Which Samui Bars Do All The Uk Expats Hang Out?

I've not been here long but imo you cant beat the Elephant and Castle.. everyone sits around the bar and chats shit - proper pub. wicked pies too.

I am getting the :o credit/blame :D for this post by the lads at the elephant and castle and my protestations of innocence are treated with derision.I have said that i wish i could take credit for it as it sums the place up quite nicely.So come on,don't be shy ,confess your true identity :D ,and i might even buy you a drink(at the Elephant obviously).

welcome to thai visa....l and w......reckon ill try one of ya pies soon! :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not been here long but imo you cant beat the Elephant and Castle.. everyone sits around the bar and chats shit - proper pub. wicked pies too.

I am getting the :o credit/blame :D for this post by the lads at the elephant and castle and my protestations of innocence are treated with derision.I have said that i wish i could take credit for it as it sums the place up quite nicely.So come on,don't be shy ,confess your true identity :D ,and i might even buy you a drink(at the Elephant obviously).

Hey Mark/John. Let me help you out fellas. That means know one believes him.

Toad in the hole. Thats the boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me help YOU out.I think you mean No one believes me. :D

Let me help YOU out.I think you mean No one believes me. :bah:

:D

E&C - Great roast on Sundays.

Ting Tong - Never experienced 'time share' types, always had a good time there. Also good food.

Sloaneys (Bang Rak) - Hasn't been mentioned in this thread, great pub cool landlord. I have had many a good time there!

Remember, our opinions are based on our experiences, if you've had a good time there you'll say, 'Hey, cool place!' So lighten up folks!

Yeh, Meatgrowler you very naughty boy. May i suggest you have a 15 year holiday before moving over. Tsk. The nerve of posting such a question. Tsk. Very uncool man.

sob ,sob....i am doomed,a 15 year reconisence holiday is required i suppose{my 2 month yearly stay in our house just aint enough}

,and then banished to drinkin with the aussies, still anything would be better than associating with samui jenstral,and her strangeness! :D

WHERE ARE YOU NOW, BY THE WAY, HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU? NOT IT'S QUIET, HOW NICE :o

Yeh, Meatgrowler you very naughty boy. May i suggest you have a 15 year holiday before moving over. Tsk. The nerve of posting such a question. Tsk. Very uncool man.

sob ,sob....i am doomed,a 15 year reconisence holiday is required i suppose{my 2 month yearly stay in our house just aint enough}

,and then banished to drinkin with the aussies, still anything would be better than associating with samui jenstral,and her strangeness! :D

WHERE ARE YOU NOW, BY THE WAY, HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU? NOT IT'S QUIET, HOW NICE :o

CoCo Bongos's used to be a cool place to hang out. Mainly Brits but a bit of a mix up. Greatittle local typ boozer on the lake. Its a naff girly bar now - utterly crap.

I enjoy Coco Bongos now - Its one of the only bar's in the area that support local Thai bands - All the rest of the street are doing the exact same so its a nice place to get away from the heavy bass techno BS

CoCo Bongos's used to be a cool place to hang out. Mainly Brits but a bit of a mix up. Greatittle local typ boozer on the lake. Its a naff girly bar now - utterly crap.

I enjoy coco Bongos now - Its one of the only bar's in the area that support local Thai bands - All the rest of the street are doing the exact same so its a nice place to get away from the heavy bass techno BS

Perhaps the OP should refine his search since it is evident he simply wishes to meet up with folk to whom he relates ie blue collar, intemperate, semi literate and unlikely to converse intelligently on issues not connected with base sexual matters or soccer.

Since watering holes catering for his demographic proliferate about the island I am curious as to why he would wish to find alternatives.

Speaking about my own experience, I have to say that finding agreeable venues without the inevitable presence of foul mouthed ,tattooed, shaven headed Brit trash and their deeply unattractive, drunken , lumpy women does represent something of a challenge if hotels at the top end are to be avoided.

Bo Phut offers more than probably any other area however opportunities can be counted on one hand.

Thus is Ko Samui, alas

Gent

What an assuming, pretentious, petulant and pointless post.

Who in Christ's name do you think you are? What the hel_l is the point in jumping on this thread? Actually that is a rhetorical question as i realize there is no point to your post.... you are simply disguising your need to be perceived as 'white collar with style', by making a completely useless post, on a completely harmless thread.

Thankfully, hotels at the top end do not need to be avoided in order to deter conversation with condescending self important people like you. You may be disappointed to learn that the British represent a sizeable portion of the top end hotel demographic. You will not accept this. Your blinkers will not allow it. With said blinkers in mind, I forgive you for thinking that we Brits exist only as shaven headed, tattooed morons who leap from beer bar to beer bar looking for the next cheap Chang happy hour.

Brit trash? Your rather sweeping analysis of our traveling nationals fails to include one key point - vocalizing this opinion at any one of these bars would result in a swift head but and an empty bottle of Singha thrown at you. If this hypothetical situation reaction qualifies for 'Brit Trash' then I offer my full acceptance of this labeling. Bugger it, Ill even tattoo it on my arm. Right up there with the swallows, cobwebs and 'Shaz 4 eva'.

