Advice needed please.

bill99

Hi, I am a recently retired Kiwi European living in NZ. I have always loved Thai food and have visited Langkawi and Phuket a couple of times looking at Yachts with a view to purchase but it is a bit hard sailing by myself, so have been thinking of flying to Malaysia or Thailand and buying a cheap campervan and having a look around Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Spending 2 or 3 years doing this and then selling van and going back to NZ.

I have looked online for campervans for sale in South East Asia but there are very few available. Then thinking about buying an empty van or stationwagon, tint the rear windows and throw a mattress in the back and off I go. Book into a motel every two or three days for a shower etc. I don't want to spend winter in NZ. Too cold

Am I crazy ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Regards Bill

• Haha 1

You are not crazy with the van or station wagon idea, many have done the same. Robust easy fix vehicles are favourite for Asia trips as most regular camper vans are not built to take much punishment.

A few years back while out on a trek from Nanning I spotted a British registered van in a Chinese guide group and jotted down web details off the side. Later found out that the guy was in a converted prisoner van doing the Europe Asia run to his home in Thailand.

He now runs a over landers resting place near Pattaya where I believe they also have Thai staff and registered agency to help with border crossings.

I am quite sure the owner can answer all of your questions.

PM me if you want more contact detail, I very occasionally pass by his place to peek at what's landed.

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

My friend converted a military ambulance. However, I think driving a motor vehicle  in and out of  Thailand might be impossible 

Why impossible, thousands do it each year. Friend of friend made the Thailand Laos China  crossing both ways  in a French registered Land Cruiser last year no problems.

Downgraded from a "yacht" to a "cheap campervan" in one sentence.   Water to land.  

If just for food and lowering living expense rents in Thailand can be very reasonable so there would not be a need to have a camper (which as noted is not common at all) and even travel can be very cheap if you really want to tour.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Just now, Fruit Trader said:

Why impossible, thousands do it each year. Friend of friend made the Thailand Laos China  crossing both ways  in a French registered Land Cruiser last year no problems.

Ah. It used to be difficult. Perhaps selling it in Thailand is a problem.  I've never seen such travellers in Thailand but used to see them all the time on the hippy trail inn the old days but never in Thailand.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Downgraded from a "yacht" to a "cheap campervan" in one sentence.   Water to land.  

If just for food and lowering living expense rents in Thailand can be very reasonable so there would not be a need to have a camper (which as noted is not common at all) and even travel can be very cheap if you really want to tour.  Good luck.

And driving can be a stress and a responsibility and an excuse for the cops to hassle you

• Confused 1

a cheap room will still beat living at the back of a pickup any day of the week,

and as you said, you would still need to get a room every 2nd day to get a shower etc.

i see rooms for 5k/month every day, and once upon a time i saw a room

for 2k/month i could live in, probably 3k now but still you cant really get cheaper than that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I would buy/rent a motorbike and tour around but that may not be you.

All too often in Thailand, this is the result of motorcycle riding:

5af026042c439_2018-05-0717_07_27.jpg.623f5dce9c905f5d66aa913d9e3da0f7.jpg

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1037027-end-of-a-mans-dreams-at-22-because-female-pick-up-driver-went-through-a-red-light/

Or this:

5af026a167cce_2018-05-0717_11_06.jpg.818db3782ace1bec371c1ea06e7fdd40.jpg

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1037020-motorcycle-street-racing-what-happens-when-things-go-wrong-four-dead/

19 hours ago, bill99 said:

Book into a motel every two or three days for a shower etc.

By the second day you'll notice people covering their noses in your vicinity and by the third day you'll  be attracting mosquitos from as far away as Vietnam. 

Not sure what "etc" covers, but taking that much Lomotil to contain things for two or three days at a time isn't advisable.

19 hours ago, bill99 said:

I am a recently retired Kiwi European living

Ah, English, are you?

• Haha 1

I have a Toyata HiAce van converted to a camper van in Australia.. I keep it for use when I visit there.. it works well for me there... but here in LOS.. I don't think so.. In a dry climate it is fine.. in rain and high humidity everything gets damp and it is very uncomfortable.   I haven't tried it here but I think finding suitable places to park it could be a challenge. My thinking is that if you want to get off the beaten track a bit and are into motorcycles that might be a better bet.  But of course there is a lot of risk with the crazy drivers here.  Rooms are cheap and not hard to find.  I have a friend who has traveled all over Thailand and Laos on a 125 Honda Wave.. Bus, train and plane travel are cheap.. perhaps rent a bike to get off the beaten track.. If you haven't ridden one before don't try learning on the roads here.. especially the dirt tracks on the islands..  have fun..

