Is this a Residency Certificate?

I went to Chiang Mai immigration to get a certificate of residency (I'm getting this in order to get a Thai drivers license). 

At the end of the process the immigration officer signed and stamped a piece of paper then stapled it inside my passport. At the top of the paper it says "Receipt of Notification". It looks just like the image I've attached below.

Is this the actual residency certificate? If not, how do I get the certificate?

tm30-receipt-notification-4.jpg

Not it is not one. A certificate of residency is done on a sheet of A4 paper and has a photo your attached.

There is a separate office for doing them at the Promenada immigration office (500 baht for same day service).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not it is not one. A certificate of residency is done on a sheet of A4 paper and has a photo your attached.

There is a separate office for doing them at the Promenada immigration office (500 baht for same day service).

Are they going to send me a certificate? I'm pretty confused, hah.

Today I went to Promenada immigration. I went to window 7 and asked for a residency certificate. The lady told me residency certificates are handled upstairs, on floor 2. So then I went upstairs, took a number, and spoke to the officer when my number was called. I had already filled out the "Application For Residence Certificate In Thailand" so I handed it to her and said I would like a Certificate of Residency. Gave her my passport and gave her a copy of my condo lease contract. I had to wait for about 30 minutes while she checked something in the computer. She said I also needed copies of passport pages, passport pictures, etc. I told her I have those and began to hand them to her but she didn't take them. So I sat there a bit more as she continued checking the computer (I think to see if my landlord had verified my residence), then she handed me my passport back with the receipt stapled in it and said, "Ok, there you go". 

In any case, what do I do now to get the Residence Certificate?

3 minutes ago, Santogold said:

In any case, what do I do now to get the Residence Certificate?

Go back and ask again. Maybe she forgot what you were asking for.

They will not be mailing it to you.

• Like 1

Things might have changed since I got my Thai driving license but I simply used the 'international driving license' issued in my country of birth. This was then 'converted' to a Thai license at the Thai traffic office. For renewal, I have to produce the forefinger's yellow address registration book.

That’s a 90 day report simply saying that you reported and need to report in another 90 days. You need to be specific about what you want the certificate of residence for and it should be issued in accordance with what you want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Falcon said:

you want the certificate of residence for and it should be issued in accordance with what you want.

the certificate I got from Jomtien immigration  does not state a purpose...just  confirms the visa details and address,there is no expiry date stated either just a date of issue.

residence.thumb.jpg.4457999727119d3d894bfb48ecec7d2e.jpg

Edited by johng

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe, I have a question sir. I moved last Saturday to a townhouse. The owner has never rented to a foreigner before. I advised my girlfriend to explain to her she was required to do a tm30. She said never done, don’t know no can do.. what are my options..at this time I’m way out in nong prue without transportation getting to jomtien early in the morning would require moto taxis and multiple bhat bus connections I’d have to go the day before and get a room..I noticed on the form the owner signature is needed. Help....

Edited by JRUSA

1 hour ago, johng said:

the certificate I got from Jomtien immigration  does not state a purpose...just  confirms the visa details and address,there is no expiry date stated either just a date of issue.

Some offices do state the purpose the C of R was issued, so it can't be used for any other reason.

They are usually only valid for 30 days from issue.

22 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Ubonjoe, I have a question sir. I moved last Saturday to a townhouse. The owner has never rented to a foreigner before. I advised my girlfriend to explain to her she was required to do a tm30. She said never done, don’t know no can do.. what are my options..at this time I’m way out in nong prue without transportation getting to jomtien early in the morning would require moto taxis and multiple bhat bus connections I’d have to go the day before and get a room..I noticed on the form the owner signature is needed. Help....

To say it's the landladies responsibility to file the TM30 isn't quite true.

According to the law it's the responsibility of  The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence.

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

You should have also filed a TM28. (Change of address)

37 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Ubon will know for sure but I got caught on this.  Landlord did not report.

How are you here?

I have a retirement visa and when I went in for extension, they checked the computer and said my landlord did not report me and they denied me any extension until she came in to immigration and made the report.

But I got lucky, I called my landlord who was out of town anyway and the IO spoke to her on the phone for a few minutes and then told me I needed to pay 1500 b fine and everything would be square.

So, my point is it may delay any sort of future transaction at immigration if this has not been done.

Edited by bkk6060

20 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you sure you completed the correct form and told them it's for a Drivers License.

Cert of Residence.doc

I obtained this C of R from my local Police Station some time ago for a Motorcycle licence, but post it as an example of what your after.

1230205262_EditedCofR.thumb.jpg.f13214860a6a22b9795bc4afdd7730cf.jpg

Hi Tanoshi,

is that the Cert of residence application form that is downloadable?

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes, you got a TM30 from the room upstairs at Promenade.

Go back to Room 7 downstairs near the welcome desk and flash 500 baht requesting a C of R with photograph and completed application form (there are many variants available at the moment on the official websites but you could always fill one whilst in Room 7 and get help if required). You collect the following day (even if submitted in the morning).

At driving test centre you will also need a medical certificate which is less than 30 days old (you can photocopy if going for Bike and Car licences at the same time - you do NOT need two med certs).

You must book a test time/date first at Window 21, there are 3 sittings per day. All up it takes about 3 hours if you have a valid International Drivers Licence.

Note you can only get a motorcycle licence if you already have an international motorcycle licence! Otherwise you perform the whole test.

Update: Went to Promenada again today and went to OTain (around the corner from the 2nd floor immigration office). Wow, so much easier. Gave them all the documents including that receipt I mentioned before. The passport pictures I had were not the right size so they took new ones right there. Easy peasy 1-2-3sy. Expedited Residency Certificate 1000 baht, passport pictures 200 baht. Going back tomorrow to pick up the certificate. 

Edited by Santogold

• 2 weeks later...