Trump says 'animals' comment refers to criminals, Mexico protests

webfact

Here's the transcript from the White House. The prior comment by a sheriff made reference to a potential MS-13 person. But the president's response was clearly broader and addressed at people he considers to be criminals coming across the border.

SHERIFF MIMS:  Thank you.  There could be an MS-13 member I know about — if they don’t reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about it.

THE PRESIDENT:  We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country.  You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are.  These aren’t people.  These are animals.  And we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before.  And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out.  It’s crazy.

The dumbest laws — as I said before, the dumbest laws on immigration in the world.  So we’re going to take care of it, Margaret.  We’ll get it done.  We’re going to ask that man right there, because that man can do it.  (Laughter.)  Right now he’s the most important man in the room.  Kevin can do it.

He pretty clearly was not just/ONLY talking about MS-13, and in his actual response, he made no specific mention of MS-13 at all.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-california-sanctuary-state-roundtable/

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

He pretty clearly was not just/ONLY talking about MS-13, and in his actual response, he made no specific mention of MS-13 at all.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-california-sanctuary-state-roundtable/

The Associated Press 
?Verified account @AP 

AP has deleted a tweet from late Wednesday on Trump’s “animals” comment about immigrants because it wasn’t made clear that he was speaking after a comment about gang members. 

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/politics/associated-press-retracts-tweet-claiming-trump-called-immigrants-animals/76784769/

Intellectually dysfunctional, morally bankrupt and totally unfit for public office at any level. I wouldn't leave this guy in charge of a car wash, let alone a country (he'd be washing all the cars himself by the end of the week because no-one with any self-respect will work with him).

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the transcript from the White House. The prior comment by a sheriff made reference to a potential MS-13 person. But the president's response was clearly broader and addressed at people he considers to be criminals coming across the border.

You obviously have a problem with comprehension or are deliberately obfuscating

Sherriff Mims was talking about criminals being held in his jail.

The Quote is here

SHERIFF MIMS:  Thank you, Mr. President.  You know, sheriffs in California are now in an untenable position when it comes to trying to figure out — now, we have state law, we have federal laws, and here we are stuck in the middle.  Sheriffs, especially, because most of us run our county jails.

When there became a legal challenge to the 48-hour holds for ICE, it was very frustrating for us.  So what I did is I invited ICE to put their officers in my jails so they’re able to do their work.  We didn’t have the staffing to be able to help figure out who they wanted to talk to or didn’t.  I said, come on in, work with our people to keep our community safe.  Two weeks later, Mr. President, Kate Steinle was murdered.

Now, I wasn’t the only sheriff to do that.  Sheriff Youngblood did, Sheriff Christianson.  And it was perfect — because we didn’t have to take our time, with our staff, to do anything.  ICE was in there doing their work in a safe, controlled, environment.  And then, the initiatives started happening — the TRUST Act, the TRUTH Act, and finally, SB 54, the Values Act.  And that is causing us all kinds of turmoil.

So here we are, stuck in the middle, trying to decide.  We have federal law, we have state law.  And that’s why I welcomed Attorney General Sessions’s lawsuit, because that will provide us the clarity that we need and direction that we need.  What do we do?  Because here we are.

And I appreciated Mr. Homan and ICE.  We had a great relationship; we still do.  But now ICE is the only law enforcement agency that cannot use our databases to find the bad guys.  They cannot come in and talk to people in our jail, unless they reach a certain threshold.  They can’t do all kinds of things that other law enforcement agencies can do.  And it’s really put us in a very bad position.

THE PRESIDENT:  It’s a disgrace.  Okay?  It’s a disgrace.

SHERIFF MIMS:  It’s a disgrace.

THE PRESIDENT:  And we’re suing on that, and we’re working hard, and I think it will all come together, because people want it to come together.  It’s so ridiculous.  The concept that we’re even talking about is ridiculous.  We’ll take care of it, Margaret.  We’ll win.

SHERIFF MIMS:  Thank you.  There could be an MS-13 member I know about — if they don’t reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about it.

