How to heal my gut after antibiotics?

Bonobojt

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jakestevernson said:

I think a good idea may be to get a vitamin and mineral deficiency test. I will probably do this myself in the next few months before I get out to Thailand.

JS

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think a good idea would be to return to a conventional diet, which might include all the common sense food so derided on these threads.

Right now, I'd say a Big Mac and fries would be a heck of a lot better than black eyed beans.

Yoghurt and kefir are good.

When I was in a similar position, I got my stomach back together with spuds, white bread, pasties, fish and chips, fried eggs, bacon, chocolate, cookies etc.  And of course some of the healthy stuff.

Tumeric and lots of water, we should all take, everyday, to take out the toxins that we have no control of, now a days.

For the gut, stay away from junk foods...excessive drinking and drinking..you need to balance your ensimes...more fibers (vegetables, nuts, fruits..less meats (meats do have alot of parisites in them).

Magneiseum? Balance it with calsium as a "buffer" for your stomach.

But , most importantly, Tumeric...we eat so many toxins in everything today. Foods are cheaply made and full of "TOXINS".

1 hour ago, welovethailand said:

Tumeric and lots of water, we should all take, everyday, to take out the toxins that we have no control of, now a days.

For the gut, stay away from junk foods...excessive drinking and drinking..you need to balance your ensimes...more fibers (vegetables, nuts, fruits..less meats (meats do have alot of parisites in them).

Magneiseum? Balance it with calsium as a "buffer" for your stomach.

But , most importantly, Tumeric...we eat so many toxins in everything today. Foods are cheaply made and full of "TOXINS".

There are several herbs that detox.

My favourite   (when I can get it) is :-

Coriander (Cilantro)

This strong-tasting herb is most often used to chelate heavy metals like mercury from the body. You can enjoy it in salads, soups, smoothies or fresh-pressed juices. You can also find this available in tincture form, but do consult with an herbalist before taking it, as it can be quite potent and strong. A heavy metal detox does require guidance and support. A nice bowl of Coriander soup is lovely, IMHO.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Bonobojt said:

I'm currently on some rough antibiotics for 7 days (flagyl) and I've been on antibiotics on other occasions a bunch of times within the last year or two 

I want to get serious about healing my gut and restoring the good bacteria and getting rid of the bad stuff (bad bacteria, mold, parasites). I seem to get sick quite easy in Thailand so it's a sign my immune system needs improvement, apparently 90% of your immune system is in your gut. 

Any advice/tips? Any herbs or foods I can eat? 

But for the best part of your life you have been ok?

Sure antibiotics can upset the gut but the body has great ways to heal itself, and pro and pre biotics supposedly do help...……...so take some of these and get back on the food that stood you in good stead for many years and which your body/gut is used to as 'mommysboy" has suggested!!

I'm with both sides,  eat healthy and eat the foods you grew up eating even if it's not too healthy 

For me, being from the UK,  its porridge, cereals like weetabix, bread, peanut butter, beans, fruit, vegetable, biscuits, crisps etc.. 

Not feeling too bad right now, hopefully getting closer to feeling normal again. 

1 hour ago, Bonobojt said:

I'm with both sides,  eat healthy and eat the foods you grew up eating even if it's not too healthy 

For me, being from the UK,  its porridge, cereals like weetabix, bread, peanut butter, beans, fruit, vegetable, biscuits, crisps etc.. 

Not feeling too bad right now, hopefully getting closer to feeling normal again. 

no meat or spuds?  Arguably what you really need to build strength.

Blueberries and blackberries are a great addition . The frozen ones imported from NZ.   I always add them to my porridge , together with natural yoghurt and cinnamon. 

Spinach

Brocoli

Mushrooms

Almonds

Macadamia nuts

Fish

Beef

Green beans and peas

Berries

Pineapple

Carrots

Eggs

Milk

Cottage Cheese

Spices

Protein powder

Flaxseed ground

That's basically what I eat. Not many other things.

Havent felt better in years.

15 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I think a good idea would be to return to a conventional diet, which might include all the common sense food so derided on these threads.

