What Are These Bugs??

dddave

These bugs have infested my apartment in Bangkok: floors, cabinets, shelving.  Can anybody identify them?  I've checked my rice and other grain based supplies and they don't seem to be the source.  They don't seem to bite.

I have sprayed full cans of supermarket type insecticide into every nook and cranny I can think of before going out for a day but they always seem to return.

All suggestions appreciated.

IMG_20180520_083300 (1).jpg

Try Chaindrite spray,for cockroaches and termites,

Mosquito spray might not be strong enough.

need a clearer photo to see what they are,cannot

even see if they have legs.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

hello, 

maybe the worm of bread or stegobium
otherwise type "small insect in house"
then "image" and you see the insects scrolling;
click on the one that seems good to you,
  then click again and you have his name

2 minutes ago, sirocco said:

actually, RBOP, this could be weevils
  who put themselves in the pasta, the flour, and that we find in another form on the vegetable plants.

He should get a clear, crisp photo of them, perhaps with a coin or pen or something next to them to give us an idea of scale. 

Carpet beetles ?    If you have some small centipedes in the home, (NOT the giant variety).... they will take care of the other bugs. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition

I'm only guessing as the photo isn't good, but they look and sound like tobacco beetles.

Are they slow moving and fly short distances? Also when they're threatened they curl up into a ball and play dead..

These beetles infest a wide variety of products, including pet food,  rice, flour, cereal, spices and pasta. They have also infested books, dried flowers, spices, leather, silk, old rodent bait and even museum specimens. In homes, spices and dry pet food are very common foods for cigarette beetles.

I had them in my house last year, they were a real pain in the backside as we couldn't find where they were coming from, I'd spend ages hovering them up each night before going to sleep, for some reason they never seemed to be about during daylight hours.

My wife eventually found where they were living and breeding, she had one of those microwaveable hot pads that was filled with rice in the bottom of her wardrobe, it had been there for ages unused, when she opened it up there was hundreds of these pesky critters inside having a party.

If you can't find them inside the food in your cupboards or pantry, then you'll have to have a good look around the rest of your home and find their nest, they won't go away by themselves, good luck!

• Like 1

Sounds like you are taking precautions, but be extra careful when using the insect sprays here, they are extremely potent. You spray in one area and bugs die three meters away! I don't know what kind of bugs they are, but I have used a spray that is made by Fumakilla, it's called "Vape One Push". It comes in a small pump type bottle and the instructions say to just give the pump one push and then leave the room.

Possibly mutatiobestiamicrofluctus? (I've nevet heard of it before).I asked my wife if she has seen these and she Googled what she thought they are called in Thai. The Thai name brings up quite a few search results but looking through those I found only one Latin name and no English names. For this reason I hope it's acceptable to the moderators if I include the Thai name หนอนปลอก

I remember seeing creatures like this in Africa. Larvae of a moth that creates a protective jacket with bits of fibre and debris.

OP did check food sources were clean so that seems to rule out weevils.

Edited by paulsingle

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Carpet beetles ?    If you have some small centipedes in the home, (NOT the giant variety).... they will take care of the other bugs. 

Do you mean the small ones that roll up into a circle? I like those,and years ago did pick them up and move them outside,until a Thai person told me they bite,I still move them outside when I see one occasionally,but if they get rid of other pests,will leave single ones to do their stuff.

No, it is not Mutatiobestiamicrofluctus, even if it is found on our walls (and on the internet)
Its insect is rather like the shape of a cocoon, or a foestus
that's why I think more about the vrillette
of bread or stegobium.

Try Borax (which is Boric Acid) - as long as you don't have pets.

It's sold in the US markets in the laundry detergent section, and in Home Depot type stores with the insect sprays.

Sprinkle it on the floor along the base of the cabinets in the kitchen, etc.

I don't know if it will work with your bugs but it works great with roaches and ants.

They either eat it or walk on it and eat it when they lick their feet.

You could mix it with some flour and cocoa and the bugs should eat it.

Nothing harmful to inhale other than avoiding doing that when placing it on the ground, not dangerous unless one eats it.

Don't use it if you have pets though.

Edited by JimmyJ

9 hours ago, sirocco said:

actually, RBOP, this could be weevils
  who put themselves in the pasta, the flour, and that we find in another form on the vegetable plants.

It is difficult to tell as pic too blurry, but looks like "weevils" as Sirrcco said.....I find that even if white flour is sealed in a Zip-Loc bag they will appear after a few weeks.

I used to sift them out, but now I just pretend that they are "Whole Grains", leave them in and I tell myself it is healthier than plain white flour!

And maybe they add a little protein?

• Like 1