Pattaya police get tough on licences: Fines for tourists AND rental companies AND confiscation of vehicle

snoop1130

I've owned my own bike and gotten away with just my US (car only) driver's license for years.  I'm not here on a non-0 visa.  Has anyone actually had their bike confiscated/gotten a ticket with a valid car license from their home country?  Meaning you were in possession of a license but not an IDP?

tia

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In one's home country yes. In thailand, I bet there is not even such a distinction, and as I said, the article just says the foreigner must present a driver license.  It does not explicitly say it must show a motorcycle driver license, and I bet the local Thai bike dealer would not know the difference.  You are free to assume what you want as to what is going to be really required.

Are you really as thick as you sound, or as thick as the Thai bike dealer you mention. Drive CAR = Car License, drive MOTORBIKE = Motorbike license. Foreigner = I D P for either.

IDP in conjuction with DL from your country required over 4 years now. See my thread from April 2014 . I was stopped by Police in Pattaya April 2014 . Farrang Policeman. No he wasnt fake/tourist Police etc .. Most didnt believe me/ him . Most thought was a scam . Ticket paid at Soi 9. ( Not to policeman)

RAC website clearly says IDP required for Thailand to.

Regarding rental companys , I can see the logic in rental comanys not only taking copies of DL/ IDP & Passport as proof they were shown, but also a 2000 baht deposit , PLUS  getting customer to sign a paper saying ..

" I ( The rentee) have read & understand that I must keep my passport (Original) with me + DL + IDP at all times whilst driving. In the event I am  stopped police may  impound bike and the 2000 baht dep will be forfeited  as police will charge rental company 2000 to retrieve MC".....Simple really.

Yes it should apply to all to carry a valid  DL ( and IDP where applicable) ,plus wear a  helmet . Not wear one and  you should be the first to be stopped ( Any Nationality). Oh my Thai GF was stopped for no DL , 400 baht fine . So is not just farrangs but mostly so I have to say.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:20 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

So I guess that out of all road deaths and accidents  the 80% death rate of motorcycle riders is mainly foreign riders??????

It is easy to read a statistic and claim to be an expert. Many do it on TVF and never drive in Thailand ever.  Hard to be an expert when you have no experience except reading about it. 

Personally living in a country and never driving is strange to me unless you have a disability or age problem or never leave your neighborhood or like bus travel instead of driving yourself. 

I could argue statistics with you but waste of time and typing. I have driven over 2,000 miles in Thailand over the last two years in cities and villages and on the highways. I also have driven in Beijing and Shanghai and Shenzhen China and all the major cities of USA. The Thais have a different way of driving and I accept that but it is mainly tourists on bikes that are the problem and also Thai and expats drunk driving. In fact I believe the Thais are more efficient drivers that other nations because their driving  rules are relaxed and more efficient getting from point A to B.  I can guarantee with some exceptions that the Thai bike riders are much better than most expats. Some expats are experts but IMO they are the exception not the rule.  Most Thai bike riders IMO are experts except when driving intoxicated. 

On 09/05/2018 at 3:09 PM, mommysboy said:

Yup, farangs cause all the traffic problems- you've only got to see Thailand's enviable road traffic accidents statistics to understand that!  Er, no..... hang on a mo..

They don't want unlicensed foreigners in accidents added to their own accident problem. The ones who will get hit hardest are Thai Hire companies who will face the biggest fines compared to the unlicensed foreigner. It is just making hire companies being more responsible when they hire. Much the same as Western country hire agents, so it is no use whining on this column about not being allowed to break the law. If it saves lives, it is a good thing.

It says with a certified copy of your License from your embassy you can get a Thai driving licence, so it is up to you to take responsibility for your own action. (I wonder if this also applies to car licences for getting a Thai driving licence without taking a Thai driving test).

