How to heal my gut after antibiotics?

Bonobojt

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

So what about giving a normal diet a try?  I don't think you are doing yourself any favours at all. 

What's normal? The average person eats loads of junk food.

Fibre and fermented foods are good for gut health.

• Like 1

"at the moment I'm thinking, Garlic, oatmeal, blueberries, Ginger tea, Bland white toast, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Banana's etc... maybe some hard boiled eggs and probiotics."

Some good foods there except for white bread. Eat wholegrain bread if you must eat bread.

Live and fermented SauerKraut is better than yoghurt for gut health.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

well you won't believe this guys, can't believe my luck really

basically recovered from the Giardia and Antibiotics, felt pretty much back to normal other than the occasional tummy growling or whatever you call it.

a few days ago I had some Dairy free coconut yogurt and my stomach felt unwell within minutes after eating it, and I found something inside the yogurt, hard to describe what it looks like, not sure how to post pics on my posts but I took a picture of it, it felt like coconut meat, is was a white ish colour but in the middle it looked rotten, greenish color, I have contacted the company and they gave me a £5 tesco voucher.

anyways, I didn't vomit or get diarrhea, just feel unwell, tummy feels a bit Nauseous, back to square one...

its only been a few days since it happened, still feeling off though, not sure how to handle this one in terms of diet etc.. tried some Activated Charcoal Capsules from Holland & Barrett but there crap compared to the ones in Thailand, didn't help. 

at the moment I'm thinking, Garlic, oatmeal, blueberries, Ginger tea, Bland white toast, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Banana's etc... maybe some hard boiled eggs and probiotics.

anyways talk about bad luck, but I don't think its serious as no vomit or Diarrhea.

Perhaps the problem is not in the stomach!

8 hours ago, Justfine said:

"at the moment I'm thinking, Garlic, oatmeal, blueberries, Ginger tea, Bland white toast, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Banana's etc... maybe some hard boiled eggs and probiotics."

Some good foods there except for white bread. Eat wholegrain bread if you must eat bread.

Live and fermented SauerKraut is better than yoghurt for gut health.

yeah I normally eat wholegrain bread but on the BRAT diet or bland food diet it has to be white bread or white rice because the whole point is to give the stomach a rest to recover by eating low fiber foods, only for 1 to 2 days, no harm done.

ok I asked the vegan yogurt company if they could tell me what I found in the yogurt I consumed, they basically said it was Mold, due to a tiny hole in the lid of the yogurt, which lets in air and makes the yogurt go moldy. 

not sure if I need to see a doctor about this, I've been feeling off for 4 days now. anyone know anything about recovering from eating moldy yogurt ?

39 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

ok I asked the vegan yogurt company if they could tell me what I found in the yogurt I consumed, they basically said it was Mold, due to a tiny hole in the lid of the yogurt, which lets in air and makes the yogurt go moldy. 

not sure if I need to see a doctor about this, I've been feeling off for 4 days now. anyone know anything about recovering from eating moldy yogurt ?

The mold in yogurt is not a serious health threat for most consumers.

"Most people will just excrete it; they won't notice anything," says David Heber, a professor in the UCLA Department of Medicine. "You might have some gastrointestinal upset like nausea and diarrhea, but it would be transient."

It's probably psychosomatic.

Edited by xylophone

screw it, I'm sick of feeling skinny because of this bland food diet crap, if I've consumed mold and some dodgy bacteria then a well balanced healthy diet will help my body heal and get rid of it.

drinks: lemon water, apple cider vinegar, ginger tea, peppermint tea, chamomile tea

food: oatmeal, blueberries, sweet potato, rice, herbs, banana's, wholemeal bread, garlic, turmeric, nuts, seeds, beans....

Manuka honey seems to be all the rage at the moment as a natural antibiotic , anti inflammatory. Might be worth giving it a go.

I eat a piece of fresh turmeric every day and seem to avoid the stomach upsets.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Manuka honey seems to be all the rage at the moment as a natural antibiotic , anti inflammatory. Might be worth giving it a go.

I eat a piece of fresh turmeric every day and seem to avoid the stomach upsets.

Manuka honey is bloody expensive though, not sure its worth it, as cheaper options like Garlic and Turmeric like you mentioned. 

9 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

Manuka honey is bloody expensive though, not sure its worth it, as cheaper options like Garlic and Turmeric like you mentioned. 

