Video: An accident or skulduggery? Mekong cycling road race ends in controversy

webfact

Video: An accident or skulduggery? Mekong cycling road race ends in controversy

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A cycling road race around three north eastern Thai provinces at the weekend ended in controversy as five riders ended up in hospital.

An accident occurred just 700 meters from the end of a 372 kilometer three stage marathon road race.

But what was billed as an advert for Thai tourism attracted unwelcome publicity as it appeared that a fellow rider might have deliberately caused the crash.

Rider number 205 was caught on a helmet cam leaning into a fellow rider who fell causing other riders to fall too.

Rider 205 said that it was an accident and he didn't mean it - but many netizens who viewed the footage after it was posted on Facebook by Pawin Pong Suwannacheep begged to differ.

Especially as 205 was on the winning team and got a prize.

Thai Rath said that race officials were unavailable for comment.

The footage was taken from the climax of The Great Mekong Bike Race 2018 that attracted Thai and foreign cyclists to the event around Nakorn Phanom, Mukdahan and Sakon Nakhorn from Friday to Sunday.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-21

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah turd 205 should be barred from future races or fined plus pay cost of repairs

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

205 is scum and  he should be dealt with by  other riders.

205 should be outed. Some people may very well want to know who he is and where he can be found.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Especially as 205 was on the winning team and got a prize.

Do we have a pic of him standing up there proudly holding his prize? ?

Pure Thainess, the only thing that matters is winning. How one wins matters not a jot. 

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Pure Thainess, the only thing that matters is winning. How one wins matters not a jot. 

32929392_1760308867346220_275332413268164608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e1d19bc1f293dd605f973d367c30db2f&oe=5BC3844F

He should be banned from racing for at least 2 years.  This type of cheating happens a lot here in Asia, cutting swim courses is common. I have seen people cut kilometers out of run courses by knowing where the marshals are and the electronic race chip checks.  I came 2nd in a race once and when I asked about the guy who won they said 'he won by an hour and a half' it was short course Triathlon NOT Ironman.  I said "do you think that is strange" They told me "no, he is very good".  I actually saw him cut the course and believed they'd catch him.  Obviously not.  I hope when he looks at his Trophy he feels like a cheating piece of crap.

40 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I hope when he looks at his Trophy he feels like a cheating piece of crap.

He probably feels like he earned the trophy with his cheating. As you say, cheating is rife I'm Asia and is treated as a desirable way of achieving a goal. The person is proud that they are clever enough to cheat and winning is all that matters.

They have no appreciation of the Western concept that cheating is bad, unfair or means you don't deserve the prize.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yes, of course, no foreign cyclist ever cheated,

regards Lance. 

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah turd 205 should be barred from future races or fined plus pay cost of repairs

I am presuming with evidence like this there are rules that can be applied and perhaps a disqualification of him (and maybe his team) is the usual reaction. Hardly looked like an accident.