U.S. bishop wows royal wedding with impassioned sermon on love

rooster59

U.S. bishop wows royal wedding with impassioned sermon on love

800x800 (3).jpg

The Most Rev Bishop Michael Curry, primate of the Episcopal Church, gives an address during the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in Windsor, Britain, May 19, 2018. Owen Humphreys/Pool via REUTERS

WINDSOR, England (Reuters) - African-American bishop Michael Curry electrified the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with a barnstorming sermon on the power of love that won smiles in the ancient British chapel and praise across the internet.

Curry, the first black head of the Episcopal Church in the United States, started by quoting civil rights hero Dr Martin Luther King and powered on citing spirituals, medieval poetry and the experiences of slaves in the American south.

"There’s power in love. Do not underestimate it. Anyone who has ever fallen in love knows what I mean," he said at the start of a 14-minute address that jolted the congregation after a long period of serene choral music and formal ceremony.

By the end, he was referring to Harry and Meghan as "my brother, my sister," and telling them "God love you, God bless you" before the opening notes of the soul standard "Stand By Me" started up.

Meghan smiled throughout as Harry looked on intently.

"It was a moment for African-Americans. It was like we were at church. It was the word that love conquers all," said Karen Long from Houston, Texas, who came to Windsor with her sister and friend, all dressed as bridesmaids.

"It was a perfect blend between her culture and the royal culture. As an African-American woman, it was made in heaven," she said.

The reaction online was overwhelmingly positive.

"Quoting Dr. Martin Luther King from the altar of a British royal wedding. This sermon by Rev Michael Bruce Curry is very American, very boisterous, very passionate. Love it," said New York Times reporter Katie Rosman on Twitter.

Karen Attiah, Global Opinions Editor of the Washington Post, called the whole wedding "an overt celebration of black American culture".

"I wrote back in the fall that I didn’t think Meghan Markle was going to be very outspoken about race once she married into the royal family. Maybe she will prove me wrong?," Attiah tweeted.

"DISCOVER LOVE"

Members of the royal family, including Harry's brother Prince William, could be seen on TV smiling during the lengthy address.

Some commentators took to Twitter to point out the facial reactions in the chapel to the Bishop's sermon. In particular, a close-up of the Queen's granddaughter, Zara, with her mouth open became a focus for social media. Harry's cousin Princess Beatrice was spotted giggling.

Barely glancing at the transcript of his speech on a tablet computer in front of him, Curry talked directly to a congregation that included Queen Elizabeth and celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Elton John and David Beckham.

He told them that love was not just for married couples but part of God's plan with the power to change lives.

"Dr King was right: 'We must discover love, the redemptive power of love, and when we do that, we will make of this old world a new world,' Curry said in hushed tones, grasping the lectern.

"Imagine our neighborhoods and communities when love is the way. Imagine our governments and countries when love is the way," he said in a rare nod to politics during a highly orchestrated British state occasion.

The Episcopal Church - the U.S. arm of the Anglican Communion which also includes the Church of England, headed by the queen – has taken a strongly liberal stand on social issues, including gay marriage, which it allows.

Curry was born in Chicago in 1953 and went on to become the bishop of North Carolina. At his installation at the head if the Episcopal church in 2015, he called for economic and racial unity at a time of rising racial tensions.

In 2016 he said he lamented the decision by the wider Anglican Communion to slap sanctions on the U.S. church over its support of gay marriage.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-19
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I just saw an excerpt  his  "speech". It might have played well for an uneducated crowd typical of many US congregations, but it was not appropriate for the people sitting in that church.  The majority of those people, when they are within their circle of friends, still refer to people of colour by certain adjectives that some may find offensive. It lacked decorum.

Frankly, I could care less about Harry or his  shallow wife and her collection of crazy relatives. My takeaway was that this was a farce of a wedding and that it provided the introduction for what I anticipate will be a few years of scandals and embarrassments. A civil ceremony would have sufficed.

please share on here all your great marriage experiences and all those you have left behind for whatever shallow reason, what is it - married twice three times abandoned deserted like many here living in Thailand, oh yeah my ex wife was an alcoholic....nothing to do with me, she drank herself to death but funny she is still alive 20 years on  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,case rested

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, smedly said:

I honestly have to agree with that comment, didn't they tell him he had like 2mins which would still have been long, he got up there and went on and on and nobody dare say a word, talk about overtaking the whole thing, I actually changed channels a few times and he was still going on and on, people were very obviously embarrassed at the whole overbearing episode, maybe he thought he was in Kentucky were that stuff is tolerated ………………………….. massive spoiler and a blight on the whole proceedings - someone should have told him it was not about him....disgusting    

Yes, I turned sound down and kept changing channels and was still there. He was actually preaching to highly educated people about the meaning of love.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, samran said:

Love the judgements. 

But you know what? 

It was THEIR wedding. They knew what they were getting and clearly got it. 

No doubt Betty did too. She was known to be fond of a bit of ole Billy Graham. 

