Dangerous Extortion Threat in Samui

I received an SMS from someone in Thailand instructing me to go to a website and enter a user name and pw.  It revealed pictures of me and my loved ones, my house, and car, and instructed me to deposit $118,000 in a bitcoin account or my family would be dead.  It sounded like a hoax, but why take the trouble to photograph someone, plus they added some personal details of my life that not many people know about? I am not on Facebook and those pictures didn't come off any site.  I stay very incognito here for obvious reasons.  If anyone gets something similar, please let me know.  It was on a protonmail.com site in Switzerland and there was a bitcoin account attached.

I turned it over to the Bophut Police.

As usual there is far more to this “story”- it just sounds unreal.

Of course “ I stay incognito here for obvious reasons “ - obvious to whom.

I seem to have my picture / name in the local rag quite often at charity / social events - maybe I should wear a balaclava in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the responses!  I have contacted two US federal agencies (both operating out of US Embassy Bangkok) and emailed proton.  Hopefully, we will find an answer soon.  There have been several shakedowns/extortions in the Thai news, which you can review on TV.  Also, search "murders in Koh Samui or Koh Tao" and you will get a picture of why it's safer to keep a low profile.

• Like 1

Well it’s must be someone that knows you and your family, also has your phone number. Start writing down the names and cross them off one by one. If a bitcoin a/c is involved then start with the Farang who know you, also do be upset with what I am about to state but it is a good idea to start with family and friends first, maybe friends of your children , wife ect Good luck. 

• Like 1

Well its obviously someone you know if they are asking for that amount !!

Out of about 20 people I could think of was I to do this then I would be lucky to find one who had access to that much in a cash account ! Unless I wanted to choose some business owner I didn't know who ran a successful business and even then no guarantee they would have that much !

Thanks MR for the advice.  I have already done that and ruled out Thais due to the grammar, syntax, and a few other clues.  I suspect it is a local group here who were trying to scam some expats on a land deal.  I met one of them, high pressure type, who asked me all kinds of personal questions.  I said that I had lived all over the world (true) but included one place that I have never even visited -- that country was mentioned in the threat.  As long as nobody else has received a letter like this (very surprising to me) then it must be an isolated incident.  I will keep updating this as quite a few people are helping me on it.

I said "incognito" but probably better to just blend in, be invisible, keep a low profile.  When you live on a small island, everyone wants to know your business: past career, cost of your house, pension.  I feel it's better to ignore these questions.  I never had a FB account and just deleted my LinkedIn account.  I never owned or worked in any business in Thailand.

Edited by parallaxtech
grammar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Thanks MR for the advice.  I have already done that and ruled out Thais due to the grammar, syntax, and a few other clues.  I suspect it is a local group here who were trying to scam some expats on a land deal.  I met one of them, high pressure type, who asked me all kinds of personal questions.  I said that I had lived all over the world (true) but included one place that I have never even visited -- that country was mentioned in the threat.  As long as nobody else has received a letter like this (very surprising to me) then it must be an isolated incident.  I will keep updating this as quite a few people are helping me on it.

I said "incognito" but probably better to just blend in, be invisible, keep a low profile.  When you live on a small island, everyone wants to know your business: past career, cost of your house, pension.  I feel it's better to ignore these questions.  I never had a FB account and just deleted my LinkedIn account.  I never owned or worked in any business in Thailand.

When you say local group are you meaning local Thais or foreigners and can you say what the land scam was ?

Although there are plenty of them in scamui !! ?

R:  I am looking at one group of foreigners (not Russian, Israelis, Eng, Aus, US).  They kidnapped and extorted money from two expats here, who have now fled the island.  This is probably more common than people realize as it's pretty easy to capture someone, drain their ATM daily, and then have money sent to your account or BC wallet.

You can find a minimum of 20 land scams a day here.  This one involved beachfront land in Chaweng for 800k THB/rai.  I said I would take 10 rai at that price!

Edited by parallaxtech
grammar
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

M1:  As far as we can tell, it was a Skype SMS.  We tried it from the police station but it wouldn't go through.  Here is the phone number if you have any ideas:

(66) 635203086

message back on Skype. F you

rat

Edited by Media1

Whatever happens, please close the loop and keep posting back.  The outcome, what works, what doesn't work, who's helpful, who's useless, is the threat real or a hoax, etc.

The information could be helpful for others.

