W10 installation, quick and legit.

NanLaew

My i5 desktop, currently running 64-bit W7  is being short-listed for my first full-on Windows 10 immersion.

What's the most expeditious way to get a legal and activated version of W10 on this machine and what version is recommended?

Thanks!

NL

The most expeditious way would be to download it from Microsoft, assuming you are ok installing the download yourself. You can do that here:

https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/store/b/windows?icid=TopNavWindows

Personally, when it comes to operating systems I prefer to buy a physical product from someone like JIB:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/product_list/3/332

1,500 baht cheaper and you have a physical product to deal with, which I always fins easier. JIB are very quick with their dispatch.

Shortlisted by whom?

If by Microsoft, then there is no need to buy a licence, but just to back up your data and allow it to go forward with the upgrade.

For all accounts and purposes 'upgrades' from Windows 7 are still working, so again no need to purchase another licence.

Windows 10 Pro as a whole is recommended over Home, especially as it supposedly allows you to block Feature Updates until you are ready to install them;

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3232632/microsoft-windows/how-to-block-windows-10-april-2018-update-from-installing.html

Personally, I would never allow Microsoft to control the 'upgrade' process on any machine of mine. My choice would be to back up it's current activation and run a clean install of Windows 10 to perhaps a SSD boot drive.

Either way, no need to buy a further licence. If you are running genuine Windows 7, you should be able to move to 10 for free.

More details about your machine. Is it brand name or custom made? Which edition of Windows 7? CoA sticker on machine? If custom made, which Motherboard exactly?

Edited by KneeDeep

47 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The most expeditious way would be to download it from Microsoft, assuming you are ok installing the download yourself. You can do that here:

https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/store/b/windows?icid=TopNavWindows

Personally, when it comes to operating systems I prefer to buy a physical product from someone like JIB:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/product_list/3/332

1,500 baht cheaper and you have a physical product to deal with, which I always fins easier. JIB are very quick with their dispatch.

Does that download give one the .iso which can be used to make media?

I would mount the .iso on a virtual BD-ROM drive and install from there?

12 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Shortlisted by whom?

If by Microsoft, then there is no need to buy a licence, but just to back up your data and allow it to go forward with the upgrade.

For all accounts and purposes 'upgrades' from Windows 7 are still working, so again no need to purchase another licence.

Windows 10 Pro as a whole is recommended over Home, especially as it supposedly allows you to block Feature Updates until you are ready to install them;

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3232632/microsoft-windows/how-to-block-windows-10-april-2018-update-from-installing.html

Personally, I would never allow Microsoft to control the 'upgrade' process on any machine of mine. My choice would be to back up it's current activation and run a clean install of Windows 10 to perhaps a SSD boot drive.

Either way, no need to buy a further licence. If you are running genuine Windows 7, you should be able to move to 10 for free.

More details about your machine. Is it brand name or custom made? Which edition of Windows 7? CoA sticker on machine? If custom made, which Motherboard exactly?

Shortlisted by me.

Bought and paid for and activated and registered W7 Pro installed on an ASUS µATX home build. It's only 32-bit W7 actually, the other home-build has the 64-bit W7 on it and no plans to tart that one up.

Not sure how the automatic migration to W10 is triggered in my current config but if possible, it sounds a bit like playing the 'safety driver' in an Uber... and we all know how that goes.

So, if I do the W10 install all by myself, will MS give me the option for a free and full activation based on my having the legal W7 already?

Agree in trying to make it all hands-on by me (as much as I can).

So first of all, let's get the media to hand.

You have two options; 

One is to use Microsoft's tool to create the installation media; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The second is to download the image directly; https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x64.iso?t=0ecfe4a9-6242-4acf-aaaf-eed3e826d965&e=1527669872&h=c9a422da66e46dcddc21571f530f40bd

I'll let you get on with that now.

I don't remember if the tool allows you to choose 64 bit if running it from a 32 bit machine, so perhaps better to use my direct download to get the 64 bit media.

How much RAM is installed to the 32 bit machine?

Have you considered getting an SSD boot drive for this machine? Then you can possibly install Windows 10 to the SSD and leave the HDD in as storage.

