Air conditioning gaz leak, how to find ? aircon not so cool anymore, dirt ?

grkt

3 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Exactly. I am renting a house for just over 1 year and the bedroom AC gets a lot of use. Recently it did not seem to be cooling I had thermostat set at 18 and took ages to cool and definitely not 18 degrees. I cleaned the filters and used a spray can of cleaner to try and clean fins on indoor unit. No better. So I called agent who had husband and wife team to come check. They pulled covers off out door unit and used high pressure water blaster to clean fins. It is mounted just under the eaves (single story house) and the dirt that came out and ran down the wall was amazing. Did the same with indoor unit. Yes used high pressure blaster on indoor unit. When finished ran it and checked refrigerant pressures. All ok. Runs great now and it quite in running. 700baht.

Seriously, you get your bedroom temperature down to 18C if it's running well... with room temperature currently over 30C? IMO that would be impossible unless your bedroom was totally sealed, small and extremely well insulated with no cool air escaping under the doors or anywhere. Cool air sinks and quickly escapes under the doors. You don't really want your room totally sealed though, as you'll build up too much CO2 if there's no ventilation.

I've tested my bedroom unit to see how low I could go. I managed 21 point something Celcius, and that was a big effort with the compressor running full time. I set mine at 26 - 28C depending on what the room temperature and humidity are before I start it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave moir said:

Could be the filter is blocked! I had a similar problem and cleaned the filter works great now.

An enormous amount of dust still gets in, even if you regularly clean the filters. You can hear when the inside of the evaporator is clogged - it makes a gushing sound, like wind gusts. The air stream isn't steady.

2 hours ago, masuk said:

I don't believe this!!!    Installed by a rank amateur.

Here are some more examples of bad outdoor unit placement, resulting in overheating of the units. The first one is suffocating, the 2nd two are causing a hot air vortex against the wall (the hot air flow bounces against the wall and is sucked back in), which overheats the units. It causes about a 5C increase in air temperature blowing out and the units get very hot. Another unit not shown fared even worse as it was positioned really close to a side wall.

5af3dfbed20f1_BadAirconplacement.thumb.jpg.fb12f29bc18fad50b79c8604406ebe54.jpg5af3dfc2102e9_BadAirconplacementresize.thumb.jpg.cd66c8b388bad09a027f50e6bd39a184.jpg

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nss70 said:

Any half competent service geeza will check all of these, give the system a good clean and check the gas for pressure and leaks.

No, not in Thailand. You need to tell them exactly what to check. Generally, you'll be lucky to find a "half competent service geeza" in Thailand. I'm still looking for one LOL. This last year I've been working with what people in this area call a GOOD "service geeza". He does most of the work for a major real estate company. He's caused more problems than he has solved - it's a never-ending nightmare. The only saving grace is I'm not paying for all his "f***ups.

• Like 1

The guy we have been using to do our a/c units is an absolute twit, he relocated one unit for us, but then it had no gas in it, he refilled it, only to be called back a couple of days later, oh, no gas, must be a leak, found the leak, came back a coupe of days later and said all ok, after he left, I switched it on, ok, works, never used it again for a couple of months as we have 6 a/c's in total and that particular one doesn't get used in that room much as a fan is enough, suffice to say I decided to switch it on today, hot air, what the fark, so wife called him, coming this afternoon, not going to pay him one Satang and he will want to fix it right this time as he cost us 2,100 baht last time, if he try's to charge me, I will get someone else to service and look after our units.

9 out of 10 times from my experience, if its blowing hot air, means you gotta leak.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Seriously, you get your bedroom temperature down to 18C if it's running well... with room temperature currently over 30C? IMO that would be impossible unless your bedroom was totally sealed, small and extremely well insulated with no cool air escaping under the doors or anywhere. Cool air sinks and quickly escapes under the doors. You don't really want your room totally sealed though, as you'll build up too much CO2 if there's no ventilation.

I've tested my bedroom unit to see how low I could go. I managed 21 point something Celcius, and that was a big effort with the compressor running full time. I set mine at 26 - 28C depending on what the room temperature and humidity are before I start it.

No. I usually run it at 24 but as it was not working I had remote set to 18 in case there was a discrepancy in the remote/unit settings. Have seen that happen once before and remote needed a reset. Obviously not the problem and after clean remote is back at 24.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grkt said:

if it's a gaz leak, is there a DIY way to find it ? I don't want to just call a guy who doesn't know more than me and just tries to refill without checking anything.

It's a Daikin inverter.

I also have inverter aircons. If used a lot, the indoor unit can build up dirt and dust in the cooling element, reducing the efficiency. You can open the cover, remove the filter – and clean it, now when it's out – and fairly easily see if the cooling elements are clean. Pro cleaners would use a pressure water unit, but just spraying window cleaner, or soft kitchen cleaner (better), can sometime loose the dirt (I've been successful with that method). You'll need a (plastic) cover under the unit, as numerous dirty drops might fall down. Don't use any hard tools, as you risk damaging the cooling elements; however a soft brush will work well.

