Its annoying when thais drive slow in the overtaking lane

bbabythai

Maybe OP is driving too fast. I try to drive within the speed limits , or reduce speed on bumpy roads. I often choose the middle lane for a better view, then I can pass the really slow trucks on the left and the faster cars can use the right lane. That's how I drive on the big roads. If I'm driving at 120 km /h and you still flash your lights from behind, don't expect me to switch lanes, then you have a problem and should reduce your speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norrska said:

What about checking the blind spot behind her over the shoulder not visible with the mirror.

My BIL has been driving at taxi for 30 years and I mentioned something about blind spots casually in a conversation about driving. He had never heard of the concept. ?

2 hours ago, norrska said:

What about checking the blind spot behind her over the shoulder not visible with the mirror.  Sounds like you may not be a qualified instructor either.

No, I am not a qualified driving instructor. However, I have been legally driving for 55 years in all kinds of conditions, and have never hit anyone. The only accidents I have had are the result of being rear-ended by a couple of drunks, or T-boned by a British tourist in Australia who could not read a Give Way sign. My last accident was about 20 years ago. I've been driving in Thailand now for 9 years, scooter and car.

Sometimes experience is preferable to qualifications.

2 hours ago, norrska said:

Isn't that overtaking?  Undertaker is what you will face if you drive aggressively like this too often.

Overtaking on the inside, aka undertaking. Of 6 years driving here I've yet to have a problem, probably because I don't get right on their bumper first, or flash my lights, or beep my horn at them, or break test them after making the move. 

Don't get me wrong I don't do this every day, but when there is a huge queue behind because of one tool at the front they sometimes need a reminder of how slow they are driving.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Overtaking on the inside, aka undertaking. Of 6 years driving here I've yet to have a problem, probably because I don't get right on their bumper first, or flash my lights, or beep my horn at them, or break test them after making the move. 

Don't get me wrong I don't do this every day, but when there is a huge queue behind because of one tool at the front they sometimes need a reminder of how slow they are driving.

IMHO Thais are actually used to undertaking, because most don't use their mirrors and are blissfully unaware of anything behind them. As long as it is not done aggressively, I think it's accepted.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO Thais are actually used to undertaking, because most don't use their mirrors and are blissfully unaware of anything behind them. As long as it is not done aggressively, I think it's accepted.

An interesting point.

Last year I had a farang poster insist undertaking was not illegal here?

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Morch said:

On some roads (or what passes for "highways", the left lane is often in bad condition (trucks traffic and poor construction), never mind height difference from shoulder (when such exists). Guess some aren't keen on subjecting their vehicles to torture.

It's got more to do with motorcycles which are driving on the left side of the road and are unpredictable in their moves.

Better to stay in the right lane and avoiding hitting one not that sometimes I am tempted. :cheesy:

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

An interesting point.

Last year I had a farang poster insist undertaking was not illegal here?

Perhaps he was thinking of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which is in the back of all of our minds as we tried not get mowed down by one of the maniac van drivers.

OTOH, he could just watch this video on hazards of undertaking,

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/793433/video-car-accident-crash-motorway

Edited by norrska

4 hours ago, norrska said:

Perhaps he was thinking of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which is in the back of all of our minds as we tried not get mowed down by one of the maniac van drivers.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/793433/video-car-accident-crash-motorway

Undertaking is legal and a thriving business here. We all need one in the end.?

22 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe OP is driving too fast. I try to drive within the speed limits , or reduce speed on bumpy roads. I often choose the middle lane for a better view, then I can pass the really slow trucks on the left and the faster cars can use the right lane. That's how I drive on the big roads. If I'm driving at 120 km /h and you still flash your lights from behind, don't expect me to switch lanes, then you have a problem and should reduce your speed.

That's a reasonable, unselfish way to be. ?

Wife and I prefer the far right lane most of the time, because it puts the most distance between us and the shit going on to the left.  Except when we approach one of those suicide U-Turns in the middle of a bloody major highway, adjust accordingly. 

We are courteous to others, and match the flow of traffic in the right lane.   Always scanning, and when we see a car approaching at a faster speed from the rear or someone gets in a hurry behind us, we signal and move over so they can be on their way.  That's what I would like others to do for me.  It's not that difficult.  Although the concept doesn't seem to be shared universally here.

7 hours ago, norrska said:

And yet you didn't know about the blindspot?

Yes, I know what a blindspot is. If you can point out a blindspot on a Toyota Vios with two side mirrors and a central mirror, you'd be doing better than me.

It's not just Thais that do stupid things on the road. Coming out of Chiang Rai today, Highway # 1 if you please, two young falangs on scooters doing about 60 km/hr in the outside lane, riding side-by-side where the pickups, SUV's etc. are doing 100-120 km/hr. I'm wondering how long they will survive.