Right now, I'd say a Big Mac and fries would be a heck of a lot better than black eyed beans.

Yoghurt and kefir are good.

When I was in a similar position, I got my stomach back together with spuds, white bread, pasties, fish and chips, fried eggs, bacon, chocolate, cookies etc.  And of course some of the healthy stuff.

Nothing good about white bread, cookies and chips. That's junk food.

1 hour ago, jakestevernson said:

Justfine, your diet list seems very sensible to me. My diet is getting somewhere similar to yours in recent months. I have a 'relaxed' day of eating once a week, but as a result my training has massively improved.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, jakestevernson said:

Justfine, your diet list seems very sensible to me. My diet is getting somewhere similar to yours in recent months. I have a 'relaxed' day of eating once a week, but as a result my training has massively improved.

I agree, very sensible.

I don't do the protein powder and prefer to get the protein from veggies and the little meat and eggs I eat.

However, I have a lot more leafy greens, lettuce, toms, cucumber, beets, celery, peppers, fresh ginger, chili, turmeric (both fresh and powder).

Some days I eat raw, salads and other (most) days stir fried veggies.

The relaxed day of eating is also a great idea. I think it teaches our bodies that there is never a shortage of food ao it does not turn the metabolic rate down.

The biggest thing for me is avoiding wheat. It seems to bloat me and I get very fat from it.

I also crave other food too.

Cheese unfortunately is also not good for me and it is quite hard to give it up as I love it so much.

Giving up milk was easy as I don't have cereal fro brekkie.

We currently have Aussy friends staying with us for a month so sensible anything ia outa the window LOL

However, I have convinced my M8 to cut down on wheat and have bacon n eggs for brekkie.

His weight has gone down from about 99Kg to 87.5Kg in a week.

He now doesn't feel as hungry as before and is eating less, hence the lost weight.

Despite the excess alcohol and tapas we are consuming.....

OK, because the weather is cooler in Spain, it's true we spend several hours just walking every day, but it's a gentle exercise and doesn't burn many calories.

However, when we're walking, we're not eating or drinking LOL

We're all having a great time though.

8 hours ago, Justfine said:

Nothing good about white bread, cookies and chips. That's junk food.

Missing the point!  It's all about avoiding foods too high in fibre at this stage of recovery.

Also, after an illness many people go off their food. My reasoning is that any food is better than no food.  I have experienced this a few times.  We are human.

What is junk food?

Not sure where so many get their info, but, taking anti-biotics is like taking chemotheropy. It kills all the red and white blood cells in hopes of killing the original problem.  The problem though, it leaves you very suseptible to other problems. Example: You have 2 Armies, 1 of the Reds and the other, the Whites. You send in the big bomb antibiotics and you annialate both sides. Now, who is going to fight for you? Someone passes by with a innocent "cold"..because you have no military, that cold has an open door to walk right in and cause you great permanate damage. Solution? Maybe? Stop taking so much antibiotics and use healthy foods as your "medisines" and keep up with needed vitimins. The Drug companies love us to take alot of antibiotics, so that maybe we will get deathly ill and then they can make alot of money from us. Treat yourself, take care of yourself, and stay away from those antbiotics. The only time I have ever taken antibiotics was when I started getting a cold in my chest, and it got into my lungs. For anyone that knows this,  this will put you in the Hospital and can kill you. I have always taken care of this myself, if it ever happens, which was 2 times in the last 15 years. Other than that, no antibiotics, no Big Pharma meds, only minerals, vitimins, proper rest, foods, ect. 

To repleanish you guts needs, vegatables, fiber, some good meats (no Fast Foods), nuts, berries, if you can get them, and you will notice a "rebuild" within a few days.

