Wanted: Kindergarten teacher 4,000 baht a month - Thai social media goes bonkers

webfact

3 hours ago, SABloke said:

What happened to the budget that would have been allocated to the 5 teachers that left?

Mercedes-Benz maybe? 

3 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Teachers hired directly by the school (not yet a government officer) only get the minimum wages of around 300 Baht day x work 5 days  a week ≈ 6-7,000 Baht a month!!!
Why they accept this and also sometimes pay for getting the job?! When they have worked for a while (years) then they can become government officers and their salaries have a potential to get all the way up to 80-100,000 Baht/month for a teacher that keeps his/her mouth in cheek and do all the right things! And yeah, it is truth, I know this as my Thai co-teacher earns 75,000 Baht/month.

Have to pass the test/interview which isn't easy due to high attendance/limited places. You can be an official your first year out of university if you pass the process. Years of experience makes no difference (actually results in lesser pay/pension as you spent less years as an official). 

Many teachers never become officials for this reason (although everyone tries). Get their monthly salaries, but don't get the lifelong benefits. Usually the middle rank teachers who cant pass the test just work at private schools who give them the free health for them and their family until they retire. The lost causes just stay at government schools on closer to 9,000 per month, not 6,000. Half officials on about 15,000 I think (no pension).

Averaged experienced teachers who are officials but never climb up the food chain (ie stayed teachers) may get around 45,000 just before retirement. Directors maybe 55,000 (I am sure someone else could clarify exact figures). Regional head maybe 65,000. To be hitting close to 80k we are probably talking Ministry level (plus they get a few nice bonus from the companies who supply the materials - tea money). Maybe she meant 7,500, but even that is too small. 

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

lol, living in rural Isarn :cheesy:

Why would where you live matter? Every province in Thailand is run in the same way. Province, district, sub district/Tessaban and then village.

All of these places have senior officials, and yes, pay scales are national.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Everything in this place is a scam. Pathetic schools charging 20k to register your child plus the term fees. These are not top class schools. The whole set up is designed to fail and encourages corruption. Corruption everywhere in every sector  it really is hopeless.

Not forgetting that maybe some parents had to pawn stuff to pay for the little ones uniform.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Further up most likely not better which explains the total and utter failure of the education system in this country. I honestly wondered countless times, what kids during 15 years of school (primary, secondary, college) are being told and taught as, upon leaving, they cant even tie their shoe laces. 

I visited public schools in the North where Thais taught English. Trust me, I would never send any of my kids to such classes as basics like "how are you" were answered with "yes, how nice". The flip side of the coin is, that alien teachers were driven off the shore by the plane load and then you wonder, why Thais creep on the bottom of the educational ladder in Southeast Asia, ASEAN and the rest of the world.

How sad, as these kids are born as smart or stupid like anybody else - the system ruins whatever is there on potential skills and gifts ........... 

"potential skills and gifts" will not be tolerated in this subservient society!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Oh, yeeah...so child friendly to park the kids with the grandparents, give them a literal zero- education where they learn how to goosestep and sing praises to a made- up, fairy- tale history, feed them on a diet of chips, dried squid and Fanta, let them ride motorcycles from the age of 8 ...without helmet...have them ride on the back of a pick up and all that stuff that is sooooo healthy and good for a child's upbringing!

I really hope, you don't have kids!

Thais care about kids, they even stand up to give kids a seat on the back of a pick up !

I have 2 kids at schools here who don't learn to goose step and the other things you mention. I'd rather they learned here than Scotland.

I have friends there with kids of a similar  age who are drug addicts and alcoholics and most are having sex by 15. 

Are you referring to singing praises to Buddhism. Although, I'm of no religion, I'd rather they learned about that than the BS I learned about.

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

I worked for a large chain of bilingual schools in Bangkok for over 10 years and I never saw anything that resembled an education???  We were blocked from teaching most of the time by shows promoting either the school or some product they allowed on the school grounds.  Very few Thai parents ever complained....it seems that their kids being seen going to and fro in the uniform of a hi-so school was more important than any educational stuff!!

Cronyism is more important to get on in life here than learning about geography, maths or whatever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Cronyism is more important to get on in life here than learning about geography, maths or whatever.

Is right. I inerviewed a potential English teacher asst. once. She couldnt speak ANY English, not even to say where she was from. In the end she started crying but got the job over other better candidates as her sister was a teacher within the school. 

• Like 2

If we all give 20 baht each I am sure we can increase her salary to 20k .  Easy to transfer from any online banking. Someone just needs to organize it. 

Then the school will have 100 applicants lining up in no time.

Edited by balo

Illegal workers from Myanmar are employed for 8000 Baht a month (which is still a little under the legal minimum wage) to do basic tasks in factories and as manual laborers. They don't need any qualifications whatsoever. Yet this school wants someone with a Bachelor's degree to work for less than this? OMG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

The school principle does fascist stuff like this, then probably also openly fleeces the parents at any opportunity of all he can (same as all these schools). My son goes to an above average (but not silly elite/expensive) private school and is in Mathyom 6 now in Bangkok and they just turned round in the first week of term and said all of them have to buy "ballroom dancing shoes" from the school for a 1000 baht...what a load of BS. Won't be long too before they say they are all going for the yearly weekend trip to Hua Hin and stay in a resort that the school conveniently owns. So glad he finishes high school this year....complete and utter BS here in the education system.

You allow him to do ballroom dancing!

Just say no.

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's impossible, the salary of government officials follows a table that you can find on Google, depending on rank and number of years in service, and not even the highest rank (and a government worker who has a rank equal to a 4 star army general does not actively teach anymore, and just a very small percentage of people will ever reach any "general" rank anyway) and maximum years reaches 80k

My wife retired as an ordinary classroom teacher, with almost 40 years service, a couple of years ago on a final salary of 78,000฿ a month and now on a pension of 39,000.

Actually, I stand corrected. A small percentage of classroom teachers can reach much higher salaries than I thought. Their standard salary obviously doesn't reach that much, but other factors of the salary (such as 'position' I think comes to 6,000 baht), so with everything added up, legally, it is not impossible to reach these higher numbers at a C8 level. But to get that in the future they would be needing to pass the official test at a young age (straight out of university). 

What we don't look at when we look at salaries is the legal extras. Explains why nearly all teachers, once out of university, try to become an official. 9,000 vs 45-70,000 with health care, payout, pension, payout to family when die, funeral costs covered.