Changing address for driving licence

EricTh

Does anyone know what is the procedure for changing address of driving license in Chiang Mai?

Do we need to get a new residence cert or can we just fill up at form at the transport dept?

Edited by EricTh

You have to have a current residence certificate.  I went thru the process in March this year at the time I was applying for an international DL.  They would not issue an IDL using my current address as they had address from 4 years ago in their database. That required they issue a new Thai DL with my current address before they processed the IDL. Note my Thai DL was/is expiring in 4 months and the new Thai DL was not extended so I will have to obtain another residence certificate in September in order to renew the Thai DL.....

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

You have to have a current residence certificate.  I went thru the process in March this year at the time I was applying for an international DL.  They would not issue an IDL using my current address as they had address from 4 years ago in their database. That required they issue a new Thai DL with my current address before they processed the IDL. Note my Thai DL was/is expiring in 4 months and the new Thai DL was not extended so I will have to obtain another residence certificate in September in order to renew the Thai DL.....

I am not renewing the driving licence yet. It's just a change of address just in case the Transport Ministry wants to send some documents to me.

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I am not renewing the driving licence yet. It's just a change of address just in case the Transport Ministry wants to send some documents to me.

Don't be silly, this isn't the west, wait to change your address until you get an new Licence.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Is there any update to this string? I must now go and change the address on my Thai DL. 1) Do I need a residency certificate? and 2) If yes, can I use a letter from the US Embassy (US citizen) just as I did for visa renewals. Getting the "free" residency certification from the Immigration Office cost me 300 THB and 3/4 of one day sitting and waiting. Then they said, since they were so backed up, they'd mail it to me in 10 days to 3 weeks! As I was traveling (booked flights) in 3 weeks, I gasped. They said just wait and they were sure it would come in time. So I went in week 2 and just got the thing, telling them they had to give it to me straight away. They did (shocked). So I cost 300 baht and 2 full days of being in that place.

3) Do I need to inform the immigration of the new address?? I travel a bit and have already notified them via my arrival card. For my last move, I waited until the visa renewal, using the embassy letter (residency declaration) I had for the DL.

Hope someone might read this and respond. Thanks

I changed my driving licence address at the next renewal date of driving licence and the transport dept had no problem with that.

Just bring along your residence cert for the new address during renewal.

Edited by EricTh

I wanted to change my address as I have a 5 year license that has time on it yet. Went to transportation office on Hangdong Road and lady said just wait until you renew. Not sure how that jives with other agencies, but address mayn change first half of next year, so will wait.

Just renewed my 2 to a 5 year DL, moved province 18 months ago and asked ( created a thread on here) if necessary to change address on license . The general consensus was “ just wait till renewal, no problems “ and that was exactly what happened.
Got a residence certificate from immigration and renewed up to a 5 year with no questions asked.