14 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I don't remember if the tool allows you to choose 64 bit if running it from a 32 bit machine, so perhaps better to use my direct download to get the 64 bit media.

How much RAM is installed to the 32 bit machine?

Have you considered getting an SSD boot drive for this machine? Then you can possibly install Windows 10 to the SSD and leave the HDD in as storage.

There's enough RAM.

The small SSD for the o/s is part of the plan as I have a spare one left over from a laptop upgrade.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's enough RAM.

The small SSD for the o/s is part of the plan as I have a spare one left over from a laptop upgrade.

They supposedly shut the door to using your Windows 7 product key to upgrade to Windows 10 on the 1st of May this year. I'm not so sure about that.

You'll be testing that. You might need to do a telephone activation

13 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

They supposedly shut the door to using your Windows 7 product key to upgrade to Windows 10 on the 1st of May this year. I'm not so sure about that.

You'll be testing that. You might need to do a telephone activation

I guess that serves me right for procrastinating. Last time I looked, they were asking US$119 for Home and (maybe) US$199 for Pro. That sound about right?

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I guess that serves me right for procrastinating. Last time I looked, they were asking US$119 for Home and (maybe) US$199 for Pro. That sound about right?

It's unlikely you'll need to purchase at any rate. If the first two options fail;

Product key entry or back up of activation and reapplication.

There is another option of updating the firmware of your motherboard(hence needing the exact model number and revision)

To back up current activation;

Once you've downloaded the 64 bit image from my link, use the Windows 7 image burner to crate installation media on DVD;

dd451080.ISOburn.jpg.jpg

Once created, pop it into your machine and navigate to the Sources folder, go inside and copy the gatherosstate.exe file to your Desktop screen.

Right click on the gatherosstate.exe file that is on your Desktop screen, and choose Run as administrator from the dropdown menu. This will create a GenuineTicket.xml file on your desktop screen.

Copy the GenuineTicket.xml file elsewhere. That is your activation backed up.

6 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I forget! I'm not the most tech savvy person, and I managed to get it working.

I guess that why you paid for Windows 10 when Microsoft are giving it away.

If it was a new machine bought in Thailand with no OS, then perhaps. But if for an upgrade, there is usually no need to pay.

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

If it was a new machine bought in Thailand with no OS, then perhaps.

It was. The company I work for buys all their machines like that. They then buy windows separately from the cheapest vendor.

Followed PIB's posts a while back could not be bothered with the free upgrade route as I wanted a clean start.

Purchased SSD
Purchased Win 10 pro key off Ebay $8
Backed up old hard drive
Download Win 10 from Msoft to USB stick
Fit SSD make boot drive
Install Win 10
Leave for few days to sort itself with drivers and stuff

Boom like a new PC with super boot 

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

It was. The company I work for buys all their machines like that. They then buy windows separately from the cheapest vendor.

Makes sense then.

One doesn't want to buy a US$8 key off eBay for a company machine. Doesn't go down well with the auditors. ?

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Shortlisted by whom?

I think it's only possible with W 7 Ultimate and it has to show the Windows watermark. OP, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please see: https://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-right-now/

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

So first of all, let's get the media to hand.

You have two options; 

One is to use Microsoft's tool to create the installation media; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The second is to download the image directly; https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x64.iso?t=0ecfe4a9-6242-4acf-aaaf-eed3e826d965&e=1527669872&h=c9a422da66e46dcddc21571f530f40bd

I'll let you get on with that now.

The second link wouldn't work, because the OP had got the 32/86 version of OS> 

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I think it's only possible with W 7 Ultimate and it has to show the Windows watermark. OP, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please see: https://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-right-now/

I'm not sure why you are quoting my post.

Windows 7 Ultimate has nothing to do with it and I have no idea as to what you might be referring to as a watermark.

In addition the article to which you linked is three years old and refers to an upgrade and not a clean install.

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The second link wouldn't work, because the OP had got the 32/86 version of OS> 

It will work. 

His Windows 7 Professional key doesn't discriminate between 32 bit and 64 bit.

You 

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

It will work. 

You 

Okay, I believe you. I recall a similar problem that finally worked well. I'm in the middle of upgrading two old school computers running W 7, unfortunately, is the internet so lousy that the installation always stops before I can have my 100 % of W 10 set up.

