Extension for Retirement a NO GO

Extension for retirement No Go

Went to the IO out in the middle of nowhere this morning early. First one in line to get up to the front desk. I told the young IO officer I wished to do an extension based on retirement. Had all my paper work, dressed nice and copies of O V. He looked at my OV and said you have to apply for extension based on marriage. You cannot do retirement because your OV has you married to a Thai. He then showed me something in Thai on the lower left hand corner of my OV. The wife started to talk to him and he showed her the OV had me married to a Thai and could not do a retirement. I said no and stated yes I could. Just using logic I thought it does not matter if I am married to a Thai. After arguing with him for several minutes another IO female came over and looked, said have a seat. Thought I had won my case, wrong. Made it to the same IO male and he preceded to show my wife someone’s extension based on marriage and what she had to do. I stopped them and started again with my argument, asked to see a supervisor. The same young lady came over and said he was right I had to do a marriage extension.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? I was at the Bang Rat Patana IO office in Bangkok.

Well mate i cannot answer your question, but i am married to a Thai lady, was before i applied for retirement extension.

I think you ran up against a brick wall because the first io said no, his superior will not disagree with him, because he will lose face, that is something that cannot be allowed to happen.

• Like 2

They were incorrect unless you applied for your visa at immigration. If it was issued at an embassy or consulate they were wrong since all that is required is a non immigrant visa entry.

I am assuming that was at the Nonthaburi immigration office. The have a history of being difficult.

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They were incorrect unless you applied for your visa at immigration. If it was issued at an embassy or consulate they were wrong since all that is required is a non immigrant visa entry.

I am assuming that was at the Nonthaburi immigration office. The have a history of being difficult.

It is a Non O Visa 90 days from the Thai Embassy in NY. So my only options or a marriage. They even said make a border run and then do it. I pointed out how much easier it was to do a retirement no good.

11 minutes ago, allen303 said:

It is a Non O Visa 90 days from the Thai Embassy in NY. So my only options or a marriage. They even said make a border run and then do it. I pointed out how much easier it was to do a retirement no good.

I suggest you go back and try again. Perhaps you will get a different officer to start with.

I would not say your only option is to apply based upon marriage. But it might be the easiest route to get the extension.

If you did a border run to get a visa exempt entry you would then have to apply for non immigrant visa before applying for the extension. That means showing everything twice and 2 trips to the office to get the non immigrant visa issued.

One option would be to out for a new non-o visa at a embassy or consulate the does not write the reason it was issue on the visa sticker. Vientiane Laos would be a good choice.

Before you go to Bangkok, you might try the Immigration Call Centre; dial 1178. I have never used it myself. However it has been reported on this forum that they will possibly intercede if you are confronted with a halfwit on the other side of the counter.  If the Call Centre agrees with your position, go back to Nonthaburi Imm., dial them on your mobile phone, and hand the phone to the guy behind the counter.

It doesn’t matter whether you extend for the reason of retirement or marriage, you end up with the same 1 year permit to stay.

Although an extension based on marriage requires a bit more paperwork, IMO, it is the better option.

25 minutes ago, allane said:

Before you go to Bangkok, you might try the Immigration Call Centre; dial 1178. I have never used it myself. However it has been reported on this forum that they will possibly intercede if you are confronted with a halfwit on the other side of the counter.  If the Call Centre agrees with your position, go back to Nonthaburi Imm., dial them on your mobile phone, and hand the phone to the guy behind the counter.

Called the 1178 #, a waste of time. They can only answer simple questions and can’t talk to the IO office.

allen303, reading your op it sounds like you could have gotten a bit confrontational with the young IO which is not a good thing to do if you want an easy way through for your extension. Is there a particular reason that you could not have an extension based on marriage. It is not that hard to get, it is the same as the retirement but a little bit more paperwork and a visit by the investigative section of immigration and then a short wait for the stamp. You must use your head and think, he was guiding you through for an extension that is valid for 1 year after 11 months you could have applied for your retirement extension which will give you the same time as your marriage extension. If you upset them then they will remember you and they can make it hard for you next time you need an extension

OP, can we assume that you had the requisites such as 50y of age and money in the bank for 2 months, or equivalent? If so, then it seems quite possible that the issue escalated to a point where the IO would have had to lose face to grant you what you wanted, and that's not a possibility as you know.

