Good news: Russian mum and child found - but what was she thinking?

rooster59

Good news: Russian mum and child found - but what was she thinking?

32929766_590879317946174_7452909220917149696_n.jpg

Image: Tourist Police Bureau

The Tourist Police Bureau said that there was good news yesterday after they were alerted to the whereabouts of a Russian mother and her young child.

A foreign member of the public called "Kim" said they had spotted Anna Nikolaievna, 36, and her one and half year old child Polina at Tesco Lotus in Nong Khai.

They had earlier been reported as being in trouble.

Pol Maj Somjet Thambut went to the scene.

It was reported by the TPB that Anna and Polina had left Bangkok with 150 baht and were walking with a buggy.

They were apparently picked up by a motorist and taken north east.

Somjet told Anna that this was not safe and made sure she got to a guest house in Nong Khai.

The police were going to take the mother and child to Khon Kaen on Saturday as Anna said that is where she wanted to go. 

The TPB gave no further details as to why a Russian woman might be walking with her child from Bangkok to the north east of Thailand with just 150 baht in her pocket. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-19

32892116_590879331279506_4469637418290511872_n.jpg

33110819_590879361279503_4116013905904402432_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Sorry but if she doesn't have enough finances to support them both they should be handed over to Immigration and sent home , glad their both safe but reckless and child endangerment is what she should be charged with .

I doubt that Russia is interested by reckless and child endangerment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

I doubt that Russia is interested by reckless and child endangerment.

Some people including Keith sometimes tend to overlook the fact that this event happened in Thailand where people actually have to contend with the consequences of their own actions and where a case of 'child endangerment' would involve placing a child in a situation where it is in fact in actual danger.

They also overlook the fact that they're no longer in the molly coddled nanny states that they are used to living in. God knows how they'd have fared if they had been the latch key kids in the decades after WW2 that some of us were and their playgrounds had been the bomb sites that were common in British and German cities at the time.

A friend of my does this couch surfing thing... She had a Russian girl (early 20's) that came and stayed with her. She came on one way ticket and when she had reached my friends apartment she was already down to 200 Baht cash and credit... she had had 1000 Baht cash when she landed at the airport!
So, this in not the first Russian (and probably other nationalities too) that has come here with nothing!

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say that, but people like this woman, especially with a child, should not be granted a visa to Thailand.

It's easy to see that the woman must have a mental problem. Russian embassy should take over, send her home for free and take care of the family.

It's sad, both could be dead by now. 

I'm glad they were found safely, but.  Wow.  Is it just me, or does this woman look nothing like the picture in the thread (story) where they said they were looking for her?  I know the picture was crappy, but for one, she weighs a lot less than she did in that picture... if you're going to want me to look for someone, you can't give me a bad side-on picture where she also has a completely different body type (to go with the partially-face-obscured picture of the child I'm also supposed to be looking for).

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Some people including Keith sometimes tend to overlook the fact that this event happened in Thailand where people actually have to contend with the consequences of their own actions and where a case of 'child endangerment' would involve placing a child in a situation where it is in fact in actual danger.

They also overlook the fact that they're no longer in the molly coddled nanny states that they are used to living in. God knows how they'd have fared if they had been the latch key kids in the decades after WW2 that some of us were and their playgrounds had been the bomb sites that were common in British and German cities at the time.

And if something had happened and they had found the kid's body in a ditch instead, everyone here who was all "ooh I hate nanny states" would be "OMG Thailand has to do something!!"  It happens, after all, every time there's a thread about a kid (or sometimes other person) killed in the back of a pickup truck, minivan, motorbike, etc.  Can we make up our mind?  Either we want safety laws, or we want the government to stay out of our business.  One or the other, I don't care which, let's just pick one and stick with it.

(Also, unfortunately, in this case, it may have been someone else who had to contend with the consequences of this woman's actions, and that's where the problem comes in.  You can do whatever you want to yourself, but when what you do negatively affects someone who had no hand in the stupidity, and may not even have had a choice in whether they had to participate, that's another story.)

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm sorry to say that, but people like this woman, especially with a child, should not be granted a visa to Thailand.

They don't give specifics, so maybe she just lost all of her money along the way, but I take it she wasn't stopped at the border for not carrying 20,000 baht...

Edited by Katia

She looks like the Russian lady in a story on TV  in the near past who was begging on the streets in BKK with kid in tow and said her husband had left her and she had no money. Could be same person?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, yogi100 said:

:violin::violin::violin:

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

It's easy to see that the woman must have a mental problem. Russian embassy should take over, send her home for free and take care of the family.

It's sad, both could be dead by now. 

simple, go home