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It was a room full of CA mayors, cops/sheriffs, prosecutors, pissed off about CA (D) sanctuary cities.  They covered a lot of political ground but the quoted section was about multiple offender criminal illegals and their rate or recidivism in the municipal and county LE level, and how partnering with ICE has helped.    There was a round up by Majority Leader McCarthy following that, including MS13.  

The overall tone and tenor of the meeting was clear.   Trump is NOT a refined public speaker.  I reserve the right to smash him selectively when he's wrong, but this isn't one of them.   IMO.

34 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

You obviously have a problem with comprehension or are deliberately obfuscating

Sherriff Mims was talking about criminals being held in his jail.

Speaking of comprehension, Sheriff Mims is actually a SHE, not a he... It's HER jail. Margaret to be specific..

If you'd actually read and comprehended the news you're posting about.

42 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

The overall tone and tenor of the meeting was clear.   Trump is NOT a refined public speaker.  I reserve the right to smash him selectively when he's wrong, but this isn't one of them.   IMO.

I don't think we have a disagreement. The president's answer made no specific mention of MS-13, but it was in response to a comment that mentioned MS-13, so that was the context.

The actual wording of his response does seem to reference people he considers to be criminals, for whatever reason. His exact words above don't specifically elaborate on exactly whom he was referring to. Thus you get the different interpretations of whom he may or may not have been referring to.

If he only meant MS-13 and members of criminal gangs with the "animals" reference, he could have been more clear in the wording of his answer. I personally wouldn't interpret his answer to be referring to all Mexico border crossers. But given Trump's past history of remarks and actions on minorities and immigrants, and coming on the heels of his recent comments on the border caravans issue, I can at least understand why his remarks drew the attention they did.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If he only meant MS-13 and members of criminal gangs with the "animals" reference, he could have been more clear in the wording of his answer.

It's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain he was referring to MS 13, but then the MSM twists Trump's words and misconstrues his intentions as usual.  And if you think Americans should sympathize with a criminal gang that promotes child prostitution among other things, then I really don't know what to say.

Just now, sukhumvitneon said:

It's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain he was referring to MS 13, but then the MSM twists Trump's words and misconstrues his intentions as usual.  And if you think Americans should sympathize with a criminal gang that promotes child prostitution among other things, then I really don't know what to say.

My comment above made no opinion one way or the other about the notion of referring to MS-13 members as animals, so I'm not sure why you would even broach that.

And, it's pretty hard to twist and misconstrue someone's intentions when they're at best vague based on what the guy actually said, his actual words.

But obviously, you're inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, despite his history of derogatory remarks again people of color and supportive remarks for white nationalist types.

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

His 'animals' comment was in reference to the MS13 gangsters. Of course, it was taken out of context by those in the media with an ax to grind. 

No need for media and any axe! This man is appearently happy to throw paperclips on the floor left for him to step barfoot on later. :cheesy:

Mr DT has actually put a new meaning on the word clumsy!

Here's a good refresher course on where Trump has been on race and minority issues in his public life, courtesy of the NY Times last January. The quotes I listed below are just a few of a much much longer list in the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html

He began his 2016 presidential campaign with a speech disparaging Mexican immigrants as criminals and “rapists.”

He uses the gang MS-13 to disparage all immigrants. Among many other statements, he has suggested that Obama’s protection of the Dreamers — otherwise law-abiding immigrants who were brought to the United States illegally as children — contributed to the spread of MS-13.

In June 2017, Trump said 15,000 recent immigrants from Haiti “all have AIDS” and that 40,000 Nigerians, once seeing the United States, would never “go back to their huts” in Africa.

Etc etc etc....

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think we have a disagreement. The president's answer made no specific mention of MS-13, but it was in response to a comment that mentioned MS-13, so that was the context.

The actual wording of his response does seem to reference people he considers to be criminals, for whatever reason. His exact words above don't specifically elaborate on exactly whom he was referring to. Thus you get the different interpretations of whom he may or may not have been referring to.

