Phuket teacher turned away in Penang applying for visa

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

More likely they are arguing because they all got taught something different to the 'English' that they are hearing you produce, I should leave it to the teachers, your English is atrocious.

I don't say anything to them they fight about what their teachers are teaching them.

And thank you Mr Perfect English

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The requirements to be a TEFL teacher are the same in Thailand as they are in most western countries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

True, the difference is most western countries and Asian countries require much more and some  will not consider a TESL or other language certificate valid unless the institution that issues it is credible.  So sad, such a beautiful country that seems to be falling apart at the seams.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Enough of the back and forth off topic bickering about grammar, spelling and etc. Time to end it. 

And now a new one has been removed. 

Edit: And now one quoting a earlier off topic post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How does one actually get a police clearance check or police background check in Thailand? 

Is there a sample application form,

or

a sample of what the final cert looks like when it is issued?  

Edited by 4evermaat

15 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

How does one actually get a police clearance check or police background check in Thailand? 

Is there a sample application form,

or

a sample of what the final cert looks like when it is issued?  

It has to be applied for at the police clearance service center in Bangkok which is part of the Special Branch Police. See: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

1 minute ago, captspectre said:

In the U.S. when applying for a one year B commonly referred to as a retirement visa

Wrong!  Only an O or O-A visa is commonly referred to as a "retirement" visa! 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
It has to be applied for at the police clearance service center in Bangkok which is part of the Special Branch Police. See: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

:coffee1:

Is there a cost for this?

Where are they located?

Screenshot_20180518-202500.thumb.jpg.d320f07847cecf4cb14126a296f5fe01.jpg

:coffee1:

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by 4evermaat

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Enough of the back and forth off topic bickering about grammar, spelling and etc. Time to end it. 

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

And now a new one has been removed. 

Edit: And now one quoting a earlier off topic post.

And now more have been removed.

I am currently waiting for my NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) clearance here in the Philippines which allows me to apply for an ACR-I Card (Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card). This is required for, All foreign nationals under immigrant and non-immigrant visas including holders of Temporary Visitor’s Visa, who have stayed for more than fifty nine (59) days in the Philippines. Maybe this helps keep undesirables from overstaying in their country? In my 30+ years in Thailand I was never asked for such clearance and I got visas in Penang too.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:52 AM, bristolgeoff said:

they seem to make new requirements without notice to get a visa.this leaves everyone guessing  what can you do except check before  leave

Exactly... changes are made usually for good reason.. always check prior to vgoing to make sure you have all the documents as you do in most countries when dealing with immigration/documents/visas

turning up acting ignorant doesn't get you a new visa!

20 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The majority of foreign teachers are here to teach English and the biggest failure is in the standards of teaching English because there are no standards. An American teacher will teach the American grammer and the American spelling which is incorrect while the Australian teacher will do the same and so will the UK teacher. Australian teachers use the same spelling as the UK which is the true English spelling. There needs to be one set of standards to teach English by and that should be by the original English language and spelling as is used in the UK. Even on a computer the English language that is used is the American English language with the American spelling which is not the true English language, it is a modified language and spelling and unless the true English language and spelling is set as the standard it causes confusion amongst the children because one child goes to a different school to there friend and is taught by a different teacher who teaches a different English. This is not good education.

Note: be sure to read the PS

Maybe this breaks your dream now about English language but the fact is (doesnt matter who you ask in various countries) that this "real" English you talk about is the one that noone understands outside of UK. Opposite to American "English". Ive been in soooo many situations everywhere, in Thailand, in my home-country Germany and whatever place there may be where UK people roam, if someone starts his Oxford dialect or even better Scottish or Irish, wich sounds identically to the Hardcore UK for us outsiders, the opposed conversation-partner starts to stare in awe because he really didnt understand a single word, even he thought he can speak English until this moment. Happens to myself too always, i simply cannot understand it even i understand every foreigner/non-UK person who speaks English fluid in the way most Americans do, or the rest of the world. Many countries ppl have a lot of problems to understand that "real" English you talk about. So im not sure how much it helps if you teach a language that only UK people understand. Maybe not so bad to teach it in a way that the whole world really understands?

PS: what i said here is in no way against UK people or other mentioned persons/dialects. These dialects are in every country where other groups have problems with it. In Germany that may be dialects like "Sächsisch" etcetc, Germany know what i mean. So please please, noone take this serious and personal. Sadly "real" English sounds for a typical German like the German "Sächsisch" for a non-dialect speaking German, im very sorry to say that.

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

It seems the person rejected had a police clearance from his home country but has been here in the country for some time. That would be why they would want a Thai police clearance.

Also I wonder how old the police clearance from his home country was.