"My friend" even upgraded a fishy W 7 installation from a Thai computer shop for 250 baht.

The watermark has to be seen that it's activated, rest will be done without any problems.

People can basically upgrade all fishy machines if they know how to make them genuine.

Edited by jenny2017

17 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm not sure why you are quoting my post.

Windows 7 Ultimate has nothing to do with it and I have no idea as to what you might be referring to as a watermark.

In addition the article to which you linked is three years old and refers to an upgrade and not a clean install.

Sorry, I was answering a few different questions about topics on two websites. I'd do the upgrade and should there be a problem, it's easy to make a clean install, once the W 10 is activated.

If the W 7 is running well, I'd at least try it. Sorry, for my first post. 

33 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Okay, I believe you. I recall a similar problem that finally worked well. I'm in the middle of upgrading two old school computers running W 7, unfortunately, is the internet so lousy that the installation always stops before I can have my 100 % of W 10 set up.

"My friend" even upgraded a fishy W 7 installation from a Thai computer shop for 250 baht.

The watermark has to be seen that it's activated, rest will be done without any problems.

People can basically upgrade all fishy machines if they know how to make them genuine.

I'm still not sure as to what you are referring as a watermark.

The gatherosstate option allows you to run a clean install without needing to run the upgrade.

So either way, you don't need to depend on the school Internet.

You can download and create the media and use that to upgrade or clean install. Using either a legitimately purchased product key or the Genuineticket.xml file from the activated install.

I can't comment on the method used to upgrade your school machines, as I don't know.

But if you need some help with them, let me know.

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2018 at 12:26 PM, KneeDeep said:

It will work. 

You 

It did discriminate unfortunately.

I burned the DVD from the iso, opened it on the nominated 32-bit machine, copied the file to desktop, ran it as admin and it said the version isn't compatible, 32-bit versus 64-bit, etc. To make sure, I did the same on the 64-bit machine and it created the ticket, no worries. I could maybe use that ticket since the 64-bit version is also fully registered but maybe there's hardware keys involved and if I wanted to upgrade the 64-bit machine at a later date going the same route, I may be stuffed.

Easiest is if you have a direct download link for the 32-bit iso?

Since the SSD I mentioned earlier was only 125 Gb and the way I tend to load up on programs, it looked like that may be challenged for space some time in the future, I went and bought a new 2.5" 250 Gb SSD from lazada for 1900 baht that turned up today.

Also got the 100/50 3bb fiber installed today so ready to rock and roll with this upgrade over the weekend.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I burned the DVD from the iso, opened it on the nominated 32-bit machine, copied the file to desktop, ran it as admin and it said the version isn't compatible, 32-bit versus 64-bit, etc. To make sure, I did the same on the 64-bit machine and it created the ticket, no worries. I could maybe use that ticket since the 64-bit version is also fully registered but maybe there's hardware keys involved and if I wanted to upgrade the 64-bit machine at a later date going the same route, I may be stuffed.

Since the SSD I mentioned earlier was only 125 Gb and the way I tend to load up on programs, it looked like that may be challenged for space some time in the future, I went and bought a new 2.5" 250 Gb SSD from lazada for 1900 baht that turned up today.

Also got the 100/50 3bb fiber installed today so ready to rock and roll with this upgrade over the weekend.

I'm sure that he meant that the product key doesn't discriminate. Genuine Ticket is what is used whilst upgrading, so therefore allows you to bypass the tedium of installing over the top, only to run a clean install later.

What I would do is to run a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit using your key and then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

But I know that you would prefer to simply install 32 bit, as it is less work.

So here you are; https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x32.iso?t=0afb9db2-d670-4157-9363-5b8e6b277692&e=1527960020&h=9fa4882b509ccc6129eb67f20c11c9b5

But if you are feeling adventurous; en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso otherwise known as X17-59186

Hashes:

MD5: ed15956fe33c13642a6d2cb2c7aa9749

SHA-1: 0bcfc54019ea175b1ee51f6d2b207a3d14dd2b58

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

I'm sure that he meant that the product key doesn't discriminate. Genuine Ticket is what is used whilst upgrading, so therefore allows you to bypass the tedium of installing over the top, only to run a clean install later.

