Grab Must Stand Down To End Taxi Wars: Military

snoop1130

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nice videos with the op article!  :w00t:

And who ever said Thailand isn't an eminently civilized place!  :cheesy:

Must be fake news. We are always being told that Thais are a peaceful people who avoid confrontation at all costs.

• Haha 1

The thread seems to be Bangkok-centric so far.  Let's introduce the Pattaya situation where "meter taxis" refuse to use the meter, and negotiated fares are multiples of what a proper metered fare would be.  i.e. In Pattaya, there basically is no taxi service as known in the rest of the civilized world.  In the Pattaya market, Grab is a godsend for those who don't want to own a car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

Perhaps if taxis / bikes didn't refuse customers, this wouldn't have happened. Competition is good.

Yes. I've long been puzzled why taxi drivers plead poverty but don't realise that if they picked up passengers and took them where they want to go - you know, like in the rest of the world - those passengers would give them money. Problem solved. But for some reason that concept appears to be far too difficult for a Thai taxi driver to understand.

• Like 1

Not sure for the bike taxis, but things may not seem that bad for the Bangkok Taxi crooks as they regularly refuse runs...the official taxis are just a bunch of cheats, trying to rip off as many farangs and locals as possible on a daily basis....

...not to mention the never ending arguments on refusal to turn on the taxi meter...

I have absolutely no sympathy for such cheats and will continue to use alternative means of transport either with Grab,  other taxi apps or public transport.

They should follow singapore and only allow married drivers with no criminal background.

That would only leave handful of drivers so they hardly ever bump into each other to fight :-)

Seriously needs cleaning up as about the worst taxi service I ever encountered.

Do get the odd extra good cab driver though and I feel sorry for those guys as the bad apples have ruined taxi image in thailand.

I seen and had step in on driver attacking a girl with wheel wrench, Had a japanese tourist raped and dumped near soi sap when I lived nearby, amount of half drugged or just outright scamming drivers I had displeasure wave in and not want use is immense figure.

Love Singapore drivers, they so friendly, even advise people on walking when close and easy, give change and receipts, polite and clean, mechanically sound cars and not that much more expensive .

Thailand taxis is a sham, police is a sham, and prime minister is a clown and a sham .

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

I have absolutely no sympathy for such cheats and will continue to use alternative means of transport either with Grab,  other taxi apps or public transport.

That's the spirit.  Don't patronise them and spread the message of what a terrible service many of them offer.  

I've met many a good taxi driver in LOS but it's so haphazard as to what you'll actually get that we've given up on them as well.   

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. I've long been puzzled why taxi drivers plead poverty but don't realise that if they picked up passengers and took them where they want to go - you know, like in the rest of the world - those passengers would give them money. Problem solved. But for some reason that concept appears to be far too difficult for a Thai taxi driver to understand.

A  lot of Thais  role out the "poverty" drivel, often it can be replaced by bone idle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Issue from what i have read is the lack of Licenses , no mention of full insurance to cover passengers in the event of an accident , as one unlucky lady found out recently having to foot the medical bill's , there was no mention of the taxi driver having insurance to cover it  

Yes, bad bad Grab

Use the lovely taxis

- no insurance (as the UK woman experienced with 35,000 GBP hospital bill)

- too far / too much traffic respond in Bangkok

- mafia prices higher than EU or Australia in areas such Phuket, Ko Samui, Hua Hin etc

Edited by WonderfulDay
  • Sad 1