It was all the rage 15 years ago. Grossly overpriced. Honey is good for healing cuts and wounds. No need to eat it.

• Like 1

whats people's opinions on white rice and pasta ? is it healthy ? I mean the Italians are a decent healthy bunch, they eat a lot of pasta, and we all know there are tons of Asians that live a long healthy life and they eat white rice.

but us westerner's in the western world seem to say the white rice and pasta is not great as its simple carbs, no fiber, or whatever

I think carbs are important, I'm not a 'no carbs' kind of guy, are brains run on glucose which you get from carbs.

i mean is white rice the same as sugar ?

Edited by Bonobojt

21 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

whats people's opinions on white rice and pasta ? is it healthy ? I mean the Italians are a decent healthy bunch, they eat a lot of pasta, and we all know there are tons of Asians that live a long healthy life and they eat white rice.

but us westerner's in the western world seem to say the white rice and pasta is not great as its simple carbs, no fiber, or whatever

I think carbs are important, I'm not a 'no carbs' kind of guy, are brains run on glucose which you get from carbs.

Western Italians are usually just as fat or fatter than other westerners. Italians living in Italy walk a lot cause it's a cultural norm and the cities are more interesting.

If you walk 40km a week you can eat plenty of carbs and not get fat. Westerners drive everywhere and sit around watching tv.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, Justfine said:

Diarrhea no problem lol

Thanks Dr!

Most people will just excrete it; they won't notice anything," says David Heber, a professor in the UCLA Department of Medicine. "You might have some gastrointestinal upset like nausea and diarrhea, but it would be transient."

It is the body's way of clearing out the "irritants" and as he said, transient. A natural function.

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Most people will just excrete it; they won't notice anything," says David Heber, a professor in the UCLA Department of Medicine. "You might have some gastrointestinal upset like nausea and diarrhea, but it would be transient."

It is the body's way of clearing out the "irritants" and as he said, transient. A natural function.

Not good fun when you are out.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

Not the reason why Italians are healthy . Or they used to be , before all that junk food. 

Italians used to eat a  lot of veggies and fruits , you will never find only a pasta dish on the table , And all this olive oil too , not sure whats it like in modern Italy today , they are struggling with obesity like so many others. 

4 minutes ago, balo said:

Not the reason why Italians are healthy . Or they used to be , before all that junk food. 

Italians used to eat a  lot of veggies and fruits , you will never find only a pasta dish on the table , And all this olive oil too , not sure whats it like in modern Italy today , they are struggling with obesity like so many others. 

sure, its about what you eat with the white rice and pasta, if you eat just a bowl of pasta or rice, then yeah its unhealthy, but if you eat some white rice or pasta with some cooked vegetables, a sweet potato, little bit of meat or egg, then its healthy. The Italians who love in rural villages away from the tourist places still eat traditional food, pasta with fresh tomato sauces, vegetables, fruits, herbs etc..  extra virgin olive oil is ok as long as you don't cook it and its organic cold pressed, just pour a little bit over your already cooked meal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonobojt said:

if you accidentally ate moldy yogurt and you felt slight unwell and your stomach was feeling off/nausea, what would you eat and drink ?   just your normal diet or would you change things up a bit ?

Me? Then if I felt like that - nothing.

Nausea is the bodies way of getting rid of something nasty - quickly.

Even pure water could be enough to cause vomiting and I have experienced that so I would leave my stomach empty for as long as it takes to feel like eating again.

Retching on an almost empty stomach is no fun at all.

I assume that like me, under these circumstances, you wouldn't feel like eating?
If that is true, why force yourself to eat?

Most of us could go weeks without eating and not suffer any long term damage so a day or two wouldn't hurt at all.

When I felt better, I might have some tepid water with a spot of salt and sugar so that it is easily absorbed and helps to avoid dehydration.

If that stayed down, I'd wait till I felt hungry and then start with plain soup of whatever I fancied.

You know, the way Grandma used to treat us.....

3 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

if you accidentally ate moldy yogurt and you felt slight unwell and your stomach was feeling off/nausea, what would you eat and drink ?   just your normal diet or would you change things up a bit ?

Oh come on this has got to be a wind up...…………..

First of all we have the poster who has supposedly got Shigella and then Giardia and who knows what else!

