What VPN do you use?

glockdoc

Howdy!  I connect to the LA for all my computer stuff.  My OS is Linux and I have been using Vypr Vpn for a while.So far Vypr has given me the best speeds......but.....as of late, I have been having a dns leak problem. 

I have beenthrough numerousLinux forums and have determined the dns leak is being caused on the Vypr end.  I downloaded Air VPN today and the dns leak hasnot appeared, but it is slower. 

Which VPN do you use to connect in the US and what kind of speeds are you getting.  I only connect in LA so any other country is a mute point for this post. 

Thanks in advance, JC

Have accounts with 

1. Express 

2. Nord

3. Ip Vanish

4. Pure 

They all have their Pros and Cons. Hundreds of reviews on google.  Spend some time reading them, and see which one is right for you. 

Hope this is of some help to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Express is on all the lists of top Linux VPNs.  I haven't tried them yet.  Nord was disappointingly slow with their LA connection.  Done the google thing.

Hoping to get some #s from some folks connecting to the US to compare with what I am getting with Vypr and Air. 

Thanks for the input. 

JC

What do you mean by DNS leak? DNS queries are done locally and unencrypted at the end users location?

Real VPN does not allow any of that. Some http/https proxy servers do, but those are not VPN services. 

If you are Linux confident, you can setup your own OpenVPN server where you want. I did that myself earlier with CloudAtCost.com, but their services are unreliable. 

Perhaps setting up a linux server with Amazon EC2 or other VPS provider, near Thailand, would be a good solution for you. Near Thailand to reduce latency to the servers you most likely use. 

Linux  Mint18.X is known to have a dns leak which exposes your real IP.  I have taken all the steps to fix the Linux end of that.  VPNs obscure your IP by routing dns queries through their dns servers ( I believe  ), but VPNs can cause dns leaks as well, which seems to be the case with Vypr and my set up.  Also, Webrtc  is now using your GPU to find an actual  IP if you do not have that turned off.  

But, back to the question posed by the post.....which vpn do you use to connect to the US and what speeds do you get? 

As pointed out in the original post, US connections are all I am interested in. No interest in setting up my own VPN server. Latency is an unsolvable issue as I am only interested in an LA connection.

15 hours ago, glockdoc said:

Express is on all the lists of top Linux VPNs.  I haven't tried them yet.  Nord was disappointingly slow with their LA connection.  Done the google thing.

Hoping to get some #s from some folks connecting to the US to compare with what I am getting with Vypr and Air. 

Thanks for the input. 

JC

I have  used Express for 2 years V good and great support.

16 hours ago, burgerking said:

Have accounts with 

1. Express 

2. Nord

3. Ip Vanish

4. Pure 

They all have their Pros and Cons. Hundreds of reviews on google.  Spend some time reading them, and see which one is right for you. 

Hope this is of some help to you.

I was told in the past that having more than one Maleware account can be counter productive.     Is there any problem with having more than one VPN account?     

Cyberghost and it's completely free for users. You have to wait a minute or two for an allocated free user slot.

I also use the built-in one with my computer spyware and malware system, which is Kasperksy's.

Been using Express for about 2 mo.

Good app & support but speed hit quite hard when connecting to US.

my service is 3BB 30/10 DSL:

Dwn/Up          Ping

no VPN        32.5/11.7      10ms     

Smt Locn*   8.4/5.8          404

Denver         6.6/5.6           30

LA.                1.5/1.6           500    

*Express Smart Location (auto select)

6 minutes ago, IFinish said:

Been using Express for about 2 mo.

Good app & support but speed hit quite hard when connecting to US.

my service is 3BB 30/10 DSL:

Dwn/Up          Ping

no VPN        32.5/11.7      10ms     

Smt Locn*   8.4/5.8          404

Denver         6.6/5.6           30

LA.                1.5/1.6           500    

*Express Smart Location (auto select)

That Denver ping time of 30ms is physically impossible, it was probably 300ms? The light travels, in optimal circumstances 9000km in 30ms. 

28 minutes ago, oilinki said:

That Denver ping time of 30ms is physically impossible, it was probably 300ms? The light travels, in optimal circumstances 9000km in 30ms. 

Yea, youre right. Ran it again and got 473ms.

VPN speeds can depend on a couple of things.  if the service has been oversold with too many people tryin to download torrents movies etc or if the vpn has been setup with slow vpn software which puts a high workload on both ends encryting decrypting simultanously i.e openvpn software.

Since you know linux,  why not hire a vps and set one up yourself?  Its a fact now openvpn can be detected and leak dns info, also websites have cookies/java etc that can see where you are regardless of vpn.   Paypal is known to do this.

Linux has some alternative vpn software you could try. 

PIA...Private Internet Access. Many good ones, but PIA is probably the best value. Good/great speeds..."no logging" is their claim...many countries to choose from. Internet "kill switch" feature is nice. They have dropped a couple of countries in the 3 years I've used them, including Russia, because those countries were insisting on "logging". 

Read the reviews as there are many good ones, but highly satisfied with PIA and just re-upped for an additional 2 years. :thumbsup:

To those of you that took the time to read the post and actually reply to what the post was about....THANK YOU.  Lots of good info.  I will give a few of your suggestions a try.  So far Air has been flawless, other than slower speed than Vypr.   

Cheers! JC

I use Hide my Ass and connect to Singapores Virtual USA - gives you a US IP address, yes, you have to pay for it, but I have gotten good service for the past 4 years.......DNS Leak?? I don't think so.

I run Linux on all my machines. Opera browser has a built-in (free) VPN, choice of three regions, no DNS leakage (Check with ipleak.net), very fast. Chromium offers a VPN extension that stays resident even if you close the browser. Yandex has an extension, DOT VPN, that blocks your true IP .

VPNOneClick is free but unstable (in Ubuntu repos).

Or you can use TOR.

Or you can build your own (https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to-setup-a-vpn-for-free-or-paid-on-linux-62e1a93d04f3 ). I've done this for a few business friends. Easy, works well.

HTH

JG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Privacey??

And you believe them after 9/11. lol

There is no such thing as privacy after 9/11.

But sure as long as you don't your ISP watching your browsing.

Edited by Different
Added

20 hours ago, Different said:

I wonder why would some people have to use vpn in Thailand.

Because I want use an app for see german TV sometimes and this is only available with a swiss IP. Therefore I have an VPN Installed on my router, as soon an IP from there site the router will use VPN for everything else no VPN is used.

For Privacy hmmm I think some VPN even give you less privacy than without, because they are owned by a government. But this is only my thinking. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grkt said:

Why do you need vpn ?

To watch BBC and UK telly. I use Zenmate, 43 Euros a year, never any problem. Speed via UK is same whether on or off, ping is longer of course but what's a few milliseconds matter. Can use it on my two PCs, my Android, and my son in Dubai uses the same account.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1