Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

snoop1130

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Oh stop being so childish and move on with your silly life.   My original post was nothing about what was indicated on a license.  I simply said, and I will repeat one more time since you refuse to pay attention to it is that the article just said a foreigner must prevent a valid license.  The article did not explicitly say it must be a moto license.  You can continue to talk past that and mouth off about anything else you want.  None of which is relevant to what I first and have continuously said.  Now get back to your paper route and make sure you are home before the street lights are on so your mother will not spank your childish bottom

Oooh, someone threw their dummy out of their pram. And how do you 'prevent' a valid license? 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2018 at 4:44 PM, MunkyBoogar said:

But are they also going to fine Thai citizens 1000B for driving without a license? That would be a Negatory Ghostrider!

The whole thing in the article is about rented vehicles by tourists. Thai citizens rarely rent bikes.....

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

The whole thing in the article is about rented vehicles by tourists. Thai citizens rarely rent bikes.....

No.. it’s about selective enforcement of riding a motorcycle without a license.... 

When the BiB pull over a motorcycle they have no idea if it’s rented or not.

But they can clearly identify foreign tourists (Westerners)... 

Thus: this is really just selective enforcement.

While I agree that untrained tourists without a license should not be riding motorcycle and penalised if they are caught... the same should apply for Thai's.

I welcome this. Tourists coming to Pattaya think they can fly , walk into any rental shop and ride a bike for the first time in their lives. And of course no license, 

Then they end up in the hospital and are asking for financial support  because they have no insurance to pay the bill , it happens monthly in Pattaya.

So if the rental shops know they will get fined 2000 baht if the rider does not carry a license / helmet , a lot of accidents will be avoided for sure. 

Now lets see if it will be enforced , I have my doubts but I really hope so. 

On 5/9/2018 at 9:17 PM, Darren palmer said:

I think its a good idea to fine the hire company to they make sure the tourist has a license , ive seen tourists hire bikes and not even get 100 yards up the road before they smash them selfs up, then the hire companies are rubbing there hands and ripping them off with the cost of bike repairs, how many times have we seen tourists with no insurance on these fund me pages asking for money for medical bill's because they decided they didn't need the £20 - £30 extra charge on there package holiday....?..... 

True. People on online travel forums will quickly discourage a tourist who wants to rent and drive a car themselves in Thailand and other regional countries because it's "too dangerous" but strangely these same people encourage tourists to rent much more dangerous motorcycles and mopeds?! Where's the logic in this? Motorcycles are far more dangerous than cars, anyone with common sense should be encouraging either the opposite or that tourists don't drive any vehicle themselves period.

However, most westerners are at least used to driving cars, which tend to be insured (unlike motorcycles) whereas few western tourists have valid motorcycle licenses because they don't own a motorcycle in their own countries and many of them have never even ridden one before arriving in Thailand. I think it's a no brainer to enforce the license requirement for renting motorcycles - you can't rent a car without a driver's license, why then are motorcycles rented out to people without motorcycle rider licenses? Makes no sense to me.

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is disgusting.... 'if Tourists' - 1000baht fines & Confiscation of the Bike... 

So what about Thai's riding without a license? This is nothing more than the police creating an easy target, a money maker... Its clumsy, its xenophobic, it stinks... 

IF the announcement was that if anyone is caught driving without a licence they would face a 1000baht (or more would be better) and confiscation of the bike....  it would be much better... but as it is, unbalanced penalty stinks... 

There you go many here have advocated the police doing just what this thread says but now they are doing it we have to complain about it. Two seperate issues tourist enforcement and Thai people enforcement.At least they are talking tuff about keeping tourist from killing themselves.

I live in Chiang Mai and have talked two people out of renting a bike who had no experience back home. The Chinese are different matter altogether.

I go to thailand for 3 months each year and cruise around on my friends scooter so now i am wondering how can i get a motorcycle license in thailand on a SETV when i cant even get a bank account? To get a motor scooter license in Oz you need to sit and pay for the exact same tests as a motorcyle license.. this is the breakdown....

Sit learners permit 430 which is a 2 day course...

After having permit for 3 months minimum you have to sit check ride test 230 which takes 3.5 hours

You then go back again and  sit the license assesment 200 which takes 1 hour.

I am also guessing you would need at least a scooter to go to the tests on and do some practice on...That is a major inconvenience of time and money just to ride a scooter..

Does anyone know if  there is any  way in thailand to get a motorcycle license on a  SETV ?????

I have car license and bring a IDP with me but not motorcycle license.....

I got one of those international driving permits once.  The problem is that it's not that cheap considering it's only good for a year.  At least not in my country.  So I never bothered getting another one.  I would rather risk the fine, which is about the same cost as the permit anyways.

3 minutes ago, lapd said:

I got one of those international driving licenses once.  The problem is that it's not that cheap considering it's only good for a year.  At least not in my country.  So I never bothered getting another one.  I would rather risk the fine, which is less money, than the hassle and cost of getting the international license.

international driving license £5.50 in the uk... 

6 hours ago, johnny2times said:

I go to thailand for 3 months each year and cruise around on my friends scooter so now i am wondering how can i get a motorcycle license in thailand on a SETV when i cant even get a bank account? To get a motor scooter license in Oz you need to sit and pay for the exact same tests as a motorcyle license.. this is the breakdown.... 

Sit learners permit 430 which is a 2 day course... 

After having permit for 3 months minimum you have to sit check ride test 230 which takes 3.5 hours

You then go back again and  sit the license assesment 200 which takes 1 hour.

