Editor Removed For Mismanagement - Not junta Pressure: Bangkok Post

snoop1130

12 hours ago, shady86 said:

No, that's the version that suits the Guardian's political agenda, as in most if not all of their stories.

They omit all references from colleagues about the toxic workplace environment he created, the amount of people who left because of him and his apparent indifferent arrogance towards fellow employees.

The "real" story is probably somewhere in between. Junta weren't happy with him, some board members weren't happy because they're friends of the Junta and he had created a toxic work environment causing considerable unlike by a lot of employees and therefore created the way for his own downfall.

Had lot's of employees supported him, would be different. But so far none have, current or former.

The Guardian, btw, is a bastion of truth any more than The Mail is. One is left, one is right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Artisi said:

"Pandey spoke of his pride at the “hard-hitting news” that he and his team had produced."

Wishy washy at best - as for "hard-hitting" he must be joking - unfortunately he's not.

Yep, 95% the usual pap and 5% decent editorials, for which he got canned.

Not exactly a great track record...

13 hours ago, yellowboat said:

In juntaland, is there a difference ?  Wouldn't failure to do as told be poor management and unethical behavior ?  At least, the new owners of a recently acquired newspaper in Cambodia were truthful enough saying why they fired their editor.  He spoke of connections the new owner had with the government.  SE Asia, for all its beauty, lacks freedom.

Seems like a fair point. He'd been at the BP for a couple of years. Now, if you are of a mind to criticise a military junta government, would you really apply for and accept a job at the Bangkok Post?  With it's reputation for polishing military boots? A bit hard to believe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elwood said:

The Bangkok Post has several excellent Opinion Page columnists, such as Sanitsuda, Voranai, Ploenpote, Kong, Dawson and others, who continually  write scathing articles about the junta.

Pity you missed them.

Didn't miss them at all. In general I find the 'excellent' columnists at BP (and more generally throughout the Thai press) the same way I regard most things Thai; medicore on a good day, but couldn't cut it outside of Thailand. The Thai problem, big goldfish, small bowl.

Anyway, the thread isn't about those others you evidently admire.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

13 hours ago, shady86 said:

On the contrary...anyone could see that the Khaosod story was much more detailed and representative of the two sides to this matter. While the "truth" may be as mentioned in the Guardian but Khaosod have presented an alternative hypothesis that could also hold water. 

1 minute ago, elwood said:

The Bangkok Post has several excellent Opinion Page columnists, such as Sanitsuda, Voranai, Ploenpote, Kong, Dawson and others, who continually  write scathing articles about the junta.

Pity you missed them.

Yes,that is true.

But there is no doubt that they,in their turn,will probably cause their colleagues to be upset..deeply upset.

And that would be no good ,eh?

• Like 1

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

Yes,that is true.

But there is no doubt that they,in their turn,will probably cause their colleagues to be upset..deeply upset.

Not sure it's true at all, I stopped reading the BP largely because of the boot-licking that Vorani and Sanitsuda were in the habit of delivering. I haven't seen either one give s genuine shellacking to the junta government without copious caveats and 'yes buts'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes,that is true.

I wish they would but self-interested leopards do not change their self-interested spots.

Just now, KiwiKiwi said:

I wish they would but self-interested leopards do not change their self-interested spots.

Kiwi-You did not understand the spirit of my post.I was being sarcastic ie.."deeply upset" equals "de-railing the gravy train"

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

https://prachatai.com/english/node/7747

BP has been heroic in it's reporting especially this last two years. Holding the unelected Junta to account, chasing down Prawit's watch scandal and highlighting the Cat Killer. 

Brave, honest and truthful man now thrown under the bus by Junta shame on you BP for being weak, slimy and grovelling.  

Language is almost endlessly malleable. It is a useful technique possessed by the BP, to pen articles which appear to lambast the junta, while a closer examination of the words used often reveals an underlying sympathy, usually transparently catalysed by the same military they appear to be criticising.

It just isn't that hard to generate an opinion piece or editorials which contains embedded suggestions and other verbal devices which are readily accepted by the unconscious mind of the reader, but which are diametrically opposed to the apparent thrust of the piece. Sansern is a bit clumsy on this score, as one would expect, but I expect they have a skilled foreigner on the job (probably an Aussie or USA). Deeply tricky.

It should always be remembered that the BP is considered to be long-term yellow. They're not about to upset their fellow amartya by penning articles and editorials which are genuinely critical of the amartya-inspired junta. Just isn't going to happen and (imho) to think otherwise is just naive.

"Brave, honest and truthful man" He's a Thai isn't he? 'nuff said. See if he continues his alleged junta-criticism when he pitches up somewhere else. I'll wager he doesn't.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Kiwi-You did not understand the spirit of my post.I was being sarcastic ie.."deeply upset" equals "de-railing the gravy train"

Apologies for the lack of acuity. Too much morning coffee perhaps...

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Surely it's the paper that is gutless for removing the editor, not the junta,

Under normal circumstances maybe, but the story says..... "the removal followed his refusal to fold to censorship". 

The origin of the problem lies with the junta and it's censorship. I expect the paper has little choice if the junta "recommends" his removal. Difficult for them to resist when push comes to shove with the might of the military junta. The junta makes the rules and no one shall disobey, including the newspapers.

• Like 1

Another reason not to read BP or the Nation. The BP seems to have become little more than advertising for its proprietor's expensive watch outlets. As for The Nation, they have obviously struggled for decades with the level of support they need to lend each government in order to survive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mexlark said:

Another reason not to read BP or the Nation. The BP seems to have become little more than advertising for its proprietor's expensive watch outlets. As for The Nation, they have obviously struggled for decades with the level of support they need to lend each government in order to survive.

Yes, but the irony is that we are chiefly reading (and commenting upon) 'The Nation' articles here, on a website basically owned by or in collaboration with (as I understand it) 'The Nation'!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Under normal circumstances maybe, but the story says..... "the removal followed his refusal to fold to censorship". 

The origin of the problem lies with the junta and it's censorship. I expect the paper has little choice if the junta "recommends" his removal. Difficult for them to resist when push comes to shove with the might of the military junta. The junta makes the rules and no one shall disobey, including the newspapers.

So what would the junta do? Close the paper, drawing worldwide condemnation and perhaps attracting trade sanctions? Make mass arrests of the management, drawing worldwide condemnation and perhaps attracting trade sanctions? There is nothing the junta can realistically do except stamp their feet.

Not that the world gives a rat's fart about Thailand, an international  financial, cultural and social backwater.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, but the irony is that we are chiefly reading (and commenting upon) 'The Nation' articles here, on a website basically owned by or in collaboration with (as I understand it) 

I had noticed. Whatever!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, but the irony is that we are chiefly reading (and commenting upon) 'The Nation' articles here, on a website basically owned by or in collaboration with (as I understand it) 'The Nation'!

For now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

Is the other English language paper critical of the Junta ?

I use to enjoy reading Bangkok Pundit till it was closed down after pressure from the military. There are some political news websites that are out of reach of those evil junta claws. Those are good sources of the real political news. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So what would the junta do? Close the paper, drawing worldwide condemnation and perhaps attracting trade sanctions? Make mass arrests of the management, drawing worldwide condemnation and perhaps attracting trade sanctions? There is nothing the junta can realistically do except stamp their feet.

Not that the world gives a rat's fart about Thailand, an international  financial, cultural and social backwater.

What could the junta do you ask? They could unofficially and off-the-record "recommend" his removal from office (or else) as I originally indicated; then they could stamp their feet just for show.

• Like 1