Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

By Dan Cheeseman 

english-fry-up.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Now this blog runs a very real risk of turning into a series of rambles, you see when you mention Pattaya this is often what happens. It is one of those areas that truly defines a love-hate relationship and there are reasons for this.

I live in Pattaya a whopping 9,624km from where I used to work and live in London. So much distance but yet my social network news feeds are more likely to be filled with expat debates on where to get the best English fry up in town than where to eat the best Som Tam. If any of you have been to Spain you will know just how beautiful a country it is, yet if you stumble into the tourist retreat of Benidorm it is, in my humble opinion, horrendous.

You are more likely to see a greasy spoon English cafe than a Spanish tapas bar. You can draw parallels between Benidorm and Pattaya. When I put this spin on Pattaya I cannot help but ask myself how the hell I have tolerated this city, let alone lived here for over a decade.

But then I stop and think again and suddenly I love Pattaya again. Now, this blog is not for me to beat the drum on all the restaurants and attractions in the city, it is after all a tourist resort, nor is it to talk about the year round sunshine and access to nearby Bangkok, airport and islands. We all know about this, maybe we don’t always appreciate it, but we do know about it.

My question is what causes such a misunderstanding on the city. I think the answer comes down to the expats and Thais living in the region. It is a mixed bag of the good, the bad and the very ugly, and unfortunately the good are the minority.

British Fry Up as much a symbol of Pattaya as it is in Benidorm

What encapsulates Pattaya for me is the 99 baht breakfast debate that rumbles on the social networks, it is hot topic everyday, every month. Koh Larn, Koh Samet, Koh Chang all within easy reach of Pattaya, so why do I never hear debate on the social networks about where is the best places to stay, what can you do on the islands and the likes; no my feeds are filled with debate on which venue serves the best sausage or why are they so tight on how many baked beans they serve, or maybe they are not even Heinz? It beggars belief. Where else in the world would there be such debate? London, Paris, New York maybe a Dubai, of course not. You know where? And there we are back to the Benidorm again. I am quite sure they share such life changing discussion.

It is examples like this that cloud the appreciation for Pattaya. I am always torn between relocating to Bangkok for business, but when you review Pattaya it ticks so many boxes and that includes for my family too. It is the small things that can go under the radar too. Grocery shopping for example is excellent for expats from choices such as Big C Extra, Foodland to Villa Supermarket. 

Full story:  https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/05/29/british-fry-up-pattaya/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2018-05-29

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

"Grocery shopping for example is excellent for expats from choices such as Big C Extra, Foodland to Villa Supermarket."

Strange comment when you have real and much more affordable expat choices such as Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I wonder if other nationalities are so concerned about finding what they left behind when they emigrate? Somehow I doubt it! Brits are a weird lot!

Pattaya is full of Russian, Korean and Chinese restaurants catering to their countrymen on holiday. 

''Where else in the world would there be such debate? London, Paris, New York maybe a Dubai, of course not''

Like you say, of course not, as those people living in those cities actually have lifes, instead of discussing the price of a fry up on 'social media news feeds'

What a day to be alive!

Edited by Pat in Pattaya
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, poanoi said:

in case this isnt some sort of joke i dont get:

in 13 years i have never heard of Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart

Not a joke, you really need to get out more!!

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, poanoi said:

that dish is only representative of english i think,

i eat neither beans nor sausage

let me know if you are going to try one....I,ll gladly take the beans and sausage from you...p.s. how bout the fried bread also :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Where is Hua Yai corner store?....I guess Hua Yai but where from Suk

Take the Huay Yai road from Sukhumvit all the way past Wat Huay Yai, about 200m further on your right, more or less opposite the K9 turn off.

Edited by LennyW
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Also Russians, Indians and Chinese working in Pattaya, all have their own outlets for goodies from home.

perhaps but I have never known any nationality so obsessed with their previous home as the Brits

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

''Where else in the world would there be such debate? London, Paris, New York maybe a Dubai, of course not''

Like you say, of course not, as those people living in those cities actually have lifes, instead of discussing the price of a fry up on 'social media news feeds'

What a day to be alive!

Pat

And don,t let anyone twist your arm to reply to pointless posts....:whistling:

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Yee Haw!  In Murica, we might call that a "gutt buster"!  Looks great.... for 2 people!  ?

No, in the UK this is, strictly speaking, a one man "fat-bastard" brekkie. If you can polish it off in less than an hour you get it for free!

Plus a free dessert!!??

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Dan is English and the story is about English breakfasts.

Didn't you read the headline?  

"western expat" he does not speak for all of us! 

• Like 2