Not that the land of OZ is relivent Ubonjoe, but anything thing more than 6 mths, U are required to get another one.

36 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Not that the land of OZ is relivent Ubonjoe, but anything thing more than 6 mths, U are required to get another one.

Some Thai embassy websites state it can be no older than 3 months.

5 hours ago, Saenchai said:

Note: be sure to read the PS

Maybe this breaks your dream now about English language but the fact is (doesnt matter who you ask in various countries) that this "real" English you talk about is the one that noone understands outside of UK. Opposite to American "English". Ive been in soooo many situations everywhere, in Thailand, in my home-country Germany and whatever place there may be where UK people roam, if someone starts his Oxford dialect or even better Scottish or Irish, wich sounds identically to the Hardcore UK for us outsiders, the opposed conversation-partner starts to stare in awe because he really didnt understand a single word, even he thought he can speak English until this moment. Happens to myself too always, i simply cannot understand it even i understand every foreigner/non-UK person who speaks English fluid in the way most Americans do, or the rest of the world. Many countries ppl have a lot of problems to understand that "real" English you talk about. So im not sure how much it helps if you teach a language that only UK people understand. Maybe not so bad to teach it in a way that the whole world really understands?

PS: what i said here is in no way against UK people or other mentioned persons/dialects. These dialects are in every country where other groups have problems with it. In Germany that may be dialects like "Sächsisch" etcetc, Germany know what i mean. So please please, noone take this serious and personal. Sadly "real" English sounds for a typical German like the German "Sächsisch" for a non-dialect speaking German, im very sorry to say that.

Intelligent people are in command of a variety of registers, they can choose to speak in their local dialect or they can speak in a form of English that is widely understood, it is only stupid people who are not able to make themselves understood, and those who don't want to be.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 12:23 AM, gk10002000 said:

the And seems troubling.  If they really meant both.  Could mean lots more pre planning from the home country before one heads to Thailand.  I had gotten one from my local cops before I left.  But if one were heading to Thailand on other visas, and then later going the teaching route, getting visa ad work permit, not having a report from the home country could be a problem

usualy these criminal checks need to be current ( max 3 month old ) so if he already teach a year in asia i think these could be obtained through the embassy...what i dont understand if the person is employed by a language school in phuket why he needs to go to penang to make the visa/extension by himself...???? is not the school responsible to arrange all this and keep it updatet...???

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Does this also apply to female applicants?

For those not aware,  Thailand doesn't seem keen on using Caucasian teachers and hence the stuff about with visas WP, and teacher licence.

I strongly recommend looking at South Korea for work. 

Dave's esl Cafe website is where all the jobs are.  But if you must be in Thailand for whatever reason,  you just have to battle through the non sense. You'll eventually get it sorted.

What would you do if you're teaching in another SE Asian country? If you're say, a Canadian citizen and you're working in Vietnam, Taiwan etc, can you just come into Thailand with a Viet, Taiwanese check and then add a Thai check onto it?

10 hours ago, stud858 said:

For those not aware,  Thailand doesn't seem keen on using Caucasian teachers and hence the stuff about with visas WP, and teacher licence.

I strongly recommend looking at South Korea for work. 

Dave's esl Cafe website is where all the jobs are.  But if you must be in Thailand for whatever reason,  you just have to battle through the non sense. You'll eventually get it sorted.

Thailand doesn't seem to be keen on using Caucasian teachers? Is that the reason why so many schools in Thailand, but also agencies are urgently seeking teachers?

Thailand ( The TCT) was more than relaxed regarding the provisional TL, then they started over again at zero, plenty of time for teachers to go for an upgrade.

The grass isn't always greener in other countries and laws and regulations change worldwide. Those who started teaching here 16 years ago and now ran out of waivers had the chance to do something. 

35 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Thailand doesn't seem to be keen on using Caucasian teachers? Is that the reason why so many schools in Thailand, but also agencies are urgently seeking teachers?

Thailand ( The TCT) was more than relaxed regarding the provisional TL, then they started over again at zero, plenty of time for teachers to go for an upgrade.

The grass isn't always greener in other countries and laws and regulations change worldwide. Those who started teaching here 16 years ago and now ran out of waivers had the chance to do something. 

To add to this, S.K. has been in the process of laying off thousands of SK English teachers due to budget changes. It's my understanding that the government recently lost quite a bit of money when it's status as a developing country changed - that money had been put directly into English education funds but is now circling the drain. It's highly subjective I suppose, but of the five countries I've taught in, SK was by far the most xenophobic of them all.

8 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Do you really believe that there are no female criminals? 

No, but given they get a free ride in other aspects of living here the disparity would not have been a surprise.