British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

webfact

In answering your question. YES.

I would not be surprised it there were some buses left here after Viet Nam, nor would I be surprised if MCI or GMC at some point were selling into Thailand, but there’s no way anyone is shipping warn out old buses over here, swapping the drives and reworking the cabin and putting them into service.

4 hours ago, one baht said:

l wear the compression socks now without fail ,something l wasn't aware of up until

4 years ago when a doctor suggested it would be a good ldea and

explained about Deep Vein Thrombosis and how the compression socks can greatly reduce

the risk of DVT

Did you buy then in Thailand? Would like to buy some as I travel overseas for work regularly. I've seen them on Lazada but would prefer to buy them from a shop if possible. 

Did you buy then in Thailand? Would like to buy some as I travel overseas for work regularly. I've seen them on Lazada but would prefer to buy them from a shop if possible. 

I bought two pair of “Miracle Copper” compression socks on Lazada and liked them. Bought 10 more pair last time I was in the US. I think they’re great.

Only bummer is they call for gentle wash, air dry.

4 hours ago, mekko said:

Please tell me it wasn't a thai hospital exclusively that made this diagnosis. I know of friends to be told they had cancer only for another hospital to say it's not - it wasn't (as time has proven).  Second opinions back home required imo

And of course misdiagnosis only occurs in Thailand

Saw the figures some time ago about the number of people who die in UK hospitals from preventable causes

Drs are only human and make mistakes especially in Emergency Depts when they have been working long hours

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

Canhappen anywhere.

But as you can move around easily in a train, and the route is possible by train instead by bus, take the train.

Also, in Thailand, significantly less chances of death or injury in a road accident.....especially on a night bus.

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, a lot more tourists in Thailand suffer from bus-riding related blood clots than are injured on motorcycles...

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, a lot more tourists in Thailand suffer from bus-riding related blood clots than are injured on motorcycles...

And your source for this information is?

I took the night bus from Khon Kaen to Phuket, VIP seat that reclined a few years ago.  But still, that was a miserable ride.  Now at 61 I won't do anything like that again.  I had flown in and out of Phuket a few times and thought it would be interesting to "drive" in. 

1 hour ago, bapoboy said:

It seems like brits In  general are very unhealthy and weak, they make up the majority of incidents in Thailand.

So she was sittimg on a bus 14 hours straight? Strange, last time I took that bus, the bus stopped for 10 minutes every 4 hours+ At the immigration.

1. It did not shocked me at all it was a Brit, world champions in moaning, drinking and fighting.

2. If she had trouble with her health, don’t be <deleted> stupid travel arround the world, get your treatment In your home country, don’t risk your life abroad.

So British people are weak, yet world champions at fighting....?

:laugh:

• Haha 2

The article is a little confusing. It says it was a stroke caused by a DVT clot moving. Then it says the hospital diagnosis was a brain bleed. Both are strokes but the treatment is exactly the opposite. Taking aspirin when you have a clot will potentially save you. When you have a brain bleed it will certainly kill you.

• Like 1

When you take a bus to somewhere in thailand he always make a stop at a gas station, so you have time to walk a litle and buy some food or drink.  and 'next' time, you can fly also...

Just now, gerritkaew said:

When you take a bus to somewhere in thailand he always make a stop at a gas station, so you have time to walk a litle and buy some food or drink.  and 'next' time, you can fly also...

Thank -you for your helpful post

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gerritkaew said:

Not quite always, at least in my experience. Nakhonchair omits this on many journeys under a certain threshold - I think it might be 7hrs - there no gas stop to disembark from BKK to Surin for example, the 999 orange/blue bus there's a long gas stop but always slower and a worse experience in every respect. Sombat from south can go several hours with the only stop a pickup location like HH where no passengers disembark.   You can have a little stretch in the aisle though if you're not against the window. I've never felt DVT on these buses though as unless your on row 1 on a single decker on a 999 bus your legroom is usually fine - row 1 on single decker 999 has the same distance from bulkhead to seat, as seat to seat on other rows, except nowhere to slide your legs under - thai design(tm), book the next bus if the only rows as the first row or last row (the stinky toilet - and 999 they ming). Can you buy aspirin here? How much? dont think i've seen it in 7/11

Edited by mekko

Where to start with this genius ???....  

The lack of intelligent articulation clearly outlines for many of us the level of education lending itself to such fundamentally and moronically flawed logic.

Yes, everyone knows that while they are great moaners, Brits are lousy at fighting and drinking...

(just kidding)

4 hours ago, Phuket321 said:

I'm sorry but with low cost carriers like AirAsia charging about 2,000 bahts to fly from Cambodia to BKK I'm not sure why you would want to be cramped with a coach load of smelly people.

Smelly people we experience everywhere. You may find the places they can be found in some other thread on TVF. Yea, smelly people exists outside of buses too.

3 hours ago, manarak said:

it's sad that for the gutter press it's mandatory to mention "Thailand" in the headline any chance they can get away with just to garner some interest from voyeurs.

In school, I learnt that a press article's title should be like a mini-summary of the whole text, to convey the most important point.

The gutter press apparently has other uses for the title, it serves to improve sales by stuffing as many attention-grabbing keywords in, and it doesn't matter if they aren't directly relevant to the story.

it's also bordering on defamation, somehow the title suggests the fact that the bus drove in Thailand is somehow relevant to the poor woman having a stroke due to her heart condition and not enough movement.

simply disgusting reporting by the "scottish sun"

simply disgusting reporting by the "scottish sun"

... and the herd that follows its story blindly.

• Like 1

So many posts about strokes and dvt.

This one thing is important to know:

If you have symptoms which could be  a stroke (for instance weakness of one side of the body, problems speaking, loss of vision, problems to walk - I am not talking of being drunk ?

hurry  (or let you take quickly ) to the next good standard hospital (with a CT Scanner and  with a stroke unit if possible)

Why?

There is a so called 4 hour window. If a stroke is treated within these 4 hours there is a good chance for full and swift recovery by dissolving the clot.

If you are late you might not recover or it will take much longer. May be that woman got that kind of treatment.

Who is at risk? Among others people   who are  bedridden because of an injury or operation. People with arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) Women on the pill. 

DVT is not a risk for a stroke (if there isn't) that persisting whole in the heart - which is rare.

But DVT is a risk for a deadly pulmonary embolism. 

Edited by sweatalot

My first trip to Thailand from the states on the ride home I took two sleeping pills . Slept most of the flight . Midway to the US I felt like I had a cramp in my leg.. Ask the stewardess for ice . By the time I got home the pain was pretty bad . Next morning I went to work hardly able to walk . Went to my doctor they sent me for a ultra sound . They said no clot seen . I took the device from the tech and put it over the spot . Then they saw it . Stubborn and stupid I refused to be admitted . Finally doctor agreed to give me a script for heparin and I promised to stay immobile.  Nurse came everyday check my blood . 2 weeks on the couch being waited on . I was very lucky . Now I m on warfarin daily . Never had an issue since . But I was very lucky . Now if I fly I get up every hour and walk and drink lots of water . DVT is a silent killer .

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

The article is a little confusing. It says it was a stroke caused by a DVT clot moving. Then it says the hospital diagnosis was a brain bleed. Both are strokes but the treatment is exactly the opposite. Taking aspirin when you have a clot will potentially save you. When you have a brain bleed it will certainly kill you.

Yes a little confusing . I would assume the clot broke and she had blockage in the brain that caused a stroke ..