Love it or hate it - Durian set to be truly out of this world!

webfact

Love it or hate it - Durian set to be truly out of this world!

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The Thais are set to send durian into outer space in July.

The fruit - that has people swooning and revolted by its smell and taste - will be sent to the heavens in what scientists say will be the first Thai food to leave earth.

The idea to send the dried version of the fruit is part of the National Space Exploration group's "Thai Food to Space" project.

However, the durian won't be staying long - just four or five minutes, before it hurtles back to earth.

Then it will be examined to see if it has undergone any molecular changes.

The Thais think that one day durian could be the choice of discerning and hungry astronauts, reported Sanook.

Thaivisa can confirm that today is May 31st......not April 1st.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-31
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

in what scientists say will be the first Thai food to leave earth.

I thought it came from Borneo? I know Thailand has the most variety, but come on, Durian is not "Thai food".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I thought it came from Borneo? I know Thailand has the most variety, but come on, Durian is not "Thai food".

You're right. It's not originally from Thailand, but they [the Thais] are the No. 1 exporters of the fruit. 

Why is this nonsense even in the "news" anyway? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the durian won't be staying long - just four or five minutes, before it hurtles back to earth.

Good!  I hope it burns up on re-entry.  Ughhh! 

• Haha 1

Please settle this for me. What are people talking about when they say durian smells bad? I can see saying it has a strong smell, but bad? Are they referring to when it is rotten? If so, i have never smelled bad durian so it must be people just think durian smells bad whenever, right? I just cant believe people think it smells. IT is not gardenias, but it does not smell. 

Car shit smells! Dog shit smells! Dead animals rotting smell. Durian does not smell. 

• Thanks 1

I often see roadside stalls selling Durian at 100 - 120 bt kilo. Unfortunately only a small % of the whole fruit can be eaten, The buyer pays for the whole fruit of which the major part is thrown away. I think chilled Durian is delicious, but I never buy a whole one, because I don't believe in paying for rubbish. Buying ready packed/priced fruit is best. Buying the whole fruit is in effect a gamble as to how much edible fruit will be inside!

Durian hasn't got the best smell in the world, and it's definitely strong, but I don't think it's awful.  I suppose relative to other fruits, it has a bad smell.

Still... imagine being locked into a space station with one!

Wifey told me we had to collect a 'food order' last night
She didn't tell it was a crate of bloomin Durian
Fabreezed the hell out of the car when I got home last night and still had to drive to work with the windows open this morning?

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Please settle this for me. What are people talking about when they say durian smells bad? I can see saying it has a strong smell, but bad? Are they referring to when it is rotten? If so, i have never smelled bad durian so it must be people just think durian smells bad whenever, right? I just cant believe people think it smells. IT is not gardenias, but it does not smell. 

Car shit smells! Dog shit smells! Dead animals rotting smell. Durian does not smell. 

Well all I can say is that you must either have an impaired sense of smell or an extremely strong stomach, to me, ripe Durian at room temperature smells exactly like excrement and very strong excrement, many many hotels ban it from their premises for that very reason, my Mrs brought some home about 6 years ago, I was violently sick in the sink because of the smell. Not only hotels, some forms of transport ban it, Taxis etc.

Each to their own, it's a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it it, personally I hate it and it is banned from the house. 

9 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

It smelled like vomit to me when I first came to Thailand, but after learning to love it over many years, the smell does not bother me anymore.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

It smelled like vomit to me when I first came to Thailand, but after learning to love it over many years, the smell does not bother me anymore.

ok. i suppose i can see that. i never got that from it but it kinda makes more sense now. 

the weird part is it actually smells pretty good to me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well all I can say is that you must either have an impaired sense of smell or an extremely strong stomach, to me, ripe Durian at room temperature smells exactly like excrement and very strong excrement, many many hotels ban it from their premises for that very reason, my Mrs brought some home about 6 years ago, I was violently sick in the sink because of the smell. Not only hotels, some forms of transport ban it, Taxis etc.

Each to their own, it's a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it it, personally I hate it and it is banned from the house. 

Objectively speaking, if it realy did smell like turds i dont think anyone would eat it. But, tons of people eat it, not just a crazy few. This could be like one of those things like attached earlobes... just a certain, small or large, portion of the population thinks it smells. The rest don't.