Not sure where so many get their info, but, taking anti-biotics is like taking chemotheropy. It kills all the red and white blood cells in hopes of killing the original problem.  The problem though, it leaves you very suseptible to other problems. Example: You have 2 Armies, 1 of the Reds and the other, the Whites. You send in the big bomb antibiotics and you annialate both sides. Now, who is going to fight for you? Someone passes by with a innocent "cold"..because you have no military, that cold has an open door to walk right in and cause you great permanate damage. Solution? Maybe? Stop taking so much antibiotics and use healthy foods as your "medisines" and keep up with needed vitimins. The Drug companies love us to take alot of antibiotics, so that maybe we will get deathly ill and then they can make alot of money from us. Treat yourself, take care of yourself, and stay away from those antbiotics. The only time I have ever taken antibiotics was when I started getting a cold in my chest, and it got into my lungs. For anyone that knows this,  this will put you in the Hospital and can kill you. I have always taken care of this myself, if it ever happens, which was 2 times in the last 15 years. Other than that, no antibiotics, no Big Pharma meds, only minerals, vitimins, proper rest, foods, ect. 

To repleanish you guts needs, vegatables, fiber, some good meats (no Fast Foods), nuts, berries, if you can get them, and you will notice a "rebuild" within a few days.

14 minutes ago, welovethailand said:

Yeah I feel like I'm done with antibiotics, unless I have a serious infection I won't take them again. There are natural cures for many illnesses. 

Yeah I'm eating fiber rich foods like brown bread, fruit, beans, oatmeal, nuts and seeds, and taking in probiotics like Kefir and a supplement with yogurt. I know it takes time to heal, just have to be patient. 

48 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Missing the point!  It's all about avoiding foods too high in fibre at this stage of recovery.

Also, after an illness many people go off their food. My reasoning is that any food is better than no food.  I have experienced this a few times.  We are human.

What is junk food?

Junk food? Oh dear

37 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

Yeah I feel like I'm done with antibiotics, unless I have a serious infection I won't take them again

Well you can be "done with antibiotics", that is until you need them. This because they are a very important part of today's life and have saved countless millions of lives around the world – – the problem is that they are over used and overprescribed, not to mention the fact that in the USA, 80% of the antibiotic/anti-viral/antifungal medicines are fed to animals which later on and up on our tables.

They have been prescribed for viral infections, colds and flu, and other illnesses not caused by bacteria, when in fact they shouldn't have, and here they are dished out over-the-counter by pharmacists, like they are lollies, and many people don't bother to read instructions or even finish the full course.

Add to that that just about any visit to the doctor here will see you coming away with little bags of antibiotics, antifungals, anti-this and anti-that, when most of the time they're not necessary.

Take only when absolutely necessary and when you do, up the dose of probiotics.

20 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well you can be "done with antibiotics", that is until you need them. This because they are a very important part of today's life and have saved countless millions of lives around the world – – the problem is that they are over used and overprescribed, not to mention the fact that in the USA, 80% of the antibiotic/anti-viral/antifungal medicines are fed to animals which later on and up on our tables.

They have been prescribed for viral infections, colds and flu, and other illnesses not caused by bacteria, when in fact they shouldn't have, and here they are dished out over-the-counter by pharmacists, like they are lollies, and many people don't bother to read instructions or even finish the full course.

Add to that that just about any visit to the doctor here will see you coming away with little bags of antibiotics, antifungals, anti-this and anti-that, when most of the time they're not necessary.

Take only when absolutely necessary and when you do, up the dose of probiotics.

OK, yes, I agree with so much of what you have said. But, lets back up , like a 1,000 years (or more), when there were no "antibiotics. Man ate and drank water...today we eat "Poisons" (McDonalds, ect) and don't drink enough water. But today we have to fight the toxins in "everything" we eat. Right? Taking Tumeric to clean out the toxins and good vitimin C's or fruits, will boost the immune system. Together, you should have the advantage point...unless you destroy it with excessive daily amounts of cheap alcohal.  Strive for a healty balance.

14 minutes ago, welovethailand said:

OK, yes, I agree with so much of what you have said. But, lets back up , like a 1,000 years (or more), when there were no "antibiotics. Man ate and drank water...today we eat "Poisons" (McDonalds, ect) and don't drink enough water. But today we have to fight the toxins in "everything" we eat. Right? Taking Tumeric to clean out the toxins and good vitimin C's or fruits, will boost the immune system. Together, you should have the advantage point...unless you destroy it with excessive daily amounts of cheap alcohal.  Strive for a healty balance.

