Video: Taxis refusing fares - it's not news but footage is poignant

webfact

Video: Taxis refusing fares - it's not news but footage is poignant

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai social media widely shared a video of a father and young daughter trying in vain to get a taxi to take them home.

As the rain starts to fall the father and his daughter - who is carrying a soft toy - go from one Bangkok cab to another in their futile attempt to get a ride.

Then when it is obviously hopeless they go and sit and wait for a bus.

The footage was uploaded by Rangsit University lecturer Netthip Surasirikun who asked why the taxi drivers in Bangkok bothered to put on their lights if they were not going to pick up passengers.

She said it was a pitiful and all too common sight as she condemned the capital's taxis for their poor service.

Some 28,000 netizens shared the story.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-31

In most civilised countries it is an offence for official taxis to refuse a fare to any destination within the city limits if their "for hire" sign is on (assuming the prospective passenger is in a fit state to be in a vehicle). Also an offence to carry a fare without the meter being on.

Drivers who offend can have their cab licence revoked or suspended.

Probably about time this was implemented in Thailand, especially as it's not hard to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

including at the airport.

There is nothing wrong with the 2 Airports "obsever90210"----that was settled some time ago.....unless you dont take one from the official rank.

At least that my experience, & I fly into both on a monthly bases.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

He asked 1 taxi, something, could have been for spare change to buy a bus ticket !!

Then wanders off, not from taxi to taxi... Now I'm starting to comprehend "fake news" ?

Would have to agree with that as well. That part of the video coverage didn't show him going from taxi to taxi, and certainly didn't run with what was being described in the OP.

18 minutes ago, cracker1 said:
6 hours ago, Stuart F said:

UBER

No Uber in Thailand

GRAB... 

That said, last night a 'GrabCar' accepted my ride... then 10mins later messaged me through the App to ask me to cancel as he didn't want to take me to my destination. 

I suspect that he didn't want to cancel himself as this would lose him some sort of service rating. 

Unfortunately, the 'Thailand' still can't be eradicated from these services.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

In most civilised countries it is an offence for official taxis to refuse a fare to any destination within the city limits if their "for hire" sign is on (assuming the prospective passenger is in a fit state to be in a vehicle). Also an offence to carry a fare without the meter being on.

Drivers who offend can have their cab licence revoked or suspended.

Probably about time this was implemented in Thailand, especially as it's not hard to do.

Singapore a good example, even small complaints are investigated, if found to be true automatic license suspension for 30 days, second offence taxi license cancelled for life can never be renewed, plus fines. And anybody caught driving without appropriate license jail time.

Which means taxi driver behave themselves. 

• Like 2

Refuses a fair, 7 day car impound.  followed by 30 days for 2nd offense, etc.  In Thailand only financial punishment makes an impression.   We now have a country with no adult supervision or role models.    Worse traits coming to the surface on a regular basis.

It is already an offence in Thailand to refuse a fare and to not put the meter on, It's just a matter of getting the RTP off their collective fat asses to actually enforce the law

Surprising that the article does not mention that. Also surprising that the social media comments dont mention it either.

Both appear to suggest that it is up to the driver, rather than being a legal requirement.