If he only meant MS-13 and members of criminal gangs with the "animals" reference, he could have been more clear in the wording of his answer. I personally wouldn't interpret his answer to be referring to all Mexico border crossers. But given Trump's past history of remarks and actions on minorities and immigrants, I can understand why his remarks drew the attention they did.

Fair enough.

After 2+ years of this, his gaff pattern is well established.  He's a gold mine for the media and his own worst enemy in front of a camera and hot mic.  This will be usurped in a day or two, max.

16 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Fair enough.

After 2+ years of this, his gaff pattern is well established.  He's a gold mine for the media and his own worst enemy in front of a camera and hot mic.  This will be usurped in a day or two, max.

It's usurped now .So easy to see how President Trump can turn the hate for him and supporters by showing the liberals favoritism for non Americans and criminal gangs.

"Another one of those moments where the president speaks irresponsibly about immigrants came on Wednesday, May 16. By now you may have heard about it, but you might not have gotten the full context. That's because Donald Trump's "animals" comment about illegal immigration has generally been a bit misreported, and that very important fact should matter most to his critics, for one big reason".

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/the-way-trumps-animals-comment-has-been-reported-is-bad-for-his-critics-9115296

It is interesting, but not surprising, that this brief exchange and 1 word, is what the poised media seized upon out of this meeting.  10 pages of Google results this morning, all the same headline.

To me, the fact he was meeting with this group of CA local leaders and LE officials dealing with the fall out of California's misguided attitude, is far more interesting.  Don't think there's enough there there to turn CA from blue to red though.

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

A highly unstable individual.Could someone please take his twitter account away from him and generally ban his access to social media?

That way most of us might get some peace and experience the delusion that the world is not being run by maniacs.

Nonsense. Gangs are worse than animals.

The only unstable ones are the obsessed haters.

18 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

To me, the fact he was meeting with this group of CA local leaders and LE officials dealing with the fall out of California's misguided attitude, is far more interesting.  Don't think there's enough there there to turn CA from blue to red though.

The White House invited some particular CA local government and law enforcement folks from conservative areas who support Trump's policies. The majority of CA and the state's government, and probably the majority of the population, do not.

And if the WH had invited the sheriffs or police chiefs from places like San Francisco or Los Angeles, he would have gotten a very different message. But of course, they were aiming for an anti immigrant love fest Trump style.

Here's a Los Angeles Times report from last month that illustrates why some reasonable thinking people are reluctant to provide cooperation with the federal immigration authorities these days:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-citizens-ice-20180427-htmlstory.html

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He’s not the only one who had to prove his citizenship

Immigration officers in the United States operate under a cardinal rule: Keep your hands off Americans.

But Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents repeatedly target U.S. citizens for deportation by mistake, making wrongful arrests based on incomplete government records, bad data and lax investigations, according to a Times review of federal lawsuits, internal ICE documents and interviews.

Since 2012, ICE has released from its custody more than 1,480 people after investigating their citizenship claims, according to agency figures. And a Times review of Department of Justice records and interviews with immigration attorneys uncovered hundreds of additional cases in the country’s immigration courts in which people were forced to prove they are Americans and sometimes spent months or even years in detention.

But, the broader reason for the non-cooperate policy in CA and other places -- whether anyone agrees with it or not -- is many law enforcement officials hold the view that they NEED the help and cooperation of the legal and illegal immigrant community to report on crimes and assist local law enforcement.

And they're simply not going to get that cooperation and support, including witness testimony in court cases, from law abiding residents if those people are fearing that any time they contact the police or come in contact with the police that they're going to end up being checked for their immigration status, etc etc.

And it's not just what the Trumpists here disparagingly refer to as liberals and leftists who hold that opinion, but a lot of major law enforcement authorities in the U.S.

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The White House invited some particular CA local government and law enforcement folks from conservative areas who support Trump's policies. The majority of CA and the state's government, and probably the majority of the population, do not.

And if the WH had invited the sheriffs or police chiefs from places like San Francisco or Los Angeles, he would have gotten a very different message. But of course, they were aiming for an anti immigrant love fest Trump style.