I am also guessing you would need at least a scooter to go to the tests on and do some practice on...That is a major inconvenience of time and money just to ride a scooter..

Does anyone know if  there is any  way in thailand to get a motorcycle license on a  SETV ?????

I have car license and bring a IDP with me but not motorcycle license.....

You need to get a certificate of residence to get a driving license in Thailand. If you can get a certificate of residence with a SETV depends on which province you are at (in Bangkok you can't) or from which country you are if you plan to get it from your embassy (don't know if you can get it from Oz embassy)

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

There you go many here have advocated the police doing just what this thread says but now they are doing it we have to complain about it. Two seperate issues tourist enforcement and Thai people enforcement.At least they are talking tuff about keeping tourist from killing themselves.

I live in Chiang Mai and have talked two people out of renting a bike who had no experience back home. The Chinese are different matter altogether.

I agree, there's a huge difference in law enforcement. Every Thai Tom, Dick & Harry can ride past traffic policemen helmetless and mostly get away with it. They can ride 3, 4 or 5 up, crash red lights... do pretty much anything they like without being stopped. When you're a foreigner, they are extremely concerned about your safety and will stop you for any hint of wrongdoing.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:35 AM, djdubuque said:

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.  Those in doubt should contact their embassy/consulate for advice.

So if this is the law how is it that Pattaya Police can change it to require a IDL?  It's all about the Baht

Or...... Khao san rd and 2000 baht:thumbsup:

I used to rent motor scooters when I came here, but changed to renting a car in the past few years. The primary reasons are safety and comfort.  I'm getting to the age where putting my wife plus my large posterior on a bike seat is getting challenging to say the least.

Plus car rental here is quite reasonable, especially for long term rentals.  I usually pay something just over 500 baht a day for a nice little Toyota with insurance. Plus, we use it as a refuge when it rains, or we get too hot from walking around. Also, it is freedom. You can't take a 100km road trip on a scooter without causing serious spinal damage or at least a permanent case of "numb bum".  With a car, we can do day trips and overnights anywhere.  

Plus, I think the "danger" aspect of driving here is a bit overblown. It may be a challenge for folks who come from countries where you drive on the right side (North America, Europe..) but I've gotten used to driving on the left so it's not a problem. I just imagine that every other driver on the road here is a drunken shizophrenic and no worries.

Yesterday morning   southbound Sukhumvit road  they where pulling over every motorbike into the slip road for Greenway golf club  to check for licence and tax..maybe helmet too

(most now wear helmets)...that's the second time I have been stopped there..last year they got me going northbound one day then southbound the next day.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.8965948,100.8971709,3a,75y,156.87h,90.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAfBFYXeMK1YOaPnUpYfsgw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656stop.jpg.50cfc9dd81147981ca7f09dca5c15d1f.jpg

14 hours ago, lapd said:

I got one of those international driving permits once.  The problem is that it's not that cheap considering it's only good for a year.  At least not in my country.  So I never bothered getting another one.  I would rather risk the fine, which is about the same cost as the permit anyways.

In case of an accident, will your insurance (if any) compensate you?

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

The first rule in Thailand is that the farang is always the one to blame.  If you get hit by a bus and survive, you will probably have to pay the bus company for damages.  Seriously, if you get in an accident, the best thing you can do is disappear because you will be blamed and there will be demands for compensation, no matter who's fault it really is.

Is this "the farang is always to blame" a myth or are there recent real life examples ? It would basically mean that for a foreign national a car insurance is obsolete and serves no purpose. I know TIT but this is still a bit hard to believe. To disappear into thin air is as well not a good advice in this world of dash cams. Besides - you should have a dash cam (better 2) yourself. Given the evidence I would really wonder if a foreigner would be held responsible if it may be clearly proven that he is not.

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Is this "the farang is always to blame" a myth or are there recent real life examples ? It would basically mean that for a foreign national a car insurance is obsolete and serves no purpose. I know TIT but this is still a bit hard to believe. To disappear into thin air is as well not a good advice in this world of dash cams. Besides - you should have a dash cam (better 2) yourself. Given the evidence I would really wonder if a foreigner would be held responsible if it may be clearly proven that he is not.

Did I mention a car anywhere?  You just want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing and think you have it all figured out so best of luck with that?

1 hour ago, lapd said:

The first rule in Thailand is that the farang is always the one to blame.  If you get hit by a bus and survive, you will probably have to pay the bus company for damages.  Seriously, if you get in an accident, the best thing you can do is disappear because you will be blamed and there will be demands for compensation, no matter who's fault it really is.

To do a "runner" is something that is dedicated for thais and thais only....

11 hours ago, Vacuum said:

6 hours ago, lapd said:

The first rule in Thailand is that the farang is always the one to blame.  //

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

Is this "the farang is always to blame" a myth or are there recent real life examples ? 

For me it's now a myth.

It probably was true many years (decades!) ago, but nowadays if you have an accident, you just call your insurance and its agent will manage the problem. Insurances (and court if justice implied) will just strictly apply the rules. Being Farang or Thai has (nearly?) no impact on the result.

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

For me it's now a myth.

It probably was true many years (decades!) ago, but nowadays if you have an accident, you just call your insurance and its agent will manage the problem. Insurances (and court if justice implied) will just strictly apply the rules. Being Farang or Thai as (nearly?) no impact on the result.

I'm not talking about insurance claims.  

Archived