Trump wades into furore over racist Roseanne Barr tweet

webfact

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

You seem to be out of your element in these political threads.  Shouldn't you be in the "teacher who confiscated teen girls' underwear" thread?   

I disagree. This is an entirely appropriate thread for the Barrflies.

Edited by ballpoint

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Liberal hypocrisy has no limits Booony as we both know.

How many MSM media commentators, including ABCV, called Trump an orangatang and were never even sabctioned, let along fired.

ABC's loss will be Fox's gain.  Probably under another name, and in 'due course', but just like Top Gear and all the main hosts came back as The Grand Tour after Jeremy Clarkson was sacked by the PC liberal publicly owned UK channel, so will Roseanne come back in the future.

Fox will have Roseanne 2 and Last Man Standing 2 - their ratings will be even higher above the liberal media channels.

Yes, because people of Swedish and Scottish....make that German and Scottish ancestry...have traditionally been likened to apes and had their abilities denigrated because of that?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Oh, the best you can find is a comedian, okay. So, I see your legitimate ape and raise you Trump mocking the handicapped reporter?   Your turn. Wanna bet who runs out of material first?

I was referring to the hypocrisy and selective outrage whereby Barr immediately suffers repercussions but Mahr doesn't even cause the bat of an eye lid.  Both Comedians.

Edited by teatree
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, attrayant said:

The Trump/orangutan thing works only for Trump, so again somebody doesn't understand the difference between a caricature and a racial stereotype.

It would be like comparing Manute Bol to a giraffe. It's a caricaturization. They're both tall, get it?  Ha ha!  But compare him to a gorilla and you're skating on the thin ice of racial stereotyping.

The tweet by Barr was referring to one single individual who happens to look a little like a character in a movie.  Where in her tweet was she referring to all black people?

Edited by teatree
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, teatree said:

I was referring to the hypocrisy and selective outrage whereby Barr immediately suffers repercussions but Mahr doesn't even cause the bat of an eye lid.  Both Comedians.

One on a show that talks politics and saterizes!

The other  on a private twitter account!

See the difference!?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL 55555555555555

I've been called "ling" many times because I have a hairy chest.

Some people obviously live to look for insults where none exist.

To keep it simple: comparing human beings in a degrading way to animals is just a way to deny them the same nature - if not state of development - that the human kind was able to reach.

This defines racism, can you realize what it means ( non identical reproduction) ?  

It's an atrocity.

Edited by Opl
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Opl said:

To keep it simple: comparing human beings in a degrading way to animals is just a way to deny them the same nature - if not state of development - that the human kind was able to reach.

This defines racism, can you realize what it means ( non identical reproduction) ?  

It's an atrocity.

Seems to me that the biological aspect that everyone is latching onto here is not what this is about at all.

I think the racial prejudice is based on social organisation rather than biology. When Africa is politically, economically, and academically equal to the rest of the world, then the racial problem will go away. In the meantime, insult may be interpreted as generalised criticism. Unfair, no doubt, to successful individuals - especially if they have only a tenuous link to Africa.

Presumably Barr was bonding with like-minded people, as people do in the corner of the pub, but shouldn't do on the world stage.  She's an idiot, and she knows it now, but I don't think she deserves to have her life ruined.

14 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Seems to me that the biological aspect that everyone is latching onto here is not what this is about at all.

I think the racial prejudice is based on social organisation rather than biology. When Africa is politically, economically, and academically equal to the rest of the world, then the racial problem will go away. In the meantime, insult may be interpreted as generalised criticism. Unfair, no doubt, to successful individuals - especially if they have only a tenuous link to Africa.

Presumably Barr was bonding with like-minded people, as people do in the corner of the pub, but shouldn't do on the world stage.  She's an idiot, and she knows it now, but I don't think she deserves to have her life ruined.

Somebody lacking any knowledge of racism tries to reinvent the definition of racism.

Racist bigot gets slapped down and fired for expressing racist views.

Iliberals go into a collective whinge fest, because clearly they need to defend abuse wherever it’s slapped down.

It’s all getting a bit to much for Illiberals lately, a racist bigot gets fired taking their favourite TV show with her, the Irish are liberalizing women’s rights to abortion, an immigrant saves a kid and gets recognized as a hero and the final straw on the illiberal donkey’s back..... girls get to join the Scouts.

All a warm-up for the racist in chief being tossed out of the White House and provided alternative federal accommodation.

These really are the worst of times, these are really are the best of times.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Sad 1

I am not a Roseanne Barr fan and never have been.   I don't like her humor, although she has had her moments.   Her tweets were racist.

She has had mental problems in the past and has admitted to several diagnosis.   Deep down I don't think she is a racist, but her rants on twitter were OTT.   She blamed Ambien, but I wonder if she is taking other medication, or perhaps has stopped taking medication.   