But I’ll hand it back to the rest of youse to continue with the peanut gallery assessments.

On to more important things. Lady Kitty Spencer and Amal Clooney get my vote for best dressed..

8AF5E89F-A9CB-4AB9-A2BF-83DD57F2863D.jpeg

126E0E07-B0FA-4606-9D56-68BB6298B741.jpeg

The protocol is 5 Minutes he spoke  for 14

10 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

The protocol is 5 Minutes he spoke  for 14

I’m sure that has been noticed many times already at www.jobsworth.com

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Bishop Curry is a.......... primate??  LOL

Surely they could of dug up a better word than that.

I'm surrpised they didnt erect four minaretes outside the chapel to give it a more multi cultural appeal to the great unwashed masses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, samran said:

I’m sure that has been noticed many times already at www.jobsworth.com

Really it's a Royal protocol. You could the look their faces he 14-minute speech was totally unexpected, Anyway, I can see not many people appreciate your comments with you pathetically low like rate

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, samran said:

Love the judgements. 

well thanks, you are very obviously not from the UK....evangelists are big business in the US - praise the Lord almighty - feel the Love spread the love of jeeeesus  …………….hallelujah no condoms she just got pregnant - a virgin, spread the love hallelujah...………………..look it up if you aren't getting it

not everyone buys into the evangelist nonsense that the trailer park communities in the US seem to enjoy and thrive on, put you money here on your way out - right

it really doesn't fit in England for now and I suspect never will especially at a state wedding, it tarnished the whole thing but hey someone got one up on the British Monarchy, like I said the organ player should have started 2mins in, it was cringe worthy even for me, I suspect he went straight to the airport right after. 

If  - his eminence the rev joe blogs nobody hadn't tried to steal the show we would not be talking right now, what was it - 20mins ………...seriously, 2mins was enough of that crap

and not to mention the political trappings involved

someone should have shut him up.....I would have

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

well thanks, you are very obviously not from the UK....evangelists are big business in the US - praise the Lord almighty - feel the Love spread the love of jeeeesus  …………….hallelujah no condoms she just got pregnant - a virgin, spread the love hallelujah...………………..look it up if you aren't getting it

not everyone buys into the evangelist nonsense that the trailer park communities in the US seem to enjoy and thrive on, put you money here on your way out - right

it really doesn't fit in England for now and I suspect never will especially at a state wedding, it tarnished the whole thing but hey someone got one up on the British Monarchy, like I said the organ player should have started 2mins in, it was cringe worthy even for me, I suspect he went straight to the airport right after. 

If  - his eminence the rev joe blogs nobody hadn't tried to steal the show we would not be talking right now, what was it - 20mins ………...seriously, 2mins was enough of that crap

and not to mention the political trappings involved

someone should have shut him up.....I would have

Nonsense, evangelist style preaching is a feature of many types of US religions including Baptist, lest you forget Meghan is American and she is half black, she has a right to see her style of religion incorporated into the service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought his address was the best thing about the interminable day. That and the cello performance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think I saw a few yawns during the cello performance, three pieces of music all very similar.......boring. And as for that American pastor........absolute rubbish.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's reassuring to see that the bigotry and racism of some TVF posters into restricted just to Thai nationals but to people of all colours in many different countries!

I think the biggest crime for the TV Huns is that he got a bit uppity. 10 kids got shot yesterday yet this is a bigger outrage for them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Religion creates war. But this was a nice day for the couple so hence: Congratulations! 

Many think that Catholics shouldn't be marrying into the royal family. The elite were not happy with a Muslim (Dodi) so why welcome a Catholic?

Charles; that over-privileged heir to the English throne, is 'defender of faiths', so perhaps that makes everything OK?!

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Gawd no. Who’d want to be English? Sh!te weather for starters. 

No, I am Australian but I do pay into your wonderful pension system (thanks for that, great value for money) and last I looked Libby was queen of Australia too. And if the five people in front of him happened to fall over and die tomorrow, Harry would be King of Australia as well. 

But i digress, he’s not an evangelist. Far from. He’s an Anglican Bishop from the states. 

You should really get your facts straight. 

As for this not really fitting into England... guess who always got an invite to preach every time he visited England? 

605CEF21-A1F7-421B-9ADF-34CE58813E57.jpeg

5D3A58A9-18AC-4E19-A927-6E1FBB23160B.jpeg

Edited by samran

The Most Rev Bishop Michael Curry, primate of the Episcopal Church

That's when I stopped reading. I thought primates are not allowed in a church? 

That happens when you're gone for so long......:shock1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, samran said:

Gawd no. Who’d want to be English? Sh!te weather for starters. 

No, I am Australian but I do pay into your wonderful pension system (thanks for that, great value for money) and last I looked Libby was queen of Australia too. And if the five people in front of him happened to fall over and die tomorrow, Harry would be King of Australia as well. 

But i digress, he’s not an evangelist. Far from. He’s an Anglican Bishop from the states. 

You should really get your facts straight. 

Melbourne aint much different from Southern England im told ,need to go up for good weather