• Like 1

Not English from England but yes English from New Zealand. Home of the All Blacks and the America's Cup. The land downunder, where men are men and sheep are afraid haha

Edited by bill99
Made mistake

get your international driving permit and buy a cheap pick up or van and stay at hotels and resorts (motels) overnight in the air con rooms, you can get good clean rooms at a lot of hotels and resorts (motels) for 300-400 baht per night. roadside parking areas are hard to find and they are not always safe. If you can't take the vehicle across the border for some reason then sell it and buy another one in the next country

• Like 1

Many nice rooms (Thais call resorts I don’t know why) with air and Tv and showers in Thailand on the road for 300 - 400 baht a night. TV will be mostly Thai but room good and safe and cheap. Drive all over Thailand and stay as long as you want and no need for advance reservations. Easier if you learn a little bit of thai language first as some village areas English is not spoken. Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Sleeping in a campervan in the Thai climate strikes me as the same weight reduction strategy used by jockeys.

Yes it is and quickly realised by those coming down from the cold north. Most hit the tent or cheap accommodation while in this region. 

Few months ago I seen a camper van in Patong with Iranian plates on it, it had bike racks on rear, an electric awning on the side and extendable roof - looked a real doozy - the first vehicle I have ever seen with Iranian plates TBH

• Like 1

132 days in Thailand, much time outside big cities,  and I have never seen a camper van.  I have never seen a campground.   It would be hot to sleep, dangerous at night or leaving such a thing unattended. No washout stations.   But I have wondered if this is a possible growth industry. 

• Like 2

I can't see the daily rental price of a camper van?  Can't imagine this is a viable option.  But Europeans sure love to rent them in Las Vegas and tour Utah's 4 big national Parks.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

132 days in Thailand, much time outside big cities,  and I have never seen a camper van.  I have never seen a campground.   It would be hot to sleep, dangerous at night or leaving such a thing unattended. No washout stations.   But I have wondered if this is a possible growth industry. 

Go to the car shows and you'll see camper vans for sale.  

Check the links I posted.... 

Hot?  Ever hear of airconditioning?

On 5/7/2018 at 11:06 AM, Fruit Trader said:
You are not crazy with the van or station wagon idea, many have done the same. Robust easy fix vehicles are favourite for Asia trips as most regular camper vans are not built to take much punishment.

A few years back while out on a trek from Nanning I spotted a British registered van in a Chinese guide group and jotted down web details off the side. Later found out that the guy was in a converted prisoner van doing the Europe Asia run to his home in Thailand.

He now runs a over landers resting place near Pattaya where I believe they also have Thai staff and registered agency to help with border crossings.

I am quite sure the owner can answer all of your questions.

PM me if you want more contact detail, I very occasionally pass by his place to peek at what's landed.

Thanx for the reminder, I joined this site a couple years ago, have forgotten all about it.  I will be off-contract for about seven months next year, plan on doing a lot of overland travels.  I live in JomTien s will pay him a visit............:wai:

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

Go to the car shows and you'll see camper vans for sale.  

Check the links I posted.... 

Hot?  Ever hear of airconditioning?

Yes - for sale - as is just about anything else in the world.  

Airconditioning without AC hookups?  With noise, cost and pollution of generators?

Dumping black/gray water on side of roads?  

• Thanks 1

I love camping vans in the USA to go to Yellowstone, Zion National Park etc.  it makes sense as good travel and lots of stopping options to park and spend a few days. I am not an expert on camping vans in Thailand but IMO not the same as USA. I love to travel by road so I have rented cars for months at at time and later met a Thai friend with a car and traveled a lot of Thailand on the road and stopped at the 300 to 400 baht resort rooms. IMO that is the best way to go as not a lot of planning and when you have had enough of an area you move on. If you can speak a little Thai not fluent you will meet a lot of Thai people and they have been gracious and helpful. You will see things like the mulam shows and local events that you will enjoy. Some have pools but most not. The hotel buffet in Khon Kaen at the Kosa Hotel is 200 baht for example. Many rooms in Khon Kaen for 300 to 400 baht a night. Many local food stalls are 30 baht or 40 baht. Some of the best Tom Yum soup I have eaten was 30 baht at a Thai stall and IMO better than the 200 baht soup in Bangkok. Just one example and this is typical all over north and south Thailand. Some village rooms are 300 baht and new and large nice room with refrigerator, Thai TV maybe 2 channels in English, covered parking space, nice shower area.  Beds can be hard but will be clean and safe. Coffee at the rooms is instant and coffee at the hotel buffets is not to my liking to I stop at cafe amazon or other local coffee shops when available. You could buy a coffee pot at BIg C for 250 baht and brew your own coffee. Good luck and you will learn a lot and meet some good people IMO.  

On a further note when I have eaten at local Thai places sometimes police or others show up to see the outsider and speak English. Their English is as bad as my Thai so it works out. But meeting a few cops or locals and keeping their information by line account makes me feel better in case I have an accident or problem then I have someone thai to contact.