Agree with some points but 1000 years ago man died much younger than today!!

And agree that we eat far too much processed crap and many other foods are put on the market to make the companies a profit, irrespective of the damage they may cause us.

I have come to believe the old saying, "everything in moderation" holds true.

5 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

Yeah I feel like I'm done with antibiotics, unless I have a serious infection I won't take them again. There are natural cures for many illnesses. 

Yeah I'm eating fiber rich foods like brown bread, fruit, beans, oatmeal, nuts and seeds, and taking in probiotics like Kefir and a supplement with yogurt. I know it takes time to heal, just have to be patient. 

There are natural cures for many illnesses.  Not for the ones you had!

7 hours ago, welovethailand said:

Not sure where so many get their info, but, taking anti-biotics is like taking chemotheropy.  No, it isn't- a bit like, perhaps.  And this is a common point one can make with many arguments surrounding health food, drugs, etc: there is a kernel of truth that becomes grossly distorted.

I had quite a big event a few months ago, culminating in a ruptured appendix.  I had intravenous antibiotics and then Flagyl and another antibiotic for a week. Without them it is likely I would have died.

After release from hospital, I really didn't feel like eating healthy food.  The first thing I noticed was my digestion was much better- in fact over the course of a couple of weeks I had better gut health than I'd had for years, decades even.

Lately, I've been returning to better quality food, and of course we can all agree that there really is a need to have fruit and vegetables- preferably the ones that most likely to grow in your own neck of the woods.  Some fibre is essential, as are vitamins and minerals.  But my central argument is that it goes no further than that, and indeed even a half healthy diet seems to cover all angles.  

It's all to easy to demonise antibiotics, and it is true that some taken over a significant period of time can compromise the gut health of those people who are already ill.  Also, antibiotics only have a limited life span within the body, which is why we have to take more than one pill.  So, the notion that eating farm animals equates to taking antibiotics simply doesn't stand.

People born in the UK, for instance, are likely to have been raised on  the standard western diet we all recognise, and it has been that way for many generations now.  Further, that pattern of eating developed from countless generations before us.  The gut can not adapt to different diets quite so easily and the idea of training it in some way is a complete fallacy.

It does appear imo that we would all do a lot better being vegetarian in a few generations time, yet currently our digestion is set up the way it is.  Time and again, I have seen people change their diet in rather radical ways and come unstuck one way or another.  The mistake is to disregard the needs of our body, which does not operate by way a nutritional table chart.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of junk food.  It seems to me that to regard white bread as such is quite wrong; it's simply not. I suppose it depends on how far you want to go: I dare say that there are some out there that say the same thing about black tea, because it is not as good or unprocessed as green tea.  I'd say those that equate junk food with poison are wrong.  

Heavy processing is synonymous with junk food.  But food processing in some shape or another has been with us for centuries, though not on such a grand scale as in recent decades.  The making of 'health' extracts is a form of processing.  Fortunately, the human body seems unaffected: it is quite capable of excreting them as it does with most of the useless or toxic ingredients in our diet.

Eating is essential for life and we derive a great deal of pleasure from the activity.  Bringing dogma, and fundamentalist values to the dinner table is a grave error to my way of thinking; probably worse than being an absolute glutton who lives off the worst kinds of foods.  Both ways are a form of extremism; eating healthily as often vaunted by some of the more zealous on health forums is actually to promote an extreme diet which may be anything other than healthy.

7 hours ago, welovethailand said:

But, lets back up , like a 1,000 years (or more), when there were no "antibiotics. Man ate and drank water...

And they died 40 years younger than us.  Maybe they did not have access to all the fruits , fibre and all the good stuff we have access to in today's world.  

And antibiotics save lives , that's a fact .  It's an amazing invention , If you have a bad infection the antibiotics  will most likely kill it and your body will heal again .

But only for a few days , never take it like they do here in Thailand , where every doctor seem to think antibiotics is the only solution .  

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Lately, I've been returning to better quality food, and of course we can all agree that there really is a need to have fruit and vegetables- preferably the ones that most likely to grow in your own neck of the woods.  Some fibre is essential, as are vitamins and minerals.  But my central argument is that it goes no further than that, and indeed even a half healthy diet seems to cover all angles.