For this very reason, I doubt your views will ever be expressed verbally and you may continue to hide behind your keyboard, suffocating in your white collar, barging from forum to forum declaring a class war that no one cares about.

How dare you say that about my fellow people? I would relish the opportunity for you to say that to me in person.

Edited by StickKettleOn

Gent

Who in Christ's name do you think you are? What the hel_l is the point in jumping on this thread? Actually that is a rhetorical question as i realize there is no point to your post.... you are simply disguising your need to be perceived as 'white collar with style', by making a completely useless post, on a completely harmless thread.

Thankfully, hotels at the top end do not need to be avoided in order to deter conversation with condescending self important people like you. You may be disappointed to learn that the British represent a sizeable portion of the top end hotel demographic. You will not accept this. Your blinkers will not allow it. With said blinkers in mind, I forgive you for thinking that we Brits exist only as shaven headed, tattooed morons who leap from beer bar to beer bar looking for the next cheap Chang happy hour.

Brit trash? Your rather sweeping analysis of our traveling nationals fails to include one key point - vocalizing this opinion at any one of these bars would result in a swift head but and an empty bottle of Singha thrown at you. If this hypothetical situation reaction qualifies for 'Brit Trash' then I offer my full acceptance of this labeling. Bugger it, Ill even tattoo it on my arm. Right up there with the swallows, cobwebs and 'Shaz 4 eva'.

For this very reason, I doubt your views will ever be expressed verbally and you may continue to hide behind your keyboard, suffocating in your white collar, barging from forum to forum declaring a class war that no one cares about.

How dare you say that about my fellow people? I would relish the opportunity for you to say that to me in person.

He was talking about the OP, and has a right to his opinion. If you feel this way, then ignore him. (some few points, were right on)

Jens, I did not notice moderator status under your avatar.

I don’t care which specific individual he was talking about and I don’t need you to try to correct me. If you have an opinion on this matter than I welcome your views - if you’re sole contribution is to moderate may I suggest you apply for a moderator position. Until then, bugger off and leave me alone.

Further more, why should I ignore him? Make your mind up - you just said he has a right to an opinion; I don’t?

I’m sick to bloody death of the stereotypical, blinkered, boring, untrue, doom and gloom posts on this forum. From looming death and disaster owing to the quads; to how our island has degenerated owing to a few bad roads and a little rubbish hear and there; drunken yobs fighting on every street corner and now this <deleted>.... 'Brit Trash'. Another sad post highlighting a minority and portraying it as a majority. I’m sick of this. When are you people going to wake up and see the island for how beautiful it is? Why the constant negative opinions? Why are you all such a bunch of bloody whiners!!!

Gent

Well said man :o ,

I am beginning to believe that there is hope for you yet.You certainly put that pompous prat in his place............Well done!!!

Rather think you have proved my point somewhat.

The inability of the low end Brit trash to express themselves in a manner other than the pugilistic is well attested and requires little elaboration from me. However, your confused and muddled post misses the point I thought I had made clear to any one with the meanest of intelligence.

The lower end of British society, distinguished by their poor education, appalling manners, sartorial inelegance and general stupidity, sadly travels extensively in a way not witnessed in other developed societies. I am not against the Brits per se, it's just that their dross will not confine themselves to the Spanish holiday slums but choose to infest Thailand. That they are to be encountered in almost any bar in Samui, at any time, is simply a sad fact of life which I was seeking to highlight in my post. Of course one could sequester oneself in a nice hotel bar immune from their company but in truth I am not a great fan of hotel bars which often lack character particularly in Thai resorts. I do however like pubs which often afford the opportunity of chance, stimulating conversation with folk from other walks of life and countries. Unfortunately, deriving such pleasure where the Brit lower end congregates is as likely as finding intelligent life on the Moon.

Tropical Murphys is perhaps a good example. Potentially, this could be a great venue but the serried ranks of the uncouth fat bellied, shirtless,sweating British dross that fetches up from 2000 hrs onwards is quite simply too much for any civilised person to bear.

Bo Phut is far, far better than Chaweng but even there the tenor of one's life can be disturbed at almost any venue by the inevitable foulmouthed boor. Still, I have spent many a pleasant night cloistered in the Billabong, the Frog and Gecko and at the bar at Villa Santi and can recommend them provided of course the company excludes the drossy element.

Toodle pip.

As someone planning to move to Samui and currently living in one of the top British Stag-Easy Jet desinations in Europe, I'd like to know more. I have more than a few Brit firends, all local expats and even a few who are regular visitors to Tallinn (and all dislike the Stags). Are Stag parties an issue on Samui? I always thought it interesting that 15 lads could all get off work at the same time to come here for several days let alone Thailand (and it's a lot more expensive flying to Thailand). The Stags are a major contributor for the loss of charm in the Baltic capitals. I gather from Gent's post that the "lower class" visitors are normally couples? That shouldn't be all that bad, right?

