Having a Car Accident in Thailand - My Experience

On 5/14/2018 at 4:22 PM, aussieinphuket said:

but i know a guy that was drunk (farang) and killed 2 people on motorbikes within 6 months and paid the family about 200/250k each and nothing went further and still living in thailand... 

That's really sad to hear , he should have been in prison . 

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

Do you were just making that up...

Thought so.

I didn't make anything up. I bet if you search in the law you find something about U-Turns.  Then there is written that you need to stop at the U-Turn and check that EVERYTHING is clear.

Then there was a Court Ruling that said 100 meters after the U-Turn having an accident is your fault as it is too near to the U-Turn.

Can't validate it but sounds about right. As in European countries there is a written law and then there are Court cases determining the "Law".   

I didn't make anything up. I bet if you search in the law you find something about U-Turns.  Then there is written that you need to stop at the U-Turn and check that EVERYTHING is clear.
Then there was a Court Ruling that said 100 meters after the U-Turn having an accident is your fault as it is too near to the U-Turn.

Can't validate it but sounds about right. As in European countries there is a written law and then there are Court cases determining the "Law".   

Seemed to me you were making up the 100-200 meter law as a fact. If you had not intended stating that as a fact, I apologize.

I don’t doubt there are laws in most every country against making U-turns in front of people.

What court ruling are you talking about?

I think that at 100km/hour it takes less than 4 seconds to travel 100 meters. I stand by my previous statement that anyone not able to judge the speed of oncoming traffic should probably not be driving, and certainly should not be making U-turns in traffic.

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Seemed to me you were making up the 100-200 meter law as a fact. If you had not intended stating that as a fact, I apologize.

I don’t doubt there are laws in most every country against making U-turns in front of people.

What court ruling are you talking about?

I think that at 100km/hour it takes less than 4 seconds to travel 100 meters. I stand by my previous statement that anyone not able to judge the speed of oncoming traffic should probably not be driving, and certainly should not be making U-turns in traffic.

Agreed, there is surely some law that states it much be safe to execute the U-Turn (paraphrase).

But, I've never heard of any law quoting a distance. It seems made up. 

Agreed, there is surely some law that states it much be safe to execute the U-Turn (paraphrase).

But, I've never heard of any law quoting a distance. It seems made up. 

Yeah, as is most always the case, there are too many variables to have a hard and fast rule.

What if you are making a U-turn, and someone making the same U-turn behind you read-ends you 25 meters from the intersection...

On 5/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, richard_smith237 said:

He's not quoting a fact, just stating his opinion...  It's not law that foreigners have 1st class insurance... But for many, myself included, it's considered essential and without it someone is opening themself up to the potential of having to pay for costly damages beyond what their compulsory insurance (Por-ror-bor) covers. 

"He's not quoting a fact, just stating his opinion"

That's a nice way to put it.   Others may justifiably suggest he's talking out of

his a.s.s

On 5/14/2018 at 4:22 PM, aussieinphuket said:

think some people here immediately get to scared about the whole situation ... stand your ground unless obviously you kill someone, but i know a guy that was drunk (farang) and killed 2 people on motorbikes within 6 months and paid the family about 200/250k each and nothing went further and still living in thailand... 

Does everybody know this guy?

6 hours ago, johng said:

Keep left ?
0- 100 in 4 seconds on your
Suzuki Hayabusa ?

Yes, left being the slow lane, which means people coming from behind can overtake in the right lane.

Edited by Myran

On 5/13/2018 at 4:10 PM, grkt said:

Or also like the local idiots you made a u-turn and crossed 3 lanes instead of staying ont the most right lane where you just u-turned ?

These people will never know anything but I expect foreigners to know more.

When I u-turn I keep left and reach 100 in 4 seconds to reduce the chances that one of those idiots hit me in the back.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:08 PM, Myran said:

Yes, left being the slow lane, which means people coming from behind can overtake in the right lane.

grkt says "local idiots" cross 3 lanes to get to the left, then he says he keeps left and gets up to 100 in 4 seconds  how does he get from the right to the left without crossing the 3 lanes like the "local idiots" ?