I would recommend trying again, using the services of an agent and leaving your wife at home.

By reading his OP again it looks like when he applied for his non-imm "O" visa he has somewhere in his application for his visa that he has stated that he is married to a Thai National and it appears that at the Embassy where he applied for his visa they have put on the bottom of the visa that he is married to a Thai National and I would guess that because of this they are insisting that he get his extension on the basis of marriage. I have looked at my visa's from Vientianne and they do not list anything except that they are either tourist or non-imm "O"

As for not taking your wife or g/f that is a load of rubbish because everytime I have been I have always had someone with me.

The problem is the words on the bottom of his Non-Imm "O" Visa, that he is "married to a Thai National"

Edited by Russell17au

7 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

why mistake ??

She entered on her USPP, she had already talked to them before. Would not matter if she was there or not. It was what was on my OV that they saw.

10 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

By reading his OP again it looks like when he applied for his non-imm "O" visa he has somewhere in his application for his visa that he has stated that he is married to a Thai National and it appears that at the Embassy where he applied for his visa they have put on the bottom of the visa that he is married to a Thai National and I would guess that because of this they are insisting that he get his extension on the basis of marriage. I have looked at my visa's from Vientianne and they do not list anything except that they are either tourist or non-imm "O"

As for not taking your wife or g/f that is a load of rubbish because everytime I have been I have always had someone with me.

The problem is the words on the bottom of his Non-Imm "O" Visa, that he is "married to a Thai National"

You could be right, it might have been another option to not be confrontational. Once he made the decision he was not going to give me an EBOR. I should have bent over and gave the old team shout from collage (Thank you Sir May I have Another One). I elected to argue (confrontational) my point being that I was correct. After standing outside for two hours waiting for them to open. Then only three were at work, 20 minutes later three more eased in for work. Two sat down and started talking on their cell, one finished eating. So I guess another ten minutes goes by before they decide to help someone. I know, this has nothing to do with my situation. After p--- away half a day I decided to approach the subject and say no you are wrong. I pointed out to the IO I was well aware of what I needed for the EBOM, which I am. I even pointed out about them having to come to my house, the female said on no we will not do that, go figure.

So looking at my options, A. pay 15000 and have someone take the same paper work and do it. That would be interesting on ninety day report with same OV and EBOR stamp. B. Road trip to Laos.  C. Suck it up and do the EBOM and give them the pleasure of seeing me do it their way. After weighing all options I will probably bit the bullet and do the EBOM, even though it irritates me to no end.

You are right they probably will remember me, but seeing they went ahead and did my wife’s 1 year because she entered on her USPP. Maybe I will not have a problem. She will use her Thai PP next time!

FYI, I was not the only problem. A Chap from New Zealand and his Thai wife got turned away at the front desk also, they just left, nice fellow. While we were at the IO desk another Chap, I think English was having a go of it with the IO he was talking to, rather load! So must have been one of those morning.

1 minute ago, allen303 said:

You could be right, it might have been another option to not be confrontational. Once he made the decision he was not going to give me an EBOR. I should have bent over and gave the old team shout from collage (Thank you Sir May I have Another One). I elected to argue (confrontational) my point being that I was correct. After standing outside for two hours waiting for them to open. Then only three were at work, 20 minutes later three more eased in for work. Two sat down and started talking on their cell, one finished eating. So I guess another ten minutes goes by before they decide to help someone. I know, this has nothing to do with my situation. After p--- away half a day I decided to approach the subject and say no you are wrong. I pointed out to the IO I was well aware of what I needed for the EBOM, which I am. I even pointed out about them having to come to my house, the female said on no we will not do that, go figure.

So looking at my options, A. pay 15000 and have someone take the same paper work and do it. That would be interesting on ninety day report with same OV and EBOR stamp. B. Road trip to Laos.  C. Suck it up and do the EBOM and give them the pleasure of seeing me do it their way. After weighing all options I will probably bit the bullet and do the EBOM, even though it irritates me to no end.

