Draft plan to allow foreigners to work in 11 ‘reserved’ occupations

webfact

Draft plan to allow foreigners to work in 11 ‘reserved’ occupations

By THE NATION

2d3fbf797877e9eca7e34d8037e591bf.jpeg

File photo

Labour ministry proposal would allow them in engineering, architecture and accountancy.

A PLAN by the Labour Ministry would allow foreigners to enter 11 of the 39 occupations that are now reserved for Thais. 

If the plan goes ahead, foreigners will be able to work as civil engineers, accountants and architects in Thailand under certain conditions. 

“For example, we won’t allow them to work independently or become business owners,” Labour Minister Police General Adul Sangsingkeo said yesterday. 

He said the plan would be submitted to the policy committee on solutions to migrant labour problems in the middle of June. 

de705be9c800058e564cea291bea2ad4.jpeg

Labour Minister Police General Adul Sangsingkeo

The 28-member committee consists of representative from government agencies, the Thai Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Thai Industries. 

If the committee approves the plan, it would take effect by July 1. 

Under the plan, Adul’s ministry would also add Thai massage services as an occupation reserved for Thais, he said.

“But the committee will decide whether to approve it,” he said. 

Adul spoke after a meeting with the Labour Ministry’s permanent secretary, Jarin Chakkaphark, and the Employment Department’s director-general, Anurak Tossarat. 

The ministry held several forums to gather opinions from relevant parties before finalising the plan for the committee.

The Council of Engineers has criticised the plan. The civil-engineer occupation should remain reserved for Thais because it involves people’s safety, they said.

Downplaying that critique, Anurak said the council would have the last say. 

“Even if the plan sails through, foreigners interested in working as civil engineers in Thailand would have to seek permits from the Council of Engineers before they could start working,” he said. 

Adul said due to labour shortages in some fields, the Labour Ministry intended to allow foreigners to fill the demand. 

“But we allow them in necessary fields only,” he said, adding that the move was also in line with the agreement Asean nations had signed regarding free labour migration. 

Dozens of small-business owners are not happy with the Labour Ministry continuing to reserve occupations for Thais. 

“Migrants should be allowed to work as shopkeepers,” a small entrepreneur said. 

She said small shops, restaurants and nail spas would run into legal trouble if they were not legally allowed to hire migrant workers. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30346707

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-01
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mok199 said:

my dreams of becoming a tuk tuk driver are shattered.!!!

No worries, my friend.  I think I've found a couple of the bicycle pedicabs worthy of restoration.  Great leg exercise.  Not quite as good as carrying 100 kilo sacks of rice up a ramp onto a 10-wheeler, but a close second.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“For example, we won’t allow them to work independently or become business owners,” Labour Minister Police General Adul Sangsingkeo said yesterday

Fine, how about allowing International Architects the right to ownership of their design though?

Mana Nakhon a good example.

Despite this, overall good news if approved. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

No worries, my friend.  I think I've found a couple of the bicycle pedicabs worthy of restoration.  Great leg exercise.  Not quite as good as carrying 100 kilo sacks of rice up a ramp onto a 10-wheeler, but a close second.

I have been an advocate for the ''return of the rickshaw ''for years....sign me up..

I have an old lady friend who's a (properly qualified) teacher. A few years ago she was working in Lahore, Pakistan. One of the main reasons that she quit the job was that the system was so loaded-up with corruption, something which she wanted nothing to do with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, coulson said:

Fine, how about allowing International Architects the right to ownership of their design though?

Mana Nakhon a good example.

Despite this, overall good news if approved. 

I thought they already had copyright protection?

https://corporate.findlaw.com/intellectual-property/llp-owner-vs-architect-who-owns-the-design.html

https://info.vethanlaw.com/blog/2010/08/architects-and-engineers-what-can-they-copyright-and-protect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Council of Engineers has criticised the plan. The civil-engineer occupation should remain reserved for Thais because it involves people’s safety, they said.

What about automobiles ?   Should those be locally designed too to cut down on accidents ?  What a stupid comment. 

3 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I never saw in the "amity act" a provision that allowed for that. Have read it and tried to see if there was a possibility. If there is, it is not as clear cut as that.

Let me know what point in the act states that I can do that. Would be much obliged.

I'm afraid I'm not an American, so I haven't a reference to that directly.

IIRC it allows the purchase of up to one rai. I'm sure someone with more detailed knowledge of it could point you in the right direction. It has been discussed on TVF a few times in the past.

In a previous life, my US neighbours owned the land for their bar in Pattaya. I know that initially the land office just said "no", and it needed a lawyer to take the land office to court in order to get put in their names.