about the scene. They just do it for the money, and care not for looks. It has always been so. Do you imagine that Hugh Heffner's young girlfriends thought he was sexy in his last days?

If a hooker is "distressed" by loose skin, she is in the wrong occupation.

Archived