If it's lack of gas, a service engineer can quite easily check the pressure and refill; after a number of years an aircon might need some refilling, but that should normally not be necessary the first 5-10 years, if no leaks. A local aircon service engineer might have a fixed affordable price for both cleaning, and check and refilling gas.

:smile:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

No. I usually run it at 24 but as it was not working I had remote set to 18 in case there was a discrepancy in the remote/unit settings. Have seen that happen once before and remote needed a reset. Obviously not the problem and after clean remote is back at 24.

I use digital thermometers in all rooms to keep the remote controls honest. This allows you to know immediately if you have a malfunction with the A/C unit. There can be quite a discrepancy if the thermometers are positioned in a hot area or near the cool air flow. The thermostat is positioned near the hot air intake near the ceiling, so that is hotter than the air down low.

There's a thing called TX valve,it's a safety valve which can and will shutdown the unit to protect the system from extreme high pressure inside the system,extreme high temp usually are the triggers for these valves to close,gas leaking out is usually a gradual thing over time. 

14 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’m having the same problem.  Today, had the air conditioner cleaned (completely disassembled) and it’s not blowing cold.  The landlord *supposedly* had it cleaned in December but the guys who cleaned it today said that there was no way it was cleaned that recently.  I’m in a 35sqm condo and the electric bill came in this afternoon at just over ฿4000 (I pay government rates).  Not sure if I want to call the landlord again if it is only a couple thousand baht to fix/charge/whatever.

4000 baht ? I stayed in a 35sqm most of the day, with my laptop always running and using lots of elec, fan, aircon and my bill was about 600 baht ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

There's a thing called TX valve,it's a safety valve which can and will shutdown the unit to protect the system from extreme high pressure inside the system,extreme high temp usually are the triggers for these valves to close,gas leaking out is usually a gradual thing over time. 

TX valves are generally not used on domestic split ac systems.

46 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

4000 baht ? I stayed in a 35sqm most of the day, with my laptop always running and using lots of elec, fan, aircon and my bill was about 600 baht ! 

Yeah...I know.  Crazy!  Hopefully the bill will go down now that the aircon has been cleaned.  Think I might need some R22 though.

34A6F4C3-F53F-40B7-979D-A82CE04379D5.jpeg

21 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Incorrect, a TX valve is a Thermostatic Expansion Valve and is a device used to control the refrigerant flowing around the system, and as Dazinoz said they are not used in smaller domestic A/C systems. What you are referring to is a HP safety switch which measures the high side pressure and shuts down the system upon reaching a designated high pressure.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, tropo said:

Totally agree that this is the only right way to set an aircon but people are so crazy, and do not understand that the only thing that is needed is few degrees less than outside and dry air.

4 hours ago, grkt said:

Totally agree that this is the only right way to set an aircon but people are so crazy, and do not understand that the only thing that is needed is few degrees less than outside and dry air.

Oh, yours is the only right way and everyone one else crazy?

I use digital thermometers in all rooms to keep the remote controls honest. This allows you to know immediately if you have a malfunction with the A/C unit. There can be quite a discrepancy if the thermometers are positioned in a hot area or near the cool air flow. The thermostat is positioned near the hot air intake near the ceiling, so that is hotter than the air down low.

I think the thermostat in inside the evaporator.

51 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I think the thermostat in inside the evaporator.

It is on typical wall units, which means the thermostat is reading the hottest air in the room. With my units, which are commercial ones, the thermostat is about a meter from the evaporator, but on the same level and where hot air is being channeled back in toward it. The result is about the same.

Edited by tropo

10 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

we just had this issue. the technician used a bit of washing liquid on the connection. It showed a leak. He fixed it and its cold again

If you have a larger leak the soapy water method will help to confirm a leak, it is usually used around joints and fittings etc. But you have to confirm that your gas pressures are low first. You cannot assume you have a gas leak because the A/C doesn't seem to cool properly.

9 hours ago, stevkob said:

You cannot assume you have a gas leak because the A/C doesn't seem to cool properly.

You use the term "cool properly", which indicates it's still cooling, but not enough... in this case, gas pressure and leaks should be the very first thing to check ... 

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

You use the term "cool properly", which indicates it's still cooling, but not enough... in this case, gas pressure and leaks should be the very first thing to check ... 

And how do you propose that an owner do that??

Just now, stevkob said:

And how do you propose that an owner do that??

What does an owner have to do with this topic? 

It's actually the simplest of tasks. You get an aircon serviceman to check the pressure. If the pressure is good, there are no leaks and you search elsewhere for problems.

14 minutes ago, stevkob said:

Exactly

And this topic was initiated by an owner asking that question

I have no idea what you're talking about. What does "owner" have to do with this? You just check the gas pressure.

• 2 weeks later...