That was rather obvious reviewing the transcript. 

But the krap they were talking about is real.  They are the swirling drain where the turds of CA's attitude problem collect.   

I agree, the message out of SF/Bay and LA would be different and as predictable.  Probably a cliche like "We Got This", or whatever the pack follower's required meme of the week is way up there. 

11 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

That was rather obvious reviewing the transcript. 

But the krap they were talking about is real.  They are the swirling drain where the turds of CA's attitude problem collect.   

I agree, the message out of SF/Bay and LA would be different and as predictable.  Probably a cliche like "We Got This", or whatever the pack follower's required meme of the week is way up there. 

Most of the rank and file LEOs in California support Trump's policies on immigration but are hamstrung by the department brass and the legislature.  There are too many state laws to list that effectively prevent local LEOs from detaining illegal immigrants, so to say that the police in general support illegal immigration is dishonest. It's the same with gun control.  Can't get a permit to carry in LA county, or, god forbid, San Francisco, but Bakersfield?  Self defense is good cause. There are many Californians who are tired of the progressive agenda but limousine liberals and their ilk in LA and the SF bay area keep outvoting them.

Just now, sukhumvitneon said:

Most of the rank and file LEOs in California support Trump's policies on immigration but are hamstrung by the department brass and the legislature.  There are too many state laws to list that effectively prevent local LEOs from detaining illegal immigrants, so to say that the police in general support illegal immigration is dishonest. It's the same with gun control.  Can't get a permit to carry in LA county, or, god forbid, San Francisco, but Bakersfield?  Self defense is good cause. There are many Californians who are tired of the progressive agenda but limousine liberals and their ilk in LA and SF bay keep outvoting them.

Nobody wants to be the bad guy. 

37 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

There are many Californians who are tired of the progressive agenda but limousine liberals and their ilk in LA and the SF bay area keep outvoting them.

Democracy and electing one's chosen elected officials is a b**ch, isn't it?

But at least your so-called liberals in the LA and SF Bay area weren't elected as a result of an insidious campaign of false news, smears and misinformation perpetrated against the American people by Russia and its hackers, false Facebook accounts and propaganda efforts -- unlike our current "president" and Putin pal Trump.

5 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Yes, they know that, it's just a very lame excuse to keep venting their bile against the greatest US President perhaps ever. His achievements in the last 17 months put the last few presidents to shame, and this sits very uncomfortably with the far left that forecast doom and gloom when their candidate lost the election. Most immature of them in my humble opinion.

A worthy candidate for Troll of the Month award.

19 hours ago, 55Jay said:

It is interesting, but not surprising, that this brief exchange and 1 word, is what the poised media seized upon out of this meeting.  10 pages of Google results this morning, all the same headline.

Very much "unsurprising" when the assembled media mob are there with only one purpose in mind- to find something, anything, with which to beat Trump. They are obviously not there to "report the news", but to make it, and they probably have bets on who will be the one to first report the item that finally brings POTUS down.

Lost in the fiasco, of course, is what the meeting was actually about, which is what the media should be discussing, not something of little importance in the larger scale of things.

Donald Trump says things that if taken out of context can look bad, yes, but that's hardly world shaking news.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Very much "unsurprising" when the assembled media mob are there with only one purpose in mind- to find something, anything, with which to beat Trump. They are obviously not there to "report the news", but to make it, and they probably have bets on who will be the one to first report the item that finally brings POTUS down.

Lost in the fiasco, of course, is what the meeting was actually about, which is what the media should be discussing, not something of little importance in the larger scale of things.

Donald Trump says things that if taken out of context can look bad, yes, but that's hardly world shaking news.

You seem to forget that Trump has spent two years slagging the press off at any given opportunity. Many of the press hate him with a passion as a result of how he conducted himself at his pre election rally's, and he did it all for his own gain, to make himself look smart in front of his supporters. It was always a risky strategy and he will pay the price. Many journalists will dance and party all weekend if they bring Trump down. They hate him and karma is a btch when it comes back and bites you on the ass. He is getting his just deserve.

Archived