Are you one of Thailand’s ugly tourists?

webfact

Are you one of Thailand’s ugly tourists?

BY AGENCY

A motorcycle tour without a helmet. Hard-drinking and drug-taking at moonlit parties. Out in the heat despite heart problems. Smoking weed on the beach. Scrawling something on a picture of the king.

These are some of the dangerous “don’t do” things that can get tourists in a lot of trouble in Thailand.

And yet “some tourists seem to hand in their brains once they have arrived at the airport,” says Olivier Meyer. This Swiss native practices medicine in the Thai beach resort city of Pattaya and says he has seen a lot. Meyer has treated people for a wide range of illnesses – sunstroke, cardiac problems, diarrhoea, injuries from accidents and sexually-transmitted diseases.

Full story: https://www.star2.com/travel/asia-oceania/2018/05/14/ugly-tourists-thailand/

-- star2 2018-05-14

• Like 1

I really don't understand tourists who take drugs in a country that has very severe penalties if caught. If you are going to do drugs...don't do it in Thailand.

The embassies are NOT going to get you out of prison!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I really don't understand tourists who take drugs in a country that has very severe penalties if caught. If you are going to do drugs...don't do it in Thailand.

The embassies are NOT going to get you out of prison!

Tourists taking drugs ? Why don’t you expand and use the word foreigners ? 

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I have always thought of myself as ugly, but, walking down Sukhumvit, I am always called  "hansum". Who to believe? :w00t:

That reminds me of about 15 years ago, in a bar down Suk Road, when I heard one of the worst chat ups ever.

She: "My friend say you look like monkey, but I think you hansum man"

He: Just stares in disbelief as he is not sure it was a compliment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No helmet when the sun overheats...well...I would still wear a helmet but can understand,....

Drinking ? ..well ok...not good in the heat.... but well if it's 1 or 2 glasses of a good bourbon, with no ice and ice cold Coke.....maybe...whatever...

But having any kind of sexual intercourse with no gloves on ? ...with a virtuous Thai barstool or maybe massage parlour hottie, or even one chatted up at the mall or in a dance club ?!!...it is really suicidal and impossible to understand ?

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

In my younger days in Pattaya i have been treated for a variety of ailments associated with enjoying the pleasures ready available  in 'sin city ' . Local medics including Dr Oliver make a good living from our foolishness .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I have always thought of myself as ugly, but, walking down Sukhumvit, I am always called  "hansum". Who to believe? :w00t:

It is only the really ugly people that the bargirls etc call handsome, you know the fat, facial haired, tattooed type.

I have walked down Sukhumvit, Walking Street etc, many times and no one has ever shouted "hansum man" at me.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

It is only the really ugly people that the bargirls etc call handsome, you know the fat, facial haired, tattooed type.

I have walked down Sukhumvit, Walking Street etc, many times and no one has ever shouted "hansum man" at me.

Yeh but, you're a monk.....5170.gif.372b1ee177853772fe19495135fdbf15.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

More than likely the dumb tourist in Thailand were probably just as dumb back home

Yes, I think it is a pretty stupid to say it is a Thailand tourist thing.

Sounds like a typical day for people in the Los Angeles area.

Venice comes to mind.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

More than likely the dumb tourist in Thailand were probably just as dumb back home

The "dumb" bit is probably thinking things work the same way they do back home... sun not so intense, traffic not quite so dangerous (well, depending on where they're from), etc.