Back Pain

roger101

I get back pain. not continuously as it comes and goes over time. I don't know what starts it off, or why it ends.Normally in a week or so.

What I do know. that at its worse Paracetamol does not work. Going over a bump on my motorbike is agony. What I want to know is what the best /strongest pain killer I can buy at a pharmacy.

Thank you.

The strongest pain killer you can buy is tramadol, but it has significant side effects and is also addictive. It is also only available at large pharmacies with a grade 1 pharmacist on duty and records are kept of sales. You should NOT ride a motorcylce or drive a care  while taking it.

From what you describe there is likely an inflammatory process and you  would probably get considerable relief from an NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc) which can be gotten at any pharmacy - take on a full stomach and don't take if you are on anti-coagulant or have a history of gastritis or ulcers.

Applying a cool pack or ice to the painful area will also help.

If I were you I'd see a physical therapist or good chiropracter, there may be postural issues contributing to this or muscle groups that need strengthening and the right exercises/stretched might help prevent this.

Severe back pains can be the results of muscular or spine related issues, but a worse case could mean a something more serious, an X-ray will be a good idea right about now instead of gulping strong painkillers....

On 5/25/2018 at 11:54 AM, Sheryl said:

The strongest pain killer you can buy is tramadol, but it has significant side effects and is also addictive. It is also only available at large pharmacies with a grade 1 pharmacist on duty and records are kept of sales. You should NOT ride a motorcylce or drive a care  while taking it.

From what you describe there is likely an inflammatory process and you  would probably get considerable relief from an NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc) which can be gotten at any pharmacy - take on a full stomach and don't take if you are on anti-coagulant or have a history of gastritis or ulcers.

Applying a cool pack or ice to the painful area will also help.

If I were you I'd see a physical therapist or good chiropracter, there may be postural issues contributing to this or muscle groups that need strengthening and the right exercises/stretched might help prevent this.

It normally doesn't last that long and sometimes its months before it happens again. If it lasts longer or comes more frequently I will go and see someone. With reference to pain killers I take Xarelto so any suggestions.

Dont drive after Tramadol  ??  Why ??   It has no side effects other then stopping relevant pain.

Far too much misreporting of medicines in the media under whatever guise

As I've had it since at least 2001 without stopping out of necessity I kinda know what am talking about

Have just looked at packaging "MAY cause drowsiness. IF it does caution should be exercised whilst operating machinary"

Absolutely nothing about NOT driving a car as clearly stated earlier

Edited by Chivas

There is virtually no drug on earth which has "no side effects".

Tramadol has a considerable number of  side effects, though only some people will experience them. Of concern vis-a-vis driving is:

Dizziness (very common)

Drowsiness/sedation (common)

Mental changes:  confusion, co-ordination disturbance, changes in cognitive and sensorial capacity (e.g. decision behaviour, perception disorders), hallucinations, syncope (fainting). These are less frequent than dizziness and drowsiness but can occur.

The Health Ministries of many countries advise against driving while taking this. Others advise caution and waiting to see how the drug affects you before driving.

People on it (or any other med) long term are less likely to be suffering major side effects, both because the body adjusts and because those who do suffer severe side effects are less likely to continue taking it.

Not an  issue for driving, but mood changes are  common and in some people take a very unpleasant form (dysphoria). I personally find it intolerable and have to be in really severe agony to take the stuff.