keeping track of foreigners NEW.

18 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes we are trackable by cell triangulation but I also always have my GPs off

You do know that a mobile phone that is on without having a SIM-card mounted, has been able to track by IMEI-number for about 10-15 years, right? Great solution to turn your GPS off anyway. If they whant to track you they only need your name or phone number to turn the GPS on again remotely.

21 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is good I am not like my old days cowboy personality as I would hate to see how that looks on paper. He went here at ..., he went here at ...., then he went to a quickie hotel at ....., then 3 hours later back to a girlie bar at ..... finally he is back at his hotel at.... 24 hours after he went out. 

Do you really think that they search for the information you have contributed with? Seriously? They can´t care less about that unless you rape or kill somebody at the same time, and in that case it would be really good for them to can find you.

• Like 1

Tracking of suspected criminals or people /groups suspected for planning criminal acts is probably on-going in most countries but from that to read news/statements daily about how we shall track any foreigner in Thailand is a bit over the top and can make both foreign visitors and foreign residents feel unwelcome because what the government put into "tracking"  is not necessary the way " the man in the street" understand it when he have been manipu....ed to believe  that all foreigners must be put in one basket.

Do you really think that they search for the information you have contributed with? Seriously? They can´t care less about that unless you rape or kill somebody at the same time, and in that case it would be really good for them to can find you.

I'm not sure they can track without SIM

"The handset will scan the GSM bands to find the BCCHs (broadcast control channels) of the available base stations. On these channels, the base station transmits all necessary data required by the handset to contact the network, in particular the RACH (random access channel) used by the handset to initially contact the base station. If the handset is not interested in registering itself with the network (for which a SIM is required), it remains passive. If you try to make an emergency call, the handset will request this on the most suitable RACH. "

So it seems to me the phone passively receives cell tower info..if there is no SIM it doesn't transmit info to the tower...and cant be tracked but if an emergency number is dialed the phone will send its IMEI number to the cell tower so could then be tracked ?

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

You do know that a mobile phone that is on without having a SIM-card mounted, has been able to track by IMEI-number for about 10-15 years, right? Great solution to turn your GPS off anyway. If they whant to track you they only need your name or phone number to turn the GPS on again remotely.

Look at it this way. If a cop get's a stick up his a*** and decides to profile you as he doesn't like how you look, he has you in a nut shell and can go to every place you go to making your life uncomfortable. They might even find something that is not Thainess and kick you out. You must not get out much. Even many of these posts OP's write are against protocol and could be construed illegal by the compute crimes act. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Tracking of suspected criminals or people /groups suspected for planning criminal acts is probably on-going in most countries but from that to read news/statements daily about how we shall track any foreigner in Thailand is a bit over the top and can make both foreign visitors and foreign residents feel unwelcome because what the government put into "tracking"  is not necessary the way " the man in the street" understand it when he have been manipu....ed to believe  that all foreigners must be put in one basket.

If it were that easy, whenever there was a crime, they would just pull all the phone SIM data within 100m, and pull everyone in.

Then they could save time, money and investigation hours, and cuts loads of police jobs.

They don't, therefore they can't.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Look at it this way. If a cop get's a stick up his a*** and decides to profile you as he doesn't like how you look, he has you in a nut shell and can go to every place you go to making your life uncomfortable. They might even find something that is not Thainess and kick you out. You must not get out much. Even many of these posts OP's write are against protocol and could be construed illegal by the compute crimes act. 

Live in your wierd little bubble world :crazy:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If it were that easy, whenever there was a crime, they would just pull all the phone SIM data within 100m, and pull everyone in.

Then they could save time, money and investigation hours, and cuts loads of police jobs.

They don't, therefore they can't.

The police in Germany is using this approach sometimes. 

It will have zero impact on the terrorist threat. There is plenty of willing manpower in the south that can be managed and controlled via the web. Back in Europe most attacks have been carried out by people indoctrinated on Internet and/or some mosques. 

19 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I'm from Sweden.
At least I'm lucky when it comes to applying and getting a new passport as it usually just take 7 working days (or less) from when I apply until I can pick it up at the embassy. That is to compare to some countries that take up to 3 months!

I don’t think that’s particularly spectacular, my Thai wife renewed her Thai passport in Chiang Mai recently came back by EMS within a week.

I renewed my Australian passport when visiting Sydney three years ago was returned by mail in five days.

I think with technology they issue them quicker than in the past.

On 18/05/2018 at 1:12 AM, gk10002000 said:

It really is kind of silly because any "threats" to Thailand are much more likely to be from internal Thais, not foreigners coming in to steal military or state secrets.  Now nothing wrong with having some immigration policies and checks on foreigners.  All countries should be able to do that.  But they are seemingly spending lots of time and money chasing small issues.

Is that on the basis we whities are by and large good guys and should be exempt all that horrid inconvenience of filling in bits of paper?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 10:10 AM, 007 RED said:

:shock1: Tourists being required to obtain trackable SIM cards?

All SIM cards are trackable (if in use).  We are already required to register them with our passports. 

Granted, whatever govt-agency would need to put a tap into the various mobile-phone networks to have instant-access, but very do-able - may already be done and classified.

On 5/18/2018 at 2:10 PM, holy cow cm said:

I don't need to carry a phone most times or can just turn it off and on at my own will.

Unless you put that phone in a foil-lined bag, turning it "off" wont' do the trick.  Some mobsters in the USA learned this the hard way, when the FBI recorded them from their "turned-off" mobile phones.  You can bet the manufacturers have added better "tools" in the years since that time.

It saves a lot of trouble convincing people to voluntarily carry "bug-trackers" around in their pocket, and use their spare-time to maintain Stazi-files on all their interests and activities in social-media accounts. 

Edited by JackThompson

On 5/18/2018 at 2:10 PM, holy cow cm said:

I don't need to carry a phone most times or can just turn it off and on at my own will.

Unless you put that phone in a foil-lined bag, turning it "off" wont' do the trick.  Some mobsters in the USA learned this the hard way, when the FBI recorded them from their "turned-off" mobile phones.  You can bet the manufacturers have added better "tools" in the years since that time.

It saves a lot of trouble convincing people to voluntarily carry "bug-trackers" around in their pocket, and keep use their spare-time to maintain Stazi-files on all their interests and activities in social-media accounts.