I don't think ABC had much choice but to cancel her program.   I hope she gets the help she needs.   

Just now, Credo said:

I am not a Roseanne Barr fan and never have been.   I don't like her humor, although she has had her moments.   Her tweets were racist.

She has had mental problems in the past and has admitted to several diagnosis.   Deep down I don't think she is a racist, but her rants on twitter were OTT.   She blamed Ambien, but I wonder if she is taking other medication, or perhaps has stopped taking medication.   

I don't think ABC had much choice but to cancel her program.   I hope she gets the help she needs.   

Is racism listed as one of Ambien’s side effects?

She might have a case for compo!

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Is racism listed as one of Ambien’s side effects?

She might have a case for compo!

Nope.   Here's the company's response:   In response to Roseanne's apology, the company behind Ambien wrote that "racism is not a known side effect"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Somebody lacking any knowledge of racism tries to reinvent the definition of racism.

Thank you for the acknowledgement, for that is exactly what I have just done, though you are revealing your own prejudice in assuming I have no experience of discrimination. Perhaps I stammer or have a disfigured face or am wheelchair bound? Whether or not, prejudice can be handled with philosophy. Generalisation is a principle broadly employed in Nature - without it the world wouldn't function.

The fashion for taking offence is now well out of hand. It's deranging everyone. Those who prefer offence-taking to my constructive interpretation of 'insult as criticism' are simply afraid of criticism. And what people really need to understand is that these things are usually not even intended to be offensive - it is a form of teasing meant to break the ice and prod for improvement. You can all put away your pocket hysteria.

Edit: 'prod for improvement' is probably ambitious in most cases.  'Prod vanities' may be more like it, especially in this particular case.

Edited by CharlesSwann
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlesSwann said:

Sure, that's the reason for racial prejudice against black Americans. It's because Africa isn't an economically advanced continent. The American view of Africa is why one part of the USA fought to keep slaves of African descent and then for a hundred years after passed explicit laws keeping them subordinate. And Africa is why there were thousands of lynching in black men and that no one was ever prosecuted for them. And now Africa is the reason why people say nasty things about black people. That's not nuts at all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

Lets put it this way, Trump has tweeted far worse, and he is still president. ?

Indeed

now... if only “we the people” could follow Disney’s lead, wouldn’t it be wonderful we’ve seen the grass, on the other side of the fence.... and that old saying holds true.

15 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Very sad that President Trump is acting as an enabler of this kind of thinking. Hopefully, he is a one-termer. The United States is practically a pariah for electing and supporting this man. He makes us all look bad.

Just wanted to say I thought it was funny, the "makes us all look bad" comment next to your Vlad the Impaler avatar. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Am I the only one trying to figure out where the African American woman is in this equation????

No; there are at least two others based on the reactions to your post.  The troubling thing is that you seem to think a person's ethic identity is based solely on their skin color.

Remember that time when Michael Jackson's skin turned white?  After that, he was totally not of African descent any more - just like magic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, teatree said:

Bill Mahr... interesting choice teatree.

You DO realize he was fired by ABC for making, ahem, politically incorrect statements on-air 6 days after 911, right?

You DO realize he was sued by 45 over the orangutang statement and won in a court of law, right?

21 hours ago, DM07 said:

Are you a black man, who's "race" or ancestors have been stripped of their humanity and was bought and sold like furniture AND have been called apes and monkeys?

Then maybe...just maybe...you have no idea, what you are talking about!

My ancestors were Irish. The Irish were enslaved in olden days and called a lot worse than apes by the English up to not so very long ago.

If you want to get into slavery, all races enslaved other races for most of human history. Africans enslaved other Africans, and the Saudis only banned slavery last century.

• Thanks 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

My ancestors were Irish. The Irish were enslaved in olden days and called a lot worse than apes by the English up to not so very long ago.

If you want to get into slavery, all races enslaved other races for most of human history. Africans enslaved other Africans, and the Saudis only banned slavery last century.

The Irish were not brought to the US in chains.

Far from it. The Irish journey to the US was one of hope and freedom, a journey for a better life.

(Not unlike South Americans travelling to the US in search of work, opportunity and a better life).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Irish were not brought to the US in chains.

Far from it. The Irish journey to the US was one of hope and freedom, a journey for a better life.

(Not unlike South Americans travelling to the US in search of work, opportunity and a better life).

Just let it be!

We constantly forget, how the Irish are gunned down by the police for traffic violations, how Irish get called every name in the book by US-politicians, how "Irish -on- Irish"- crime is mentioned everytime, an Irish- guy addresses gun violence and how Irish- people get called out for kneeling during the anthem in quiet protest!

God, they got it rough, the Irish!

• Like 2