Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Without a passport in the worst case scenario you will be taken to police station and be kept there until somebody brings you your passport.

Confiscated means your car will be taken to some parking space, the keys taken away from you, and when the renter pays the fine he may take it back.

Always look at the bright side. Maybe I will get to know my local policestations more and more better and its employees by name. Next time I will be stopped they will greet me "Hi Mr. moogradod - you again - please have a nice drive". Or so. Or maybe not. Actually not really funny.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jackdd said:

An IDL is also only valid as long as you are living (have residency) in your home country. The 3 months is not the age of the IDL, but it's only valid for 3 months in the country from your arrival (for people who stay here on a tourist visa it's obviously no problem, because they have to leave after 90 days anyway).

So for people who stay here on a tourist visa an IDL is fine, others should get a Thai license.

i keep seeing this IDL, it is not a licence it is a permit aka IDP

1 minute ago, pacovl46 said:

Literally everyone who has any type of proper drivers license from most of the western countries has more knowledge about how to be a good driver than any Thai, the reason being that it takes 3 months of theoretical and physical training and a test for both to obtain the license as opposed to doing one theoretical test and a little drive around the parking lot.

That may be so, but you're discussing this on a forum where most people are a bit older and wiser and may have had accidents to learn from.

I was well trained, as was the normal practice to get a licence in my home country, but I was still crazy on the roads in my younger years despite that. The roads in Australia used to be like speedways in the 70's and 80's, until speed cameras (and heavy fines along with loss of licence), became hard to avoid...

I don't think the training makes a lot of difference. It's more about maturity and how the laws are enforced. Pattaya is a VERY young town with a large percentage of them on 2 wheels.

1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

i keep seeing this IDL, it is not a licence it is a permit aka IDP

The names differ, see for example wikipedia:  "An International Driving Permit (IDP), also called an International Driving License (IDL)"

For example on the german one they use the german word for "license" and not the word for "permit"

Everybody here knows what we are talking about, doesn't matter if we call it IDP or IDL ;)

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

Then you cannot rent a car longer than 3 months. How about people being here with a METV ? This rule is most probably not applied. An IDL is valid for 3 years. This would as well mean that you would need to apply for a new IDL in your home country all the time just prior entering Thailand if you would like to rent a car. Not even sure if my home country would issue a new IDL every year when the old one is still valid. There must be something wrong with that or it is actually on paper dating from 1949 but officially ignored nowadays.

There are two types of IDL, one is valid for one year, the other is valid for three years. Thailand only accepts the one year IDL, not the three year IDL. 

You can buy an IDL as often as you like from the organisation that sells them in your home country.

One thing about the current administration, is that anything declared under them, only lasts for two weeks. After that, all is forgotten. If there is one thing Tiny Prayuth, and his underlings do well, it is to forget declarations very quickly!

for me riding around and seeing diff parts of where i stay is one of the reasons i come to thailand, same same for many tourists i think. thailand does not accept provisional licences which many tourists have but they seem to accept no licences in regards to thais

I'm an advocate for the international permit IDP along with your home countries licence as a way to drive legally in Thailand.  It is often posted on these forums that there is a limit to 3 months of use with IDP but I have researched and found it to be valid for 1 year with the police and my insurance company regardless of how old you are or what Visa you have. You can check yourself. Don't rely on private unofficial websites. Check with the authorities.

There are always exceptions to the rules and weird stuff happens so at best get a Thai licence, next best IDP. Choose what is best for you.

Interestingly my friend, a month ago, got stopped by police and they accepted that he only had an Australian licence and was allowed to be on his way.  I think he was lucky.

18 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Interesting, I imagine the majority of tourists renting bikes have no valid motorbike license.

This will hit the hire companies hard, IF enforced.

I would say most of them have never sat on a bike before coming to Thailand.

The attitude is 'I'm on holiday and it looks like fun to ride one of these little things, just like a bicycle with a small engine'

Edit.

Forgot to add

Twa-s

10 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

There are two types of IDL, one is valid for one year, the other is valid for three years. Thailand only accepts the one year IDL, not the three year IDL. 

