Pre-existing coverage finally found through a health provider

4MyEgo

Yes, annual.

Another possible option for people with pre-exisitng conditions would be HCI opting for their "Moratorium" as opposed to FMU (full medical underwriting) option. Under that pre-existing conditions will be excluded for the first 2 years of the policy only (5 years in case of cardiac condition or cancer). Lifted after that provided there have been no additional occurrences.

https://www.healthcareinternational.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, annual.

Another possible option for people with pre-exisitng conditions would be HCI opting for their "Moratorium" as opposed to FMU (full medical underwriting) option. Under that pre-existing conditions will be excluded for the first 2 years of the policy only (5 years in case of cardiac condition or cancer). Lifted after that provided there have been no additional occurrences.

I can't help but wonder what they would consider "additional occurrences"?  Coming from the land of the free, home of the brave, I wouldn't be surprised to get really disappointed when I discovered that a routine checkup with a normal EKG, or a script for a statin was flagged as an "additional occurrence".  And that after diligently paying premiums for 5 years, crossing my fingers.

Bottom line is that, while it's great to get information about policies that promise to pay out for this and that, it's always better to hear about them from someone (or someones) who have actually been on the receiving end of such a payout.  A whopper.

Edit:  And I'd add that it would also be comforting to hear from someone who has made a big claim, and didn't get dropped like a hot potato or see their premiums go ballistic the next time the insurer had the opportunity.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

So is the 1.2 million USD an annual cover or for the lifetime of the policy?

That is a good question, I cannot answer it, but have copied and pasted some clauses that might assist you with your question, and if its only for the life of the policy, I am ok with that, commensurate with what I am paying, when compared to what I could have been paying without my pre-existing cover being covered by others.

Section 6:
Insurer’s Limits of Liability
6.1 The limits of the Insurer’s liability according to the Policy to each
of the Members is to the maximum sum prescribed in the Table of
Benefit Maximums that is attached to this Policy and in accordance
with the plan chosen.
6.2 The limits of the Insurer’s liability for the total sum of the Medical
Services covered according to the Policy, for each one of the Members,
throughout the period of insurance, is up to the maximum sum
prescribed in the Table of Benefit Maximums and in accordance with
the plan chosen.
6.3 The limits of the Insurer’s liability for each of the Medical Services
covered by the Policy is in accordance with the medical expenses
as stated above in Paragraph 1.19, but no more than the limit of the
Insurer’s liability for the total of each of the Medical Services.
The Tables of Benefit Maximums and Member Cost Sharing that are
attached form an inseparable part of the Policy, and should be read
over by the Member.

1.19 Medical Expenses
Payments for medical services received by the Member, as a result
of an Insured Event, for essential, suitable and appropriate medical
services that are consistent with the specified price levels (Usual,
Customary and Reasonable - UCR) of similar medical service providers
for the same medical services.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Well OK looks like annual but he didn't say.

MJCM did a fine job finding that out, I didn't include that, because I am only new to health insurance, but am glad MJCM pointed that out.

• Like 1

... that a routine checkup with a normal EKG, or a script for a statin was flagged as an "additional occurrence". 

I can't see in any way that a routine check-up with a normal EKG could be held against you, rather the opposite.  I have annual EKGs and exercise stress tests (treadmill) to double-check that all is OK.

OTOH, being prescribed a statin seems to indicate (to my non-medical brain), that something is amiss with your health, and would certainly warrant further investigation by your insurer.

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Those of you out there who are under 64 who have pre-existing conditions over 5 years old, if you have been knocked back and self insure, but are in a position to want to get private health insurance,

Correction, it is under 65 years of age

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2018 at 3:35 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes, annual.

Sheryl, I went to the site for a quote, and noticed it says: How long? with choices of 3 months or 1 year (https://www.healthcareinternational.com/international-health-insurance-quote). But from your post, it sounds like they do offer long term policies?

4MyEgo, I'll be interested to hear how David Shield works out; it's only been a few months so far, right?

I'm in my mid-fifties, will be living in Chiang Mai, looking for insurance company that covers pre-existing conditions (waiting period is fine). High deductible/catastrophic a priority; don't mind paying out of pocket for small things. 

• 2 months later...