I agree, and one other thing , we do not need a lot of the food daily , our body was not intended for all this food that makes us gain weight.

I know I need around 2500 calories  daily and it's perfect for my height and weight   . But I also started with one fasting day per week , that means only 500 calories that day , based on Dr. Mosley's 6:1 program.  .  It works for me. I do not feel very hungry that day.  The rest of the 6 days I feel I can eat anything really as long as I do not overdo it.  Which basically means small portions that is easy to digest.   

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Not sure where so many get their info, but, taking anti-biotics is like taking chemotheropy.  No, it isn't- a bit like, perhaps.  And this is a common point one can make with many arguments surrounding health food, drugs, etc: there is a kernel of truth that becomes grossly distorted.

I had quite a big event a few months ago, culminating in a ruptured appendix.  I had intravenous antibiotics and then Flagyl and another antibiotic for a week. Without them it is likely I would have died.

After release from hospital, I really didn't feel like eating healthy food.  The first thing I noticed was my digestion was much better- in fact over the course of a couple of weeks I had better gut health than I'd had for years, decades even.

It's all to easy to demonise antibiotics, and it is true that some taken over a significant period of time can compromise the gut health of those people who are already ill.  Also, antibiotics only have a limited life span within the body, which is why we have to take more than one pill.  So, the notion that eating farm animals equates to taking antibiotics simply doesn't stand.

People born in the UK, for instance, are likely to have been raised on  the standard western diet we all recognise, and it has been that way for many generations now.  Further, that pattern of eating developed from countless generations before us.  The gut can not adapt to different diets quite so easily and the idea of training it in some way is a complete fallacy.

It does appear imo that we would all do a lot better being vegetarian in a few generations time, yet currently our digestion is set up the way it is.  Time and again, I have seen people change their diet in rather radical ways and come unstuck one way or another.  The mistake is to disregard the needs of our body, which does not operate by way a nutritional table chart.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of junk food.  It seems to me that to regard white bread as such is quite wrong; it's simply not. I suppose it depends on how far you want to go: I dare say that there are some out there that say the same thing about black tea, because it is not as good or unprocessed as green tea.  I'd say those that equate junk food with poison are wrong.  

Heavy processing is synonymous with junk food.  But food processing in some shape or another has been with us for centuries, though not on such a grand scale as in recent decades.  The making of 'health' extracts is a form of processing.  Fortunately, the human body seems unaffected: it is quite capable of excreting them as it does with most of the useless or toxic ingredients in our diet.

Eating is essential for life and we derive a great deal of pleasure from the activity.  Bringing dogma, and fundamentalist values to the dinner table is a grave error to my way of thinking; probably worse than being an absolute glutton who lives off the worst kinds of foods.  Both ways are a form of extremism; eating healthily as often vaunted by some of the more zealous on health forums is actually to promote an extreme diet which may be anything other than healthy.

White bread is junk food. Most breads are. You get more protein and fibre from ground flaxseed which costs like 5 bucks and lasts a month.

Changing one's diet should be done over a period of time.

With 50% of the people in developed world being unhealthy and overweight it's hard to argue that people shouldn't change their diet.

The big companies that make cereals and bread have spent a lot of money promoting crap food as heathly food when it's not.

People can get enough fibre and carbs from whole fruit/veges and things like flaxseed and chia seeds.

No need to ever eat bread or cereals.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/15-health-foods-that-are-really-junk-foods

9 hours ago, balo said:

I agree, and one other thing , we do not need a lot of the food daily , our body was not intended for all this food that makes us gain weight.

I know I need around 2500 calories  daily and it's perfect for my height and weight   . But I also started with one fasting day per week , that means only 500 calories that day , based on Dr. Mosley's 6:1 program.  .  It works for me. I do not feel very hungry that day.  The rest of the 6 days I feel I can eat anything really as long as I do not overdo it.  Which basically means small portions that is easy to digest.   

Over eating is the elephant in the room. In fact, there are two- the other being inactivity.

Archived