How to get residency certificate?

I want to get a two year thai motorbike licence. 

I have a UK licence and an IDP. 

I think... I need a medical cert, a residency certificate, a few hours and about 2000 baht. 

However - I don't live in Thailand. I holiday in Thailand 2/3 times a year. And I want a Thai motorbike licence as then I can ride in Vietnam legally with my insurance valid. With my UK licence I can't. 

However how does one get a residency certificate? I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee to get this. But I'll be staying in hotel on holiday. I'll be in Samui if that makes a difference. 

Sorry if this seems a basic question - but google is very confused about if you can ever get one using a tourist visa on entry. But I think you can. 

4 hours ago, sammym said:

However how does one get a residency certificate? I'm happy to pay a reasonable fee to get this. But I'll be staying in hotel on holiday. I'll be in Samui if that makes a difference. 

I am not sure what Samui immigration requires to issue a certificate of residency. Best to check with them to find out if they will do one when only staying on a temporary basis.

I not then you could get one at your embassy or consulate.

When I got my licence on Samui it was a requirement to have a medical and a letter from immigration confirming where I was staying . I know a couple of people who got a licence on a tourist visa . The 1st licence lasts for one year only ,you cannot renew it until the year is up  after that they are renewable every 5/6 years and cost about 600 baht 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, starfarm said:

Why don't you get an international drivers licence?

He already explained why he wants a Thai license, you just have to read ?

As Ubonjoe said already, depends on the immigration office at Samui, so you can hope that somebody from Samui looks inside this thread or you can call them and ask directly

Edited by jackdd

Lot of wrong or half right answers.

You go to immigration to get a letter of recidency. You can take or get a license on a tourist visa. For visas that does not initiate from a Non O(a year) you get like some here say 2 years consecutive. Can be renewed withing the 3rd year, but not before 2 years have expired. Should you have a long stay visa on renewal they would give you a 5 year visa.

I would think bringing your booking with a guesthouse or hotel would suffice, but it could be less lenient than before.. I know one guy who said he lived over 7/11. That was ok and he had no papers. This is some time ago.

I dont know what you mean with a UK license.. , boat.., motorbike.. light motorbike.., car.. truck..18 wheeler.. Snowmobile? Joking.. is it car or motorbike? if it is a motorbike it can be converted and no tests are required exept maybe reaction test and watching a 45 minutes safety video. To convert it you go to your embassy or consulate and they verify that its not a photocopy from a shop in Bangkok or Hong Kong.Basicly that it is real. If the license you have is for car.. Take and convert that too as it is cheap and easy. However.. If you have to take the motorbike and do not have it in UK you have to drive and take a written(computer) test also.. Multiple choice test.

Regards.

44 minutes ago, starfarm said:

Could be reasons.. From my country of origin it is only valid 3 months. Waste of money really unless you only are going to use it once in your life.

Cheers - my UK licence has: car, unrestricted motorbike, rigid truck and articulated truck. However I have zero interest in driving a truck in thailand (or the UK for that matter). And only really want the motorbike licence. 

So to confirm: I need to get a booking from my accommodation (or do they issue a letter for this?) and then go to the immigration office to get a certificate. But some immigration offices are not too keen on giving these out. 

3 hours ago, starfarm said:

Not heard of international drivers license.

However he did say he has a IDP (International Drivers Permit).

I have one (IDP) from the US that I must renew every year. I use it in Thailand for both car and motorbike.

Not sure what the requirements are in Vietnam.

LeoTex

1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

Not heard of international drivers license.

However he did say he has a IDP (International Drivers Permit).

I have one (IDP) from the US that I must renew every year. I use it in Thailand for both car and motorbike.

LeoTex

If you are using it continually for a year that is in fact illegal in Thailand. Officially it can only be used for 3 months then you should get a Thai licence.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you are using it continually for a year that is in fact illegal in Thailand. Officially it can only be used for 3 months then you should get a Thai licence.

That's what many people say, but nobody could provide an official source for this claim yet, if you have one post it please. Currently it seems that you can use it up to a year (then it expires)

Edited by jackdd

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

He already explained why he wants a Thai license, you just have to read ?

As Ubonjoe said already, depends on the immigration office at Samui, so you can hope that somebody from Samui looks inside this thread or you can call them and ask directly

My understanding is that an International Driver Permit is only acceptable (along with your country-issued license) if you are here for under 6 months  (maybe it is 3, but I'm almost positive I read 6). Afterwards, you are expected to have a Thai License.  Not only can you get ticketed, but your insurance coverage is likely to be at jeopardy as well if you violate this. 

BTW, there is no such thing as an international "license" although some dodgy websites try to sell them to unsuspecting people.  All an IDP really is is a translation into English of your home country's driver's license.  It, by itself, carries no legal weight at all.

In practice, I've heard that even if you do present an IDP when stopped, and under the 6 (or 3) month timeframe, you can still be ticketed for not having a proper license (police discretion) and you have to go to the police station if you want to sort it out.  Granted, I don't know this from personal experience but I have heard that from multiple sources, and considering how things work in Thailand, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

My understanding is that they care nothing about my UK licence, nor my IDP. However if I have a valid licence from a country in Asean country I'm good to go. 

To be totally honest - the legality of being stopped is not a concern for me. I can afford the relatively small roadside 'fine'. It's more if I fell of a bike and needed my travel insuracne to pay out. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

My understanding is that an International Driver Permit is only acceptable (along with your country-issued license) if you are here for under 6 months  (maybe it is 3, but I'm almost positive I read 6). Afterwards, you are expected to have a Thai License.  Not only can you get ticketed, but your insurance coverage is likely to be at jeopardy as well if you violate this.