I'll give them credit for wearing helmets, although I'm not sure what they were protecting.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:52 AM, possum1931 said:

I found that driving in the states was very easy, very little hassle and very considerate drivers, no one seemed to be in a rush, and I don't remember seeing slow drivers in the wrong lane, and I have driven all the way between San Francisco and over the Mexican border through Los Angeles, going up the Pacific Coast Highway and down the coast rode, all done very easy, and none of the nonsense you always get here in Thailand. Same applies all the way from LA through the desert to Vegas.

Yes. Despite many of the farang on TV alleging that "it's the same in every country", it's most certainly not. 

I've driven in the US as well and still do from time to time when there for work. Absolute pleasure driving there. 

• Like 1

I agree, the US is on a different planet when it comes to high ways and easy relaxed driving. I always rent a car if I visit the US.

It's cheap and you really need a car to see things over there. Last time I took a trip from L.A up to S.F and then to Vegas baby .

29 minutes ago, balo said:

I agree, the US is on a different planet when it comes to high ways and easy relaxed driving. I always rent a car if I visit the US.

It's cheap and you really need a car to see things over there. Last time I took a trip from L.A up to S.F and then to Vegas baby .

US roads are too long to rush; why race like a maniac when it’s still going to take hours to get where you’re going?

6 hours ago, 55Jay said:

That's a reasonable, unselfish way to be. ?

Wife and I prefer the far right lane most of the time, because it puts the most distance between us and the shit going on to the left.  Except when we approach one of those suicide U-Turns in the middle of a bloody major highway, adjust accordingly. 

We are courteous to others, and match the flow of traffic in the right lane.   Always scanning, and when we see a car approaching at a faster speed from the rear or someone gets in a hurry behind us, we signal and move over so they can be on their way.  That's what I would like others to do for me.  It's not that difficult.  Although the concept doesn't seem to be shared universally here.

It’s annoying when you’re overtaking, someone rushes up behind you, you signal left, as soon as you are courteously far in front of the car you were overtaking you start to move left and the guy behind pulls in to undertake you.

In Australia you will be pulled over buy the police & given a ticket for staying in the overtaking lane, while there are those that do stay there the greater majority move back. Unfortunately here drivers are too arrogant/self important to consider other road users

On 5/31/2018 at 2:00 PM, norrska said:

What about checking the blind spot behind her over the shoulder not visible with the mirror.  Sounds like you may not be a qualified instructor either.

if you have your mirrors adjusted in the car properly there are no blind spots especially if its a normal car and not a truck. Also knowing whats behind you by checking your mirrors regularly helps too. I can see everything behind me when driving, if its not in the side mirror its in the rear view mirror, its just common sense to make sure you can see what coming up on you

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 9:02 AM, Berkshire said:

Funny, but I recall a thread recently where a farang guy was suggesting that it was his absolute God-given right to drive slow in the fast lane.  You two should get together.

That would be an American. They're entitled to drive wherever they like or so they think!!!! Live there for 20 years like I did and you'll appreciate the Thai driving standards a little more!

56 minutes ago, seajae said:

if you have your mirrors adjusted in the car properly there are no blind spots especially if its a normal car and not a truck. Also knowing whats behind you by checking your mirrors regularly helps too. I can see everything behind me when driving, if its not in the side mirror its in the rear view mirror, its just common sense to make sure you can see what coming up on you

All you need is someone to stand at your b pillar and walk sideways and you will soon find a blind spot. Usually dangerous on three lane highways when changing lanes.

18 hours ago, norrska said:

Yep, maybe he is still on TV if he has survived.

9 hours ago, seajae said:

Simply not true.  There are blind spots and you should always check when changing lanes

10 hours ago, seajae said:

not true

On 5/31/2018 at 3:49 PM, balo said:

i think your selfish. If a car is behind you, you should move out of the way. your as brain dead as the thais

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, davidst01 said:

i think your selfish. If a car is behind you, you should move out of the way. your as brain dead as the thais

What a brainless comment. 

I am not talking about low speed here, but 120 km/ h . If you want to drive too fast not my problem , you choose the right lane like everyone else who want to gamble with their lives. 

I am in the middle lane , so you can pass me on the right side, I see cars speeding up to 170 km/h because the police do not care like in other civilized countries. 

On 5/30/2018 at 3:52 PM, observer90210 said:

You never know who will get out of which car in front and if he will chose a stick, knife or a gun, to intimidate or assault you just to save face,

You'll have more risk of that with the ones that pass you with 150Km an hour on whatever side you are driving and flashing their lights from 20km away so you know that you have to move to make room for them. Also wheels that stick out ten centimeters tells you that their 'clockenspiel' is very tiny so compensation in the form of a gun or other weapon is used to compensate the deficiency.

• Like 1