The fact that he has taken Flagyl for a week seems to be upsetting him both physically and metaphorically speaking, however there are millions upon millions of people in the world who have no such problems from it and if they do a couple of weeks of something like probiotics and a normal diet will sort it out.

So far this poor little poster has been trying or recommended, coconut kefir, garlic supplements L glutamine, wild oregano oil, prunes, turmeric not to mention all sorts of other weird and wonderful things as well as huge variations on diet, but still comes back to post after his supposedly mouldy yoghurt, which really shouldn't cause any problems at all.

No, I'm afraid I'm out of this thread because as I said a while back, I don't think the problem is in the stomach.

So I will leave all of your other good guys to recommend all sorts of weird and wonderful things, but one thing he could try is plucking the hair from a fairy which is dancing at the bottom of his garden at midnight; boiling it and drinking the liquid may well do the trick.

Over and out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laislica said:

Me? Then if I felt like that - nothing.

Nausea is the bodies way of getting rid of something nasty - quickly.

Even pure water could be enough to cause vomiting and I have experienced that so I would leave my stomach empty for as long as it takes to feel like eating again.

Retching on an almost empty stomach is no fun at all.

I assume that like me, under these circumstances, you wouldn't feel like eating?
If that is true, why force yourself to eat?

Most of us could go weeks without eating and not suffer any long term damage so a day or two wouldn't hurt at all.

When I felt better, I might have some tepid water with a spot of salt and sugar so that it is easily absorbed and helps to avoid dehydration.

If that stayed down, I'd wait till I felt hungry and then start with plain soup of whatever I fancied.

You know, the way Grandma used to treat us.....

I didn't lose my appetite, I feel like eating still, maybe not fried foods though, but the basics, fruits, vegetables, beans, toast, rice, nuts, porridge, potatos, eggs, I feel like eating but my stomach feels a little off and nausea, and feel slight fatigue but nothing serious  

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Oh come on this has got to be a wind up...…………..

First of all we have the poster who has supposedly got Shigella and then Giardia and who knows what else!

The fact that he has taken Flagyl for a week seems to be upsetting him both physically and metaphorically speaking, however there are millions upon millions of people in the world who have no such problems from it and if they do a couple of weeks of something like probiotics and a normal diet will sort it out.

So far this poor little poster has been trying or recommended, coconut kefir, garlic supplements L glutamine, wild oregano oil, prunes, turmeric not to mention all sorts of other weird and wonderful things as well as huge variations on diet, but still comes back to post after his supposedly mouldy yoghurt, which really shouldn't cause any problems at all.

No, I'm afraid I'm out of this thread because as I said a while back, I don't think the problem is in the stomach.

So I will leave all of your other good guys to recommend all sorts of weird and wonderful things, but one thing he could try is plucking the hair from a fairy which is dancing at the bottom of his garden at midnight; boiling it and drinking the liquid may well do the trick.

Over and out.

wow, so I'm just lying about everything because....???? yeah doesn't make sense, this is an interesting thread that some people enjoy discussing about, is it impossible to eat moldy yogurt ? no its not of course, it happens, but you think I'm lying but you don[t have evidence that I'm lying, whatever I am happy for you to go and leave this thread, your not wanted, bye you old grumpy idiot 

19 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

I didn't lose my appetite, I feel like eating still, maybe not fried foods though, but the basics, fruits, vegetables, beans, toast, rice, nuts, porridge, potatos, eggs, I feel like eating but my stomach feels a little off and nausea, and feel slight fatigue but nothing serious  

Can eat, but not hungry.

Therefore do not eat until hungry.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:30 AM, Bonobojt said:

I want to get serious about healing my gut and restoring the good bacteria and getting rid of the bad stuff (bad bacteria, mold, parasites). I seem to get sick quite easy in Thailand so it's a sign my immune system needs improvement, apparently 90% of your immune system is in your gut. 

So back to your original question.

Is this link a god idea?

A few days of not eating apparently renews the immune system?

41 minutes ago, laislica said:

So back to your original question.

Is this link a god idea?

A few days of not eating apparently renews the immune system?

I think its a good idea, but I don't think I've got the self control to not eat for 3 days, I can't even do a 1 day fast, problem is I get bored and when I'm bored I just want to eat.

a guy on YouTube called Liferegenerator just done a 40 day fast, he is a raw vegan guy, he says fasting is good     

maybe I'll try, but I doubt I can do it, I need to be locked in a room so I can't get any food

you think you could do it ?