Is it Ok to laminate original Thai documents? Birth certificate etc

Kenny202

Amphur told us this morning that it would be a problem...not that the person we were dealing with would know. I know many Thai peoole do it here. I have some documents pertaining to my son (citizen, birth cert etc) which one day i need to produce in Australia and it may be an issue there. I wonder if you could cut the laminating off and recover the document if it was an issue

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

VFS Visa UK rejected my wife's last Visa application because of this. They said they needed to feel the documents to ensure they were genuine and they couldn't do this if they were laminated. Apparently, this also goes for anyone applying for a British Passport at VFS as well.

2 hours ago, Nickthegreek said:

the laminating is only a plastic pocket, cut it and the original document can be removed.. as mentioned good for humid countries 

sometimes it doesn't cut out as ink may have melted onto the plastic, happen to me before. Some countries won't accept laminated versions, but you probably won't need to show original thai documents outside of thailand anyways.

3 hours ago, Nickthegreek said:

the laminating is only a plastic pocket, cut it and the original document can be removed.. as mentioned good for humid countries 

And good for countries where you need them several times a year !!

20 minutes ago, 007cableguy said:

My sons laminated Thai birth certificate was rejected by UK passport office I had a game getting it off!! Gave the wife a bollocking as well for laminating it against my advice!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not sure I understand this.  If your child was born in Thailand after 1983, then you could register the birth with the British Embassy and you would get a full UK birth certificate.  When it comes to applying for a UK passport, they wouldn't need to see the Thai Birth Certificate.  Because it's so easy to get a copy of a UK birth certificate, there is no necessity to laminate it.

My daughters have both Thai and UK birth certificates.  Getting them passports only required the UK birth certificate.

Not sure I understand this.  If your child was born in Thailand after 1983, then you could register the birth with the British Embassy and you would get a full UK birth certificate.  When it comes to applying for a UK passport, they wouldn't need to see the Thai Birth Certificate.  Because it's so easy to get a copy of a UK birth certificate, there is no necessity to laminate it.
My daughters have both Thai and UK birth certificates.  Getting them passports only required the UK birth certificate.
I applied for his passport whilst we were in the UK, The Thai's issued his passport with it laminated but UK refused it but luckily I got the laminate with a hairdryer and it was a bit sticky but they accepted it when I resent it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The big problem with lamination is that some photo copiers are not flatbed and the document must feed into the copier and they must be able to bend around the rollers plus the lamination sleeves have a glue that melts with the heat and adheres to the documents so cutting around the edge will not release the document, and if you try to peel the lamination off the document it will destroy the document. Any document that needs to be photo copied or is a legal document should not be laminated.

• Like 1

- Embossed stamps are flattened during the laminating process.

- A4 open sleeves are readily available at local supermarkets.

- Laminating a copy in case of loss isn't a bad idea but a better one is to copy to a secure file in the cloud & external HD.

HTH

15 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

And good for countries where you need them several times a year !!

During my working life I laminated hundreds of working instructions and as far as I know is the inside of the pocket covered with melting glue. You never can remove the pater anymore.

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

- Embossed stamps are flattened during the laminating process.

- A4 open sleeves are readily available at local supermarkets.

- Laminating a copy in case of loss isn't a bad idea but a better one is to copy to a secure file in the cloud & external HD.

HTH

i agree, just get an A4 sleeve that has a zip. It will protect your document from everything. Buy an A4 hard container to put sleeves in to protect it from being bent if you want to be extra careful.

4 hours ago, Marius Brok said:

During my working life I laminated hundreds of working instructions and as far as I know is the inside of the pocket covered with melting glue. You never can remove the pater anymore.

True. And yet here we have laminated docs like OP indicated including marriage cert birth cert etc. Never had problem from authorities here in thailand. 30 years. 

Go to Germany or UK and it might be an issue? But these are Thai docs which would need translation as well. So I agree there may be glue issues or use issues in foreign lands.