By moving to Samui, would I be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?? Or from one frying pan to another? Or it's really not that bad?

Excuse me? You have made no further point, as you claim. I reiterate that you did not make one in your initial post. Wrongly, foolishly without ponder or consideration you have lambasted British tourists as pond life. Thats it, and thats all. No reason, no prelude, no justification - an unstable, ignorant assault on the British residents and tourists of koh Samui.

>>However, you’re confused and muddled post misses the point I thought I had made clear to any one with the meanest of intelligence

'You are missing my point'. How often we hear these words spoken by someone who, upon realizing they are not actually making a point, use this line as a get out of jail card. Again, you did not make a point. The OP made a humble request for information, seeking fellow countrymen to have a beer with. An old post hijacked by a sad individual with an apparent chip on his shoulder, expressing a personal dislike of British people.

Your initial post would have had no less glamour had you simply wrote "I don’t like British people. They are all scum". Feel free to colour this ignorant opinion in long, windy narrative but the fact remains, this is your sole point.

Please do not try to evade the fact that there is no substance to your initial post, other than this; you don’t like British people. All other comments in your post are stereotypical, and not worthy of respect or assesment in a last gasp qualification in your follow up post.

Let’s just leave it at this; your sole point here is that a pre-requisit for being a British tourist in ko Samui is to behave badly, offer no stimulating conversation, and generally piss anyone off within 100 yards.

I would dare to suggest that the 'inevitable foulmouthed bore' you have identified in we Brits, could also be said of the irritating pub bore who has an opinion on everything with no audience, furnishing humorless opinions on anyone foolish enough to say 'Hello mate, avin a good night eh?'

And with this in mind, I need not find reasons why you may sometimes drink alone in hotel bars. The bars with all the real people, the characters; wont have you.

Edited by StickKettleOn

Oh for heaven's sake get a grip, Kettles.

I was not referring to the entire British community nor was I describing all of British society but simply the lower end which, thanks to messrs Bliar and Clown, is burgeoning and spreading its tentacles ever further.

Incidentally, I am British which is how I can speak with such authority.

The gentleman from Estonia has my sympathy as indeed do his counterparts in Vilnius, Prague,Budapest and Riga, all places where the lumpen drunken British yobs frequent in the quaint belief that they are all just having a good time whereas most observers see the reality which is infinitely more painful. But that's the whole point really, most of the British lower end have absolutely no insight into their loutish behaviour which they evidently believe is quite normal.

I'm not surprised my post has been misunderstood by a significant minority in this forum since they may well be seized of the disability afflicting their counterparts.

On a final note, a boor, Kettles, is not the same as a bore. It means something entirely different and was not a typo on my part which I assume you think I made.

Toodle pip.

You may Have the mod.'s job, and again I DON'T want it! But really now, you Must have a check spell=Use it.....PLEASE, it's you language. I got chewed out and got 2 weeks vacation for spelling colour, color....what's this? (NOT ON THIS THREAD) And I don't remember getting on you for your spelling (that was mr. the gent!)

Edited by SamuiJens

>>But really now, you Must have a check spell

Jenstral, my little West Samui hobbit. You post the following;

>>What are cirles?

And then follow up with;

>>And I don't remember getting on you for your spelling (that was mr. the gent!)

In a few hours, you seem to have forgotten that your current endeavor is to follow me around, correcting me on spelling. If you would like other examples, there are many for me to refer to, ok?

Spelling?

Why, Jens, why? Do you think I give a flying fuc_k? One reason Jens why I should care about my spelling on an anonymous forum?

Honestly Jens, have you nothing better to do than pull me up on my spelling? For anyone who cares to review the wise words of Jens in all posts, the usual theme is a single line diatribe full of smiley’s and caps. Spelling? I may be full of shit, but at the very least, I have a voice and have something to express.

Its time you used your voice O'Jenstral, instead of kissing arse, presenting yourself as a substitute mod and confusing people with utterly confusing comments.

You work on your brain matter, and I will work on spell check. Deal?

Edited by StickKettleOn

>>But really now, you Must have a check spell

Jenstral, my little West Samui hobbit. You post the following;

>>What are cirles?

And then follow up with;

>>And I don't remember getting on you for your spelling (that was mr. the gent!)

In a few hours, you seem to have forgotten that your current endeavor is to follow me around, correcting me on spelling. If you would like other examples, there are many for me to refer to, ok?

Spelling?

Why, Jens, why? Do you think I give a flying fuc_k? One reason Jens why I should care about my spelling on an anonymous forum?

Honestly Jens, have you nothing better to do than pull me up on my spelling? For anyone who cares to review the wise words of Jens in all posts, the usual theme is a single line diatribe full of smiley’s and caps. Spelling? I may be full of shit, but at the very least, I have a voice and have something to express.

Its time you used your voice O'Jenstral, instead of kissing arse, presenting yourself as a substitute mod and confusing people with utterly confusing comments.

You work on your brain matter, and I will work on spell check. Deal?

yippee,im allowed to voice my opinions again...all be it with my wings clipped and a scalding....who cares big flares!!!