For Chiang Mai Expats: How do you keep yourselves occupied in Chiang Mai?

cyberfarang

5 minutes ago, opalred said:

a simple question

is lanna care a charity or business 

not a trumpism answer maybe is/ maybe not/ yes/ no /i don't know  

Take a look at our website www.lannacarenet.org   No one pays for our services.  There is no organization to "join".  The "members" are people who have gone through some training and assist other expats because they want to give back to the community.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, cyberfarang said:

I`m going to admit I used to enjoy the girly scene when it was at it`s heyday in Chiang Mai. It was rough, but it was cheap and it was fun.

Not much fun hiking or cycling between February and the end of April, breathing in all the choking fumes from the acrid air. Same if going out on long motorbike trips. A lot of my friends are leaving Chiang Mai during those months.

What has become most irritating for me in Chiang Mai, is the immigration procedures. What used to be a simple process has now become a chore. Either having to take a chance and maybe wait hours in a queue or paying an agent to ensure a slot. Worse in the whole country.

Stay away we won't miss you promise!

12 hours ago, opalred said:

i knew a expat some years ago here /was paying insurance  to get care later when needed

when he later needed it/ the care mob said there were no rooms or beds  spare 

he had to pay a private nurse to care for him at his place  till his death 

is lanna care a charity  or a business 

I've lived here ten years and most of it has been involved with Lanna Care Net, so I think I would know about a "care mob" type of group where someone pays in advance expecting to receive care in the future.  What was the name of this organization or business?  

Hubby and I have long-term care insurance through John Hancock.  We pay a monthly fee.  We've had this for decades and have a written policy.  This insurance can be used at a wide variety of facilities once a doctor certifies that we need assistance with certain aspects of daily life.  This is the only type of "care insurance" that I'm familiar with.  I'm not aware of anyone selling this type of policy for one specific local institution.

2 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Take a look at our website www.lannacarenet.org   No one pays for our services.  There is no organization to "join".  The "members" are people who have gone through some training and assist other expats because they want to give back to the community.

A good fall back service. BTW weren't you going to leave Thailand?  (Myanmar or something?). Anyway can't be denied you have helped many people and thanks for that.

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

A good fall back service. BTW weren't you going to leave Thailand?  (Myanmar or something?). Anyway can't be denied you have helped many people and thanks for that.

Nope, not Myanmar, but rather we were planning to retire to Sabah state, Malaysia.  Even had applied for the Malaysia My Second Home 10 Year Retirement Visa, but at the last minute discovered the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty and learned how it handles the taxation of U.S.-sourced private pension income.  A U.S.-licensed accountant in Bangkok specializes in helping Americans in Thailand and saved us a pile of money that we wouldn't have if we moved to Malaysia were there isn't a similar tax treaty.  We can be bought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Nope, not Myanmar, but rather we were planning to retire to Sabah state, Malaysia.  Even had applied for the Malaysia My Second Home 10 Year Retirement Visa, but at the last minute discovered the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty and learned how it handles the taxation of U.S.-sourced private pension income.  A U.S.-licensed accountant in Bangkok specializes in helping Americans in Thailand and saved us a pile of money that we wouldn't have if we moved to Malaysia were there isn't a similar tax treaty.  We can be bought.

Ah yes apologies I could not recall. Good choice  :)  

3 hours ago, opalred said:

a simple question

is lanna care a charity or business 

not a trumpism answer maybe is/ maybe not/ yes/ no /i don't know  

From US ChingMai Conuslate website (2012):

"Lanna Care Net is not a program of the Consulate or U.S. government, but rather a local network of concerned individuals and organizations involved in assisting aging foreigners here. We’re proud to be a member of Lanna Care Net, and we hope that it will help us better serve the many older Americans in our community."

So I infer from that that -- while it uses the .org in its website URL -- Lanna Care has no formal corporate or charitable registration in Thailand or elsewhere.

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/chiangmai/231771/PDFs/consulate_quarterly_march_2012.pdf

Edited by JLCrab

so lanna care is not a charity or business 

no money involved anywhere 

interesting? 

they train people to do home care for people in need

the client has to pay for there service

and you can read in there business set up 

any profits go to-lannacarenet.org?

so its not a charity

No client is charged for any service by Lanna Care which does not mean that a Lanna Care client does not have to pay at the hospital. Lanna Care receives no financial contributions and there is no PayPal button on their website.

... and there are no profits 

3 hours ago, opalred said:

so lanna care is not a charity or business 

no money involved anywhere 

interesting? 

they train people to do home care for people in need

the client has to pay for there service

and you can read in there business set up 

any profits go to-lannacarenet.org?

so its not a charity

Did you really spend any time with our website?  Take a look at the resource links?  Lanna Care Net does not provide direct in-home, hands-on care.  We are basically a referral and counselling service.  Basically a knowledgeable best friend for someone who doesn't have one.  

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

No client is charged for any service by Lanna Care which does not mean that a Lanna Care client does not have to pay at the hospital. Lanna Care receives no financial contributions and there is no PayPal button on their website.

... and there are no profits 

Clients are certainly expected to pay their own hospital bills.  What a LCN caseworker can do however, is advise a client about their local treatment options (some of our members are retired medical professionals and/or have experienced similar conditions themselves in Chiang Mai), perhaps go with them on their doctor visits to help them understand what they're being told, perhaps help them to work with the hospital to negotiate a treatment plan, help them to apply for sources of financial assistance from veterans organizations, their governments, etc.  

For example, many U.S. veterans aren't aware that they could qualify for the VA Low Income Supplement Pension for Wartime Veterans, even if they served for just a short period in the U.S. military.  Their medical expenses count against their income.  I've been very proud to have helped many veterans to apply for and receive this pension.  And, no I don't expect a fee or % or anything like that.  It's just good to know that someone in need is benefiting from money that they're entitled to.  https://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/vetpen.asp

7 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Did you really spend any time with our website?  Take a look at the resource links?  Lanna Care Net does not provide direct in-home, hands-on care.  We are basically a referral and counselling service.  Basically a knowledgeable best friend for someone who doesn't have one.  

Be kind to dyslexics, take things slowly, is there a site with pictures he can look at?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

How sad.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"We can be bought"  .... certainly you recognize a tongue in cheek comment.  However, once we and our long-time financial adviser ran the numbers, we both reached the same gleeful conclusion.  Previously, we'd charted a path where it looked like our retirement saving were going to run out when we reached our 90s.  Now, as our financial adviser says, with the benefit of the Thai-U.S. tax treaty, we can afford to live forever.  

• Like 1