21 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

R:  I am looking at one group of foreigners (not Russian, Israelis, Eng, Aus, US).  They kidnapped and extorted money from two expats here, who have now fled the island.  This is probably more common than people realize as it's pretty easy to capture someone, drain their ATM daily, and then have money sent to your account or BC wallet.

You can find a minimum of 20 land scams a day here.  This one involved beachfront land in Chaweng for 800k THB/rai.  I said I would take 10 rai at that price!

Don't think you could buy any land of use on samui for 800k a rai .

Is it perhaps zee French ?? ?

So you receive an sms from an unknown source asking you to go onto an unknown website. The unknown source has provided you with a username and password to log into said website and you follow the sms message to the letter!! Are you for real? This has to be a wind up or has John Le Carre joined TV, trying to flog his new spy thriller ? 

TJ:  It appeared to be a hoax until I saw the surveillance pictures of myself and house.  What would you do if someone sent photos of your family and said that they would kill everyone if you didn't pay?  So far, I haven't paid and am still alive.  If I don't respond tomorrow, well, maybe I should have paid!

Edited by parallaxtech
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

TJ:  It appeared to be a hoax until I saw the surveillance pictures of myself and house.  What would you do if someone sent photos of your family and said that they would kill everyone if you didn't pay?  So far, I haven't paid and am still alive.  If I don't respond tomorrow, well, maybe I should have paid!

All I'm saying is it seems too far-fetched to be true. Who in their right minds inserts a user-name and password from an unknown SMS into a website. 

• Like 1

Hindsight is wonderful but I would do the same thing again.  The SMS was threatening and personal in itself so I needed to see what else they wanted.  Their demands and photos were on the webpage, which provided all the evidence for a detective I hired yesterday.  I actually went to a public computer as I was worried about a virus.

I am a fan of the Movie Ransom with Mel Gibson.  Instead of paying the ransom for his son, he offers money to anyone who can kill the kidnappers.  There are good people working on this so hopefully we will get some results.

Hey, it's 7:30, just had a wonderful dinner, and feel remarkably rejuvenated.  As my brother used to say, "You never feel truly alive unless you've survived a firefight."  I served, but not in the military, so maybe some of you vets can comment.

I have until midnight tonight to pay or else.  I am worried that a transformer will explode outside my house and I will have a heart attack.

I've appreciated some wonderful comments here.  Thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

Hindsight is wonderful but I would do the same thing again.  The SMS was threatening and personal in itself so I needed to see what else they wanted.  Their demands and photos were on the webpage, which provided all the evidence for a detective I hired yesterday.  I actually went to a public computer as I was worried about a virus.

I am a fan of the Movie Ransom with Mel Gibson.  Instead of paying the ransom for his son, he offers money to anyone who can kill the kidnappers.  There are good people working on this so hopefully we will get some results.

Hey, it's 7:30, just had a wonderful dinner, and feel remarkably rejuvenated.  As my brother used to say, "You never feel truly alive unless you've survived a firefight."  I served, but not in the military, so maybe some of you vets can comment.

I have until midnight tonight to pay or else.  I am worried that a transformer will explode outside my house and I will have a heart attack.

Well you have the Bophut Police department, 2 US Federal Agencies and a Private Detective working on it. All they have to do is solve the drama before the baddies come at midnight. For your next drama contact CSI Miami, they always have the problem sorted out within the hour on True Vision. 

Like you I also served, I was a waiter during my uni days many years ago. What restaurant did you serve, maybe we crossed paths during a frying pan fire fight or shared tips ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

So you have a death threat with a deadline expiring at midnight, you have a family and you spend your last hours here citing quotes from the movie Ransom and serving us anecdotes from your brother? I really wanted to give you the benefit of doubt, and you did a good job of avoiding too big pot holes in your story, but this is where it falls apart unless you went underground.

I call BS, your post means that you're 1) full of it, 2)  a psychopath with no regard for your wife and and family, 3) already in a different location (unlikely, considering your post), 4) a daredevil who doesn't care who gets hurt in the process, even if it's your own family, or 5) a complete idiot that they should've tried to extort for 50,000 baht, not 3.5 million. Unless you won the lottery, that is.

There's also 6), of course, that you are incapable of understanding actions and consequences. It happens.

The anecdote from your brother is good, I'm sure it would go over well if I was in the same situation and told my wife this evening that "Hey, you never feel truly alive unless you've survived a firefight – bullets works the same way, so let's hope we all survive this, we'll be climbing mountains and shouting from treetops after that.

Edited by Sirbergan
  • Haha 1