Visakha Bucha Buddhist holiday brings alcohol ban to Phuket

rooster59

Visakha Bucha Buddhist holiday brings alcohol ban to Phuket 

The Phuket News

1527270412_1-org.jpg

As Visakha Bucha Day is a holy day, all shops, bars and restaurants are barred from selling alcohol for 24 hours from midnight to midnight on Tuesday (00:01hrs-23:59hrs).

PHUKET: The major Buddhist holiday Visakha Bucha Day will be honoured next Tuesday (May 29) with most government offices closed.

Also, as Visakha Bucha Day is a holy day, all shops, bars and restaurants are barred from selling alcohol for 24 hours from midnight to midnight on Tuesday (00:01hrs-23:59hrs).

Each year on Visakha Bucha Day, Buddhists all over the world commemorate three great events on this full moon of the sixth lunar month: The birth, enlightenment and the passing away of Gautama Buddha.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/visakha-bucha-buddhist-holiday-brings-alcohol-ban-to-phuket-67265.php#CKxLCigk3P0OHRkS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-05-26

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The birth, enlightenment and the passing away of Gautama Buddha.

Is there also another Buddha?

That was Buddha's name when he was a prince before he became Buddha. 

According to his chronicles, there were 23 Buddha's before him but millions of years between them. 

6 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

In Pattaya any day of the year you can always a whisky or beer on # 2 street at the Wxndxrfxl bar . rumor has always been a bib own it

Wonderful bar......... one of Pattaya’s many oxymorons!

46 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

In Pattaya any day of the year you can always a whisky or beer on # 2 street at the Wxndxrfxl bar . rumor has always been a bib own it

Wxndxrfxl bar just tweeted that you're banned for life!

5 hours ago, BWPattaya said:

What is the big deal about no alcohol days??

if you are so desperate for a drink buy it the day before and drink it in your home. 

Personally, I don't care about one dry day here or there, but it is useful information to have before you try to head to a pub. Also, like myself, many people enjoy drinking in pubs and bars, but not alone at home.

• Like 2

What I have learned in Thailand is what the authorities say and what the people do are two different matters. Thai people have no respect for the law in fact 70% don't even obey the law of land eg Law says you must wear a helmet when riding a bike. Do they obey this law NO? Law says you must stop at red light Do they obey NO?  In fact, they have so little respect for the law they even connect up free power from electricity meter to there house by running a cable and when they are caught nothing is done about. So in their mind why should they obey the law? So on Tuesday, the authorities have said  its a Non-alcohol day. What percentage of the population will obey this rule? Wife runs a restaurant and being a good Buddha lady she will not sell alcohol. Good Thai lady. But really she only hurting herself because they come in ask for alcohol when she says no they just go to alcohol shops along the road and buy it and bring it back. It's a bloody joke

18 hours ago, BWPattaya said:

What is the big deal about no alcohol days??

if you are so desperate for a drink buy it the day before and drink it in your home. 

I told myself that I should stop drinking alcohol beginning the next full moon. But I’m not about to listen to a drunk that talks to himself.

• Haha 2