Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

I don't expect the local good wine producers have benefitted much from the tax increase, but it was not about helping these mom and pop shops either.  I will still visit and stay at these local vineyards when I can, and when it is the cool time of the year. It's a nice change and easy to get too compared to a flight to Perth or the Med or further out.  I'm am always assured a good bottle or 3 a day with these, never mind it's not Margaret River price.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, xylophone said:

I'm still finding some reasonably (for Thailand) wines out there............World of Wines selection at Tesco Lotus for 349 baht, also at the same place, Montepulciano d' Abruzzo (nice wine) at 549b, at Central, Eaglehawk range from WolfBlass at 399b and McWilliams Shiraz at 380b, also a favourite, Hopes End, at 440b a bottle so all is not lost from my perspective.

Based on one of your posts, maybe this one (but I think it was an earlier post of yours in this thread) today I bought the World of Wines Vineyards Chardonnay at 349 Baht, not really expecting to find anything drinkable at that price...and lo and behold, you are right! That is actually a better tasting chardonnay that most of the stuff selling for 500-700 from Chile and from a lot of other Australian wines at 600-750.

Obviously, they have intentionally "oaked" the wine, meaning stoking it with oak chips, but who cares? At that price in Thailand, it is pretty amazing for a true grape wine. Leave it to Tesco to figure out a way to deliver a drinkable wine at that price in Thailand.

I also bought the Shiraz at 349 but will try that another day. Meanwhile, pretty amazing to discover a drinkable table wine for that price in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

Based on one of your posts, maybe this one (but I think it was an earlier post of yours in this thread) today I bought the World of Wines Vineyards Chardonnay at 349 Baht, not really expecting to find anything drinkable at that price...and lo and behold, you are right! That is actually a better tasting chardonnay that most of the stuff selling for 500-700 from Chile and from a lot of other Australian wines at 600-750.

Obviously, they have intentionally "oaked" the wine, meaning stoking it with oak chips, but who cares? At that price in Thailand, it is pretty amazing for a true grape wine. Leave it to Tesco to figure out a way to deliver a drinkable wine at that price in Thailand.

I also bought the Shiraz at 349 but will try that another day. Meanwhile, pretty amazing to discover a drinkable table wine for that price in Thailand.

Pleased that you liked it, and hopefully you will do likewise with the Shiraz.

Yes, as you obviously know, oak chips have been used forever to impart some "flavour" to wines (red and white) and like you, I have no problem with it!

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Pleased that you liked it, and hopefully you will do likewise with the Shiraz.

Yes, as you obviously know, oak chips have been used forever to impart some "flavour" to wines (red and white) and like you, I have no problem with it!

I have a guilty admission to make. I also opened the Shiraz and am equally impressed. Now, to put this in perspective, I have been a wine appreciator for many years, have had wine cellars and have toured wineries and vineyards in France, Australia and worldwide, and really this is brand is completely acceptable as a drinkable quaff for this price in Thailand.

Now, the only question is...will I drink both bottles tonight?...

6 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I have a guilty admission to make. I also opened the Shiraz and am equally impressed. Now, to put this in perspective, I have been a wine appreciator for many years, have had wine cellars and have toured wineries and vineyards in France, Australia and worldwide,

Sounds like we have a lot in common and with over 50 yrs experience in the field of wine I have found my wine tastes evolving although mostly as regards red wine.......... 

As far as that goes, well it's a long story, with a liking for grand Cru Beaujolais, then Rioja, then on to well-made wines from the south of France, then the Bordeaux Crus, before being converted to the hefty style of many Australian wines, before going off them because they became too full on and jammy.

Then I discovered some lovely Burgundies, and was able to buy some Corton direct from the vineyard on one of my trips to France and became hooked on fine Burgundies and imported them whilst in NZ.

The ripasso and appassimento wines from Italy always appeal and I seek them out over here.