You can buy an IDL as often as you like from the organisation that sells them in your home country.

please    you cannot buy an IDL   all countries have there own testing system, therefore to get an IDL you would have to pass the test in all international countries. it is a permit which permits you to drive as long as you have a licence in those countries

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well it is only a crime if there is a law or regulation against it.

Foreign licences are written in foreign languages, IDPs are too, neither in Thai. So the rental shop staff have to be able to read English?

Easier to make the customer sign a contract where he accepts all liability and confirms he has a valid licence..... written in Thai of course.

Well I fave 2 foreign licences and they are both written in English so I guess that's foreign enough. And yes the IDP is foreign too, couldn't get one in Thai, however I reckon if a rental company doesn't have someone to recognise valid driving licences they are in the wrong business.

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The names differ, see for example wikipedia:  "An International Driving Permit (IDP), also called an International Driving License (IDL)"

For example on the german one they use the german word for "license" and not the word for "permit"

Everybody here knows what we are talking about, doesn't matter if we call it IDP or IDL ;)

fair enough but i still maintain that a licence    no no ive had enough 555

8 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

please    you cannot buy an IDL   all countries have there own testing system, therefore to get an IDL you would have to pass the test in all international countries. it is a permit which permits you to drive as long as you have a licence in those countries

Total crap.

It's not a licence. It's a translation of your home county issued licence.

It may be 'valid' for a year but different countries decide how long you can use it their country. In Thailand that's 3 months then you nedd to get a Thai licence or leave and re-enter to get another 3 months.

2 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

In order to get an IDL,  you just need to show a proper, valid driving license and a photo.

No test, as far as i know.

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I'm an advocate for the international permit IDP along with your home countries licence as a way to drive legally in Thailand.  It is often posted on these forums that there is a limit to 3 months of use with IDP but I have researched and found it to be valid for 1 year with the police and my insurance company regardless of how old you are or what Visa you have. You can check yourself. Don't rely on private unofficial websites. Check with the authorities.

There are always exceptions to the rules and weird stuff happens so at best get a Thai licence, next best IDP. Choose what is best for you.

Interestingly my friend, a month ago, got stopped by police and they accepted that he only had an Australian licence and was allowed to be on his way.  I think he was lucky.

I can drive in Europe on an Aussie licence but to drive in Thailand I have to buy an IDP to keep kosher - go figure. Over regulation should be a sin!!!

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Don't listen to some police guy who doesn't have a clue about laws anyway

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

Section 42
Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver’s license. The driver must carry the driver’s license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

Tourist visa: IDP is fine

Non immigrant visa: Have to get a Thai license

17 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

In my country you have to have a valid local licence for driving/riding. This is hard and expensive to get, costing on the order of 300,000 ThB and taking approximately six months of intensive courses to accomplish. Once you have this in hand you can get an IDL/IDP from your local automotive union, like AAA or similar with no extra testing. All you have to do is bring a picture in passport format and money. So, yes, you can buy an IDL/IDP after you have your ordinary, local drivers licence.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

But we differ on the validity, i was told is 1 year for Thailand.

There are simply two different IDP conventions, one from 1949 (license valid for one year) and the one from 1968 (license valid for 3 years), doesn't have anything to do with Thailand

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Many states in the US do not require a separate Motorcycle license so a normal passenger vehicle license is sufficient to operate a motorcycle."

That's the way it should be, if someone is competent enough to pass a driving test in a western country, they should be competent and sensible enough to ride a low powered motorbike say up to 125cc. These people should know about the stupidity of most Thai motorbike riders and act accordingly. 

Not true.  Most states do require separate motorcycle written and driving tests to either get a separate motorcycle license or a motorcycle addition to a regular drivers license.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Don't listen to some police guy who doesn't have a clue about laws anyway

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/

Tourist visa: IDP is fine

Non immigrant visa: Have to get a Thai license

Not just some police guy. Go to police stations and ask the head officers there. Where does it say or which official place does it say Non immigrant visa - have to get Thai licence? 