See my post above:

52 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's what many people say, but nobody could provide an official source for this claim yet, if you have one post it please. Currently it seems that you can use it up to a year (then it expires)

16 minutes ago, sammym said:

My understanding is that they care nothing about my UK licence, nor my IDP. However if I have a valid licence from a country in Asean country I'm good to go. 

To be totally honest - the legality of being stopped is not a concern for me. I can afford the relatively small roadside 'fine'. It's more if I fell of a bike and needed my travel insuracne to pay out. 

The problem with UK (and several other countries) driving licenses in Vietnam is similar to the problem that for example German (and several other countiers) driving license holders have in Thailand: There are 2 IDP conventions, and many countries only signed (or ratified) one of them. The IDP is only valid if the country that issued the IDP and the country in which you are using it both signed the same convention.

The UK issues an IDP based on the convention from 1949, which Vietnam never signed (they signed the one from 1968, so for example a German IDP is valid there), so the UK IDP is not valid in Vietnam.

Edited by jackdd

I come from the U.K. & spend 6 months of the year in Thailand on a multi-entry tourist visa. Decided to get my Thai bike & car licenses as a belt & braces approach to driving in Thailand.

As has been said, all you need is a letter from immigration ( one for each license ), & a medical certificate. It took  me 2 days at the local DLT to take the tests & get the licenses. Again, as has been said, initially they are valid for 2 years after which you upgrade to a 5 year by just doing the sight/reaction tests again.

16 minutes ago, AD3Andy said:

I come from the U.K. & spend 6 months of the year in Thailand on a multi-entry tourist visa. Decided to get my Thai bike & car licenses as a belt & braces approach to driving in Thailand.

As has been said, all you need is a letter from immigration ( one for each license ), & a medical certificate. It took  me 2 days at the local DLT to take the tests & get the licenses. Again, as has been said, initially they are valid for 2 years after which you upgrade to a 5 year by just doing the sight/reaction tests again.

One more point to bear in mind is that the initial 2 year licence in Thailand is a temporary licence and is not recognised in many counties outside Thailand.

See top section of attached.

2018-05-28 21.51.05.png

Edited by overherebc

39 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No, I am certain it is either 3 months or 6 months, if you are here on a tourist visa.  If you are here with any other type of visa I think the Thai license is mandatory with no grace period.  I'm sure somebody on TVF stated this from an official or very reliable source.  Do a search; I'm sure I ran across it here on TVF.

Getting a ticket isn't a big deal in itself since the fine is so small (500 baht, I think).  The real concern has to do with insurance, and not just your own traveler's insurance but liability coverage as well.  If someone else was hurt in the accident, that could be a real unhappy day for the "improperly" licensed person ?

3 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

No, I am certain it is either 3 months or 6 months, if you are here on a tourist visa.  If you are here with any other type of visa I think the Thai license is mandatory with no grace period.  I'm sure somebody on TVF stated this from an official or very reliable source.  Do a search; I'm sure I ran across it here on TVF.

Getting a ticket isn't a big deal in itself since the fine is so small (500 baht, I think).  The real concern has to do with insurance, and not just your own traveler's insurance but liability coverage as well.  If someone else was hurt in the accident, that could be a real unhappy day for the "improperly" licensed person ?

While your International License is valid for 1 year, Thai law states that you can only drive on one here for 3 months after which you need a Thai license (although I can't imagine it ever being enforced).

Because of the perils of driving in these parts, I've put the truck & bike in my name, the insurances in my name & I've got the Thai licenses. Not an easy task on a tourist visa but far from impossible. Originally I bougt the truck & bike in the Thai G/friends name but I admit that was just laziness on my part. As a westerner I can't see what more you can do to protect yourself.

Just now, AD3Andy said:

Thai law states that you can only drive on one here for 3 months after which you need a Thai license

I'm still waiting for somebody to post a source for this claim, can you?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

True you can only use it for 3 months. As he says he comes 2 or 3 times a year. There is nothing stopping him getting a new one each time he comes. Each one lasting 3 months of use. Cost £5 (or 250Baht) per permit.

8 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

True you can only use it for 3 months. As he says he comes 2 or 3 times a year. There is nothing stopping him getting a new one each time he comes. Each one lasting 3 months of use. Cost £5 (or 250Baht) per permit.

Thai licences for car and motorbike cost about 250 baht as well. 125 baht ( ish ) each.

Long time since I got mine so cant remember exactly.

I live in Ratchaburi and obtained my Thai drivers licence at the beginning of April 2018.

CoR issued by Ratchaburi Immigration, fee free.

Medical Certificate from local doctor, ฿120

Issued licence, valid for 2 years, ฿205

It took 2 days, CoR and medical day one and licenced issued day two.

That was my experience, very easy and straight forward.

Edited by ozfarang

So - to ask a really simple question. 

To get this residency certificate can I simply rock up with my booking for a hotel and ask for one? 

I don't mind paying a 'fee' but can't be doing with wasting multiple hours of my holiday. 

With regards to medical certificate. I'm assuming any hospital/clinic can offer this? Again I'm willing to pay 'premium' for a quick service whilst knowing I'm in a tourist location. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2018 at 12:56 AM, sammym said:

So - to ask a really simple question. 

To get this residency certificate can I simply rock up with my booking for a hotel and ask for one? 

I don't mind paying a 'fee' but can't be doing with wasting multiple hours of my holiday. 

With regards to medical certificate. I'm assuming any hospital/clinic can offer this? Again I'm willing to pay 'premium' for a quick service whilst knowing I'm in a tourist location. 

I have the same question... I will have a tourist visa and a booking. Would that be enough?