You are right they probably will remember me, but seeing they went ahead and did my wife’s 1 year because she entered on her USPP. Maybe I will not have a problem. She will use her Thai PP next time!

FYI, I was not the only problem. A Chap from New Zealand and his Thai wife got turned away at the front desk also, they just left, nice fellow. While we were at the IO desk another Chap, I think English was having a go of it with the IO he was talking to, rather load! So must have been one of those morning.

Sorry this was for Russell17au

OK, I have just looked at my non-imm "O" visa application and at the bottom of the application it asks the type of visa and the reason for your visit, on my application I have asked for a Non-Imm "O" visa and my reason for the vist is I am married to a Thai National and my visa was approved and issued in Vientianne and the visa does not state "married to a Thai National". So it looks like where ever the op got his visa from has put the reason on the bottom of his visa.

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

OK, I have just looked at my non-imm "O" visa application and at the bottom of the application it asks the type of visa and the reason for your visit, on my application I have asked for a Non-Imm "O" visa and my reason for the vist is I am married to a Thai National and my visa was approved and issued in Vientianne and the visa does not state "married to a Thai National". So it looks like where ever the op got his visa from has put the reason on the bottom of his visa.

It came from Thai Embassy in Washington DC. Why they put the small remark at the bottom left I have no idea why. We mailed both USPP in same packet to Embassy. She did not send her Thai PP, I guess went off her name on her USPP?

Edited by allen303

4 minutes ago, allen303 said:

It came from Thai Embassy in Washington DC. Why they put the small remark at the bottom left I have no idea. We mailed both PP in same packet to Embassy. She did not send here Thai PP, I guess went off her name on her USPP?

The issued you non-o visa based upon marriage. I would guess you sent your marriage certificate as well.

You would not of gotten a non-o visa unless it was based upon marriage. You could only get a OA long stay visa for retirement there otherwise.

Some embassies and consulates do note the reason the visa based upon. At any other immigration office it would probably not of been problem for you to apply based upon retirement.

7 minutes ago, allen303 said:

It came from Thai Embassy in Washington DC. Why they put the small remark at the bottom left I have no idea why. We mailed both USPP in same packet to Embassy. She did not send her Thai PP, I guess went off her name on her USPP?

I would say that the small remark is what the problem is. My suggestion for what it is worth would be to get you EBOM and after 11 months apply to change to EBOR.

34 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

OP, can we assume that you had the requisites such as 50y of age and money in the bank for 2 months, or equivalent? If so, then it seems quite possible that the issue escalated to a point where the IO would have had to lose face to grant you what you wanted, and that's not a possibility as you know.

I would recommend trying again, using the services of an agent and leaving your wife at home.

Had everything, letter from Embassy and all, I did not make it that far, he stopped as soon as he looked at my OV

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I would say that the small remark is what the problem is. My suggestion for what it is worth would be to get you EBOM and after 11 months apply to change to EBOR.

That small remark is definitely the problem. They keep coming back to that and saying they could not do EBOR, had to be EBOM because of the writing on the OA stating I had a Thai wife.

allen303, what is more important to you? getting your EBOR or just getting a 1 year extension. I am 73 and I am on an EBOM and I find it better than the EBOR because I have been able to get a work permit and work with my wife and her family at a night market, I can cook cakes and make leather belts and other things and sell them at the market but if I had stayed on my EBOR then all I could do is sit at home and wait for them to come home because I would not even be allowed to stay at the stall and even collect the money. So sometimes things can be better with the EBOM

Edited by Russell17au

10 minutes ago, allen303 said:

Hope you can make this picture of OV out.

Just a standard non-o visa sticker with a note that it was issued based upon marriage.

As I wrote before that is the only basis you could of gotten one for at the NY consulate.

The problem you have is the office you have to use. They are known to be problematic.

Have you had the consular officer's signature on your income affidavit verified by the Department of Consular Affairs yet. That office is one of the very few that requires it to be done.

• Like 1