Just recently on a trip to the UK, I tasted a superb Californian Zinfandel, and it took me back to the days of the jammy Australian wines, although these were made with a little more finesse. Unfortunately I have been unable to find it over here.

For what it's worth, although I found the Tesco World of Wines range okay "drinkers", for me none of them had enough "body" to be able to become favourites, more wines to be had with pizzas and spicy Thai dishes, so I'm always on the lookout for well priced wines that punch above their price range, for want of better terminology, and for me they include, "Hopes End" and the Tesco "Montepulciano d'Abruzzo".

I have mentioned others on this and other wine threads..........they are out there (as the saying goes!!).

Good drinking and wine hunting!

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sounds like we have a lot in common and with over 50 yrs experience in the field of wine I have found my wine tastes evolving although mostly as regards red wine.......... 

Sure, we can trade a lot of stories. I also lived in Phuket 10 years until 2009, and had a great wine cellar there. My favorite whites include Sancerres, and agree that Burgundies can be world beaters, though I find Grand Cru Bordeaux wines better on balance.

Good wine drinking!

19 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Sure, we can trade a lot of stories. I also lived in Phuket 10 years until 2009, and had a great wine cellar there. My favorite whites include Sancerres, and agree that Burgundies can be world beaters, though I find Grand Cru Bordeaux wines better on balance.

Good wine drinking!

Yes, I'm sure that we could have a right old time discussing our wine travels, journeys and tastes!!

As I said I was never one for white wines, although some of the New Zealand Chardonnays now are very good.

The Grand Cru Bordeaux wines I like when they've had up to about 10 years in bottle and I actually did a blind tasting against one of what was supposedly New Zealand's finest Bordeaux style wine, and the French wine was far superior in all respects.

Burgundies, are an enigma as far as I am concerned and IMO you really have to go away up the ladder to get something which is absolutely superb, and that is why I cannot see, for the life of me, why folks out there are lauding the New Zealand Pinot Noirs, because I have yet to taste one which is even remotely close to a good Burgundy, and I'm a New Zealander and have travelled round and tasted many of them and I just don't see what all the fuss is about!

Would desperately love to get hold of the Californian Zinfandel I tasted, and if you come across one called "Carnivor" (2017) then give it a go and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What are you two confused about please?

On 11/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, wgdanson said:

As long as the price of Tipco Red Grape juice, sugar and water do not go up I am quite happy.

Are you talking to yourself??

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:
  On 11/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, wgdanson said:

As long as the price of Tipco Red Grape juice, sugar and water do not go up I am quite happy.

Are you talking to yourself??

No, I was asking the two who put confused faces on my post.

But sometimes I get more sense out of talking to myself.   LOL

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Good wine drinking!

PS. I forgot to mention that I did have a "love affair" with Cote Rotie and Hermitage reds for a few years, and also with some Chateauneuf du Papes, of the older style, where more of the permitted grape varieties were used, rather than the later ones, including those which one can buy in Tesco's, which are predominantly Syrah, Grenache and Mourvedre and which I am not keen on for that reason.

Did find a Californian Zinfandel in a shop yesterday, and have bought a bottle to try and it's not too expensive at 675 baht a bottle and if it's anything like the "Carnivor" I shall be buying a lot of it!!!

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

Did find a Californian Zinfandel in a shop yesterday, and have bought a bottle to try and it's not too expensive at 675 baht a bottle and if it's anything like the "Carnivor" I shall be buying a lot of it!!!

Sad to report that it was not up to scratch...........old for its year of vintage, brown edge, lost its fruit (storage quite poss to blame) and nothing to recommend it, sigh!!!

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Apparently, according to the description on the label, it is "real wine" with only grapes crushed underfoot.
I visited the web, and it's confirmed, but the price is still around $ 15.
If you find this wine to your liking, this can be an opportunity to take advantage of this promotion, knowing that this wine can only be kept for one year.

surprise because the message was posted in English.

Well a bargain then since 200 baht is a lot less than $15.

Anyway, those two bottles are now empty. Very nice too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Did you see any