9 minutes ago, essox essox said:

it is quite simple MOTOR BIKE RENTERS should not rent bikes out if the would be renter HAS NO LICENCE.....here ends the problem

You do know what the spanner in the works with that sensible business plan is dont you 

9 minutes ago, essox essox said:

it is quite simple MOTOR BIKE RENTERS should not rent bikes out if the would be renter HAS NO LICENCE.....here ends the problem

Most of the problems come from people presenting a car license and saying its a bike license. I have seen Australians present a truck license, MC endorsement, and tell the rental shop its a bike license

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Most of the problems come from people presenting a car license and saying its a bike license. I have seen Australians present a truck license, MC endorsement, and tell the rental shop its a bike license

I hope you immediately pointed out to the Australians that what they were doing was just not cricket

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Where and why?

I have rented bikes every place in this country.  From Phuket to Chiang Rai.  Not once have I ever been asked or presented a license.

PS: I have a valid Thai license.

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Where and why?

I have rented bikes every place in this country.  From Phuket to Chiang Rai.  Not once have I ever been asked or presented a license.

PS: I have a valid Thai license.

Most dont ask but I have rented from a couple of shops over the years that have asked to see a license, and taken a photocopy. In Phuket from memory. 

The places that rent bigger bikes usually want to see a license.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Most dont ask but I have rented from a couple of shops over the years that have asked to see a license, and taken a photocopy. In Phuket from memory. 

I have never seen or heard of a bike shop asking for a license, we will see if something will change, my guess is not.

46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

so the rental places SHOULD know what a driving licence looks like for a car and what a motorbike licence looks like.....SIMPLE

9 hours ago, oldlakey said:

I hope you immediately pointed out to the Australians that what they were doing was just not cricket

If I was a new tourist coming to Thailand I would never rent a bike or car after seeing how the idiots drive here. Then again some tourists are thrillseekers and that is one way of getting your kicks driving on a motorbike through Thai traffic

On 13/05/2018 at 2:31 AM, Wake Up said:

Personally living in a country and never driving is strange to me unless you have a disability or age problem or never leave your neighborhood or like bus travel instead of driving yourself. 

I could argue statistics with you but waste of time and typing. I have driven over 2,000 miles in Thailand over the last two years in cities and villages and on the highways. I also have driven in Beijing and Shanghai and Shenzhen China and all the major cities of USA. The Thais have a different way of driving and I accept that but it is mainly tourists on bikes that are the problem and also Thai and expats drunk driving. In fact I believe the Thais are more efficient drivers that other nations because their driving  rules are relaxed and more efficient getting from point A to B.  I can guarantee with some exceptions that the Thai bike riders are much better than most expats. Some expats are experts but IMO they are the exception not the rule.  Most Thai bike riders IMO are experts except when driving intoxicated. 

From your vast experience over the last 2 years and the huge 2,000 miles :passifier: (3,200km) you are talking absolute utter and total BS

In the country I lived in for many years I usually rode around 2,500km per month.

Having ridden from Bangkok to Chang Mai and to Singapore and back on a 110cc bike in a rather shorter time than that, also driven over 70,000 km in my current vehicle, and living in a small village I see more of the world than you do.

All the local accidents involving death on motorcycles were Thai, some involved Thai crashing into Thai killing both, few of the deaths involved drinking, probably over 99% of accidents did not involve a non ASIEAN driver.  

I can can assure you that while some Thai bike riders are expert many are not.

That said, Thailand is a dangerous place to ride a motorcycle and a really stupid idea to ride one here without a licence, this also means that any insurance is void even if your policy covers riding (which most specifically exclude). It is probably also a bad idea to ride one if you are not an experienced rider as well.

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

From your vast experience over the last 2 years and the huge 2,000 miles :passifier: (3,200km) you are talking absolute utter and total BS

In the country I lived in for many years I usually rode around 2,500km per month.

Having ridden from Bangkok to Chang Mai and to Singapore and back on a 110cc bike in a rather shorter time than that, also driven over 70,000 km in my current vehicle, and living in a small village I see more of the world than you do.

All the local accidents involving death on motorcycles were Thai, some involved Thai crashing into Thai killing both, few of the deaths involved drinking, probably over 99% of accidents did not involve a non ASIEAN driver.  

I can can assure you that while some Thai bike riders are expert many are not.

That said, Thailand is a dangerous place to ride a motorcycle and a really stupid idea to ride one here without a licence, this also means that any insurance is void even if your policy covers riding (which most specifically exclude). It is probably also a bad idea to ride one if you are not an experienced rider as well.