An immigrant visa not  a non-immigrant visa needs a Thai licence as stated from the link you posted.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

On a bigger picture, over-regulation is coming to Thailand.

Not only the foreigners are affected by that, but of course we are the easier target, as we are supposed to have enough money to pay the fines.

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Not just some police guy. Go to police stations and ask the head officers there. Where does it say or which official place does it say Non immigrant visa - have to get Thai licence? 

An immigrant visa not  a non-immigrant visa needs a Thai licence as stated from the link you posted.

Section 42-2

Obviously the translation is not 100% correct. An immigrant visa doesn't exist, so we can assume it means non-immigrant.

And that's a translation of the Thai law, way above some police guy.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Obviously the translation is not 100% correct. An immigrant visa doesn't exist, so we can assume it means non-immigrant.

And that's a translation of the Thai law, way above some police guy.

An immigrant visa means you become a permanent resident. A few are offered apparently in Thailand every year. Maybe another member that has such a visa can confirm this. I've seen posts about it.

A non-immigrant visas recognizes that your still resident of another country but have reason to be in Thailand, such as retirement with extension of stays, working etc.

Maybe someone would like to check the Thai version to see that it infact says Immigrant and not Non immigrant.

But as it stands the English version suggests all OK on IDP for non immigrant.

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

There are simply two different IDP conventions, one from 1949 (license valid for one year) and the one from 1968 (license valid for 3 years), doesn't have anything to do with Thailand

In Switzerland, only a IDP for 3 years exists. You simply do not get something else. And with this one I have rented cars in Thailand mutliple times. Another matter is how long you may use this license in LOS and under what circumstances (tourist, non-immi-o etc.) as has been statd before.

The IDP is only valid in connection with the original driving license from your home country. It is rather a translation, not a license in itself. You will be told this when you buy one (it is only buy because it is based on the actual license that you have already). And this one is really hard to get in Switzerland. I wish only 30% of it was demanded in the driving test in Thailand.

My wife will soon make her license in LOS. I would never risk to let her drive alone after passing the test for at least a year (or more).

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

In Switzerland, only a IDP for 3 years exists. You simply do not get something else. And with this one I have rented cars in Thailand mutliple times. Another matter is how long you may use this license in LOS and under what circumstances (tourist, non-immi-o etc.) as has been statd before.

The IDP is only valid in connection with the original driving license from your home country. It is rather a translation, not a license in itself. You will be told this when you buy one (it is only buy because it is based on the actual license that you have already). And this one is really hard to get in Switzerland. I wish only 30% of it was demanded in the driving test in Thailand.

My wife will soon make her license in LOS. I would never risk to let her drive alone after passing the test for at least a year (or more).

From the law Act below, stating the time validity is clearly avoided for IDP and so it may seem sensible that if you have a 1 year IDP it would be valid for 1 year. And even a 3 year IDP would be valid for 3 years in Thailand, But I'm from Australia and can only get 1 year. I havent researched the lawfullness of a 3 year.

Section 44
A driver’s license under the category #1 – #6 or #9 is valid for one year. A driver’s license under the category #7 or #8 is valid for three years. Upon renewal of a driver’s license, it is valid for either one year or three years.

A driver’s license under the category #2, #3 or #6 may be renewed as valid for life.

10. International Driving Permit for a car or motorcycle

Lets compare a multi entry O visa that is valid for a year but, you have to leave and re-enter every three months to be legally in Thailand.

An IDP is similar in the way it works. It may itself be valid for a year but like the multi O it works for 3 months then if you leave Thailand and enter say Malaysia it will be accepted for the length of time they stipulate.

Return to Thailand after a couple of days/months and your IDP can be used for another 3 months.

If in Thailand you convert your 'visa' ( single or multi ) to an extension of stay for instance then the 'official line' is that after 90 days you should get a Thai licence.

Whether PC Plod on route 3 is aware of this or not doesn't come into it.

You might be lucky for 2 or 3 years with your country licence and your valid for 3 years IDP, but, if you plough into some HISO's son or daughter's Merc' and cause them injury then you're on your own.

Archived