In a car on a busy 3 lane road its often impossible to  u-turn directly into the left hand lane..simply you would be waiting there all day. So if the "fast lane" is clear for a calculated enough time you can u-turn then keep hard right ( almost in the ditch) accelerating hard to get up to 80-100 KPH  fast vehicles

( normally mini vans) that catch up will pass on the left, you can slot into the left lane as an opportunity arises.

its easier to do on a motorbike stay hard right and merge left when an opportunity comes along.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

grkt says "local idiots" cross 3 lanes to get to the left, then he says he keeps left and gets up to 100 in 4 seconds  how does he get from the right to the left without crossing the 3 lanes like the "local idiots" ?

In a car on a busy 3 lane road its often impossible to  u-turn directly into the left hand lane..simply you would be waiting there all day. So if the "fast lane" is clear for a calculated enough time you can u-turn then keep hard right ( almost in the ditch) accelerating hard to get up to 80-100 KPH  fast vehicles

( normally mini vans) that catch up will pass on the left, you can slot into the left lane as an opportunity arises.

its easier to do on a motorbike stay hard right and merge left when an opportunity comes along.

Yes, only idiots cross 3 lanes at low speed.

The way to proceed is to go as fast as possible on the right lane where you are after u-turn, then change lane later when it is possible and safe. No Thai seems to know this, but reading this thread, it seems that many foreigners are not smarter than them.

I have always been thinking that people who have accidents or die on the road have been looking for it one way or another, and I think it's true.

I guess everyone agrees that U-Turns are not the safest way to change direction :)  there is a reason why they don't have it in other countries and go with traffic lights / and circles.

Thanks for all the input. Hope we got some good tips together for people having an accident if they find this topic in the future.

• Like 1

I guess everyone agrees that U-Turns are not the safest way to change direction :)  there is a reason why they don't have it in other countries and go with traffic lights / and circles.

Thanks for all the input. Hope we got some good tips together for people having an accident if they find this topic in the future.

What countries have no u-turns?

U turn with traffic lights not on 3 lane motorway/expressway with F1 drivers at top speed.

I have not seen u-turns in traffic on any of the Expressways or Motorways in Thailand.

I have seen u-turns in traffic on multi-lane divided highways in Thailand. Is this what you meant?

Yes to me a 3 lane road is a "motorway" they certainly drive at motorway speeds on them.

Well, we have u-turns on high-speed divided highways in the US and it seems to work okay.

People need to pay attention when they are driving, and not make u-turns in front of oncoming traffic.

Well, we have u-turns on high-speed divided highways in the US and it seems to work okay.

People need to pay attention when they are driving, and not make u-turns in front of oncoming traffic.
I think most of the u-turns in Thailand are very dangerous, badly signed badly lighted
bad road layout often with trees obstructing the view of oncoming traffic.

In the UK they have much fewer u-turns and all are (that I can remember) at traffic lights.
Roundabouts work very well there too...but not here.

I think most of the u-turns in Thailand are very dangerous, badly signed badly lighted
bad road layout often with trees obstructing the view of oncoming traffic.

In the UK they have much fewer u-turns and all are (that I can remember) at traffic lights.
Roundabouts work very well there too...but not here.

Thailand has more people and is over twice as big as the UK and it is a relatively poor county.

What do you pay for a liter of fuel in the UK?

12 hours ago, mogandave said:

Thailand has more people and is over twice as big as the UK and it is a relatively poor county.

What do you pay for a liter of fuel in the UK?

Yes the population is slightly larger and yes  the country is bigger...but its not a poor country..the problem is that a few people have all the wealth and won't share it.

A litre of fuel in the UK is far to expensive due to misguided government policy 80% of the cost is Tax !!

in another thread @Airbagwill  points out some major differences  in the 2 countries roads

Yes the population is slightly larger and yes  the country is bigger...but its not a poor country..the problem is that a few people have all the wealth and won't share it.

A litre of fuel in the UK is far to expensive due to misguided government policy 80% of the cost is Tax !!

in another thread [mention=275411]Airbagwill[/mention]  points out some major differences  in the 2 countries roads

Thailand is twice as big in area as the UK

The UK’s GDP is five times Thailand’s GDP

I think they do pretty good with the roads.