I drive a car not bike. But I drove BKK to Chang Rai to Chang Mai and back to BKK. Then BKK to Khon Kaen round trip 6 times. Then BKk to Loei, Petchabun and back. Then BKK to Buriram to Cambodia border and back. Then flew to Krabi and rented a car for a month and drove all over the south. Then drove BKK to Chantiburi to Koh Chang and then Koh Samet and back to BKK.  And driven to Pattaya round trip many many many times. Others places also including many Thai villages that I cannot pronounce their names throughout Issan. You can be a doubter as that tells me a lot about you but that is ok.  But IMO your post is 100 percent wrong information. I have seen accidents and spoken with many Thai people and driven with Thai friends. A lot of the collisions involve drinking, sleeping, drugs or expats. The Thai bike riders I see in the village are all kids that grow up driving  to the local village store around age 10 or younger many times a week for their family. You have your opinion and it is shared by many but that does not make it the truth. Get out and put some miles in and actually meet thai people and quit regurgitating the TFV myths. Those myths are mainly based on someone siting at a smartphone reading a statistic and pronouncing expert advice. Many are probably too afraid to drive or they have never met many Thai people so they justify their fear.  I am so so so thankful I do not listen to the TVF driving BS and actually got on the road and actually met some good Thai people and expats that enjoy driving.  No need to drive much in BKK or own a car and that is one reason Iike BKk. But for those that enjoy road trips do it and see for yourself this country we all chose to move to and open your eyes to the truth about Thailand which is not the negative BS posted daily by some TVF expats. 

On 5/12/2018 at 7:19 AM, wgdanson said:

Are you really as thick as you sound, or as thick as the Thai bike dealer you mention. Drive CAR = Car License, drive MOTORBIKE = Motorbike license. Foreigner = I D P for either.

stop being such an idiot and read the article. It only says license.  It does not specify one or the other.  Now run along and yell at your neighbor who I am sure just loves you

On 5/12/2018 at 2:46 AM, jackdd said:

If you look on the IDP there is a picture of a car and a picture of a motorbike (and trucks and bus and other stuff), everything you may not drive is covered with xxxxxxx. Even the most retarded person understands what it means.

yep.  but the point is the article just says the foreigner must have a license.  The article does not explicitly say what is required.  A fair assumption that a moto is required for a moto, but that would be an assumption. 

40 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

yep.  but the point is the article just says the foreigner must have a license.  The article does not explicitly say what is required.  A fair assumption that a moto is required for a moto, but that would be an assumption. 

No, that would be COMMON SENSE. Picture of moto on the license = you can drive moto, picture of car = you can drive car. As jackdd said, even the most retarded person understands what it means, and if you don't...........And as for saying stop being such an idiot to me, I know what license is needed to drive both a moto and a car. Anyone who doesn't, or just uses a fair assumption is the idiot.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, MunkyBoogar said:

But are they also going to fine Thai citizens 1000B for driving without a license? That would be a Negatory Ghostrider!

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, essox essox said:

you are asking a stupid question here.....

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, MunkyBoogar said:

Actually, that was a rhetorical questions because I already know the answer!!

Yes, most people know the answer, the same for Thais, Farangs and other aliens :

Driving without a DL give you a 400 baht fine.

cats.jpg.a56f9dff3a1e89844106ff57d2ed050

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No, that would be COMMON SENSE. Picture of moto on the license = you can drive moto, picture of car = you can drive car. As jackdd said, even the most retarded person understands what it means, and if you don't...........And as for saying stop being such an idiot to me, I know what license is needed to drive both a moto and a car. Anyone who doesn't, or just uses a fair assumption is the idiot.

Oh stop being so childish and move on with your silly life.   My original post was nothing about what was indicated on a license.  I simply said, and I will repeat one more time since you refuse to pay attention to it is that the article just said a foreigner must prevent a valid license.  The article did not explicitly say it must be a moto license.  You can continue to talk past that and mouth off about anything else you want.  None of which is relevant to what I first and have continuously said.  Now get back to your paper route and make sure you are home before the street lights are on so your mother will not spank your childish bottom

Archived