What I would do is to run a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit using your key and then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

But I know that you would prefer to simply install 32 bit, as it is less work.

So here you are; https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x32.iso?t=0afb9db2-d670-4157-9363-5b8e6b277692&e=1527960020&h=9fa4882b509ccc6129eb67f20c11c9b5

But if you are feeling adventurous; en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso otherwise known as X17-59186

Hashes:

MD5: ed15956fe33c13642a6d2cb2c7aa9749

SHA-1: 0bcfc54019ea175b1ee51f6d2b207a3d14dd2b58

Cheers JJ... that second iso rings a bell... I just need to remember where I ratholed it from a previous adventure.

Since the clean W7 64-bit install would also be on the new SSD, I would still have the original W7 32-bit on the (current) C partition on the resident, dual partition whirling type HD if the subsequent upgrade to W10 64-bit all went pear-shaped. 

It's all about time and although it's been a fair while since I have done any W7 clean installs (don't miss 'em either), I just know that the migration to W10 ultimately isn't going to be any quicker. I reckon MS already has its quota on my life-hours wasted on spackling and painting their one-size-does-not-quite-fit-all o/s's over the years.

So, I may go down that route with the caveat that it is the weekend and despite having oodles faster internet, pretty sure I will be out fishing with the lad (he fishes, I drive, slings a hammock, reads a book, sups a coldie and snoozes).

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Cheers JJ... that second iso rings a bell... I just need to remember where I ratholed it from a previous adventure.

Since the clean W7 64-bit install would also be on the new SSD, I would still have the original W7 32-bit on the (current) C partition on the resident, dual partition whirling type HD if the subsequent upgrade to W10 64-bit all went pear-shaped. 

It's all about time and although it's been a fair while since I have done any W7 clean installs (don't miss 'em either), I just know that the migration to W10 ultimately isn't going to be any quicker. I reckon MS already has its quota on my life-hours wasted on spackling and painting their one-size-does-not-quite-fit-all o/s's over the years.

So, I may go down that route with the caveat that it is the weekend and despite having oodles faster internet, pretty sure I will be out fishing with the lad (he fishes, I drive, slings a hammock, reads a book, sups a coldie and snoozes).

Just download the Windows 7 image from my link. No need to waste time looking around. Clean install is very easy, especially since you don't need to install updates etc. As soon as activated, you can run Genuine Ticket and then clean install Windows 10. So can all be done in a couple of hours or less.

But...you can do all of this without using your current licence, but you will need to identify your Motherboard exactly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkYxM_DOi4

Edited by JamJar

On 6/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, NanLaew said:

The gatherosstate.exe file extracted from sources folder does need to be of the same architecture (32/64) as the OS it is being run on. However the resultant genuineticket.xml file that is generated can be used to activate Win10 on either 32 or 64bit.

So that means if you have an activated 32bit Win7 installation that you want to use to upgrade to a 64bit Win10 clean install, you can but will first need to find a 32bit copy of gatherosstate.exe

I am sure if you google a bit you will find a copy somewhere. It is a small file and it isn't version specific so any old version will do so long as the architecture is the same.

14 hours ago, thedemon said:

The gatherosstate.exe file extracted from sources folder does need to be of the same architecture (32/64) as the OS it is being run on. However the resultant genuineticket.xml file that is generated can be used to activate Win10 on either 32 or 64bit.

So that means if you have an activated 32bit Win7 installation that you want to use to upgrade to a 64bit Win10 clean install, you can but will first need to find a 32bit copy of gatherosstate.exe

I am sure if you google a bit you will find a copy somewhere. It is a small file and it isn't version specific so any old version will do so long as the architecture is the same.

Yes. Did that and extracted the gatherosstate from the W10 32-bit iso that JJ linked earlier.

Just waiting for a perfectly undisturbed day to kick it all off... but the water filter is leaking at the moment.

?

Even key entry may work. Though it makes sense to have all bases covered.

I hadn't tried upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit using gatherosstate, so hesitated to recommend it even though I read it was possible.

But it makes sense that it does.

Edited by JamJar