Excise official offers to make amends to tourists hit with liquor fine

webfact

Excise official offers to make amends to tourists hit with liquor fine

By The Nation

5be30aa4d9ac49578705500d7e0c724b.jpeg

The Excise Department denies that officials preyed on Singaporean tourists at the Suvarnabhumi Airport but has offered to make amends.

An executive at the department confirmed on Thursday that he was aware of the complaint that a group of Singaporeans were slapped with a Bt33,000 fine for carrying six bottles of alcohol into Thailand.

The tourists have aired on Facebook, which later appeared as a part of the story titled “Bangkok airport scam: 14 S’poreans allegedly asked to pay S$3,160 fine for carrying too much alcohol” on https://mothership.sg/2018/05/bangkok-airport-scam-fine-for-alcohol-cigarettes earlier this week. 

The Excise Department had already investigated the report, the Thai official said on condition of anonymity.

“The incident took place at Suvarnabhumi Airport but there was a receipt issued for the fine,” he said. 

“Although they carried six bottles, they came as a group. So, we can be lenient,” he said. 

He said his agency would try to contact the Singaporeans in question and offer a remedy.

Law allows each passenger to bring one litre of hard liquor into the country. There were 14 Singaporeans in the group but the fine was slapped because the six bottles were shared between two people.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346253

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-25

15 hours ago, smedly said:

so there is a group of 14 and they had 6 bottles between them, is it just me or is there something amiss with this

IMO they were 8 bottles short of their total allowance

well, these dillweeds are claiming that the bottles belonged to only two of the tourists.   

Funny how laws become flexible when there is publicity. 

My sister was hit with a fine in HK after being caught with too many cigarettes even though she was traveling with a large group of her friends. 

Bangkok airways are experts at confiscating your duty free booze of you. When travelling from Bangkok to Samui I have been hit 3 times by them even tho I had  purchase receipts and they were sealed  they even confiscated a very large sealed jar of marmite . I bet the staff have a hell of a party with all the stuff they seize and of you refuse to hand it over they don’t allow you to get on the flight  I now fly to Suratthani and get the ferry but at least I haven’t had anything taken off me .

when i returned in jan this year,i had brooze in the baggage  no one saw and never stopped me.not above my limit.anyway i saw 1 traveller with a duty free bag,guess who they stopped and checked.he was carry his legal amount from what i could see.this is thailand and we all know what can happen

17 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

I have never understood why customs officers have to resort stopping tourists after they have passed through the customs zone.

They have an area built (in a secure zone) for carrying out baggage inspections and searches.

Also what is the legality of this?

Once you have entered the arrivals hall surely you are on public ground and not in a bonded area, what if you refused a search?

As I know it and have first-hand seen it, the intercept for Excise inspection commonly takes place just after passing the Customs inspection area,  but before you physically pass through and exit the restricted area (just after and adjacent to the frosted glass barrier where non-traveling passengers may not pass.

IF so, then I’d argue that you were in fact still in the inspection area and as such would still be subject to official actions. I am not aware that the law explicitly defines or limits the physical place where an Excise inspection may or may not take place with respect to an incoming passenger... 

Now IF you in the general population area, I’d argue differently - and largely because a case could be made that the items in question could not longer be assured to be only that of the incoming passenger and not intermixed with property of a non-traveling person who was/is on the public areas and came into contact with the passenger prior to an Excise inspection.

In THIS story, as I read it, it’s not absolutely clear on the actual place where the contact was made... and to that end, I do think place matters — again to insure that only goods imported at that time and by that specific passenger are the only things assessed during the inspection and there isn’t any “contamination” of goods.

Some times it is better to EMS items before you fly back to yourself or better to put in the wife's/girlfriends name (Thai). As post for them normally gets home before you. Plus it will be held at the postoffice near home. If staying at a hotel that you know well send it there or just to the post office for collection. Never send with DHL etc., They charge taxes etc. Another way is to send with carriers like Kerrys. What I tend to do in the past is have the shop send it. 

Carrying the allowance for "other people" is a no no for me. Thai Customs should stand their ground in this instance. They have foolishly managed to make themselves appear shifty.

Duty Free shops should not knowingly sell  people more than their allowance, though I concede the onus of responsibility lies with buyers.

• Like 1