Becoming a "Certified" translator in Thailand

I have done Thai-to-English translations. Translation of a baby's Thai birth certificate, for example, to apply for citizenship from the US Consulate, requires "certification." In that case, I add a statement like this:

"I certify the attached document to be an accurate translation of the accompanying Thai language document, by virtue of my 40 years of study of the Thai language." Of course, the "40 years" used to be less. The US Consulate in ChiangMai finds this acceptable. Other institutions might not.

10 minutes ago, Maestro said:

For the record, the question was as follows:

"Does anyone know what the process is for a Thai national to become a certified translator?"

I think I read somewhere that the Thai person translating must hold a bachelor degree or higher in the language, and that it will then be accepted by official institutions in Thailand. 

On 5/20/2018 at 4:28 PM, LawrenceN said:

I have done Thai-to-English translations. Translation of a baby's Thai birth certificate, for example, to apply for citizenship from the US Consulate, requires "certification." In that case, I add a statement like this:

"I certify the attached document to be an accurate translation of the accompanying Thai language document, by virtue of my 40 years of study of the Thai language." Of course, the "40 years" used to be less. The US Consulate in ChiangMai finds this acceptable. Other institutions might not.

I went through that as well but in Bangkok, and I had to.. ( or maybe I didn't have to ) get the Thai birth certificate certified by some Thai office.

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

For the record, the question was as follows:

"Does anyone know what the process is for a Thai national to become a certified translator?"

i have always liked thomas edison's quote  "Genius Is One Percent Inspiration, Ninety-Nine Percent Perspiration"

Edited by atyclb

3 hours ago, rickudon said:

Going by the English translations you see every day in Thailand. i would say most 'translators' need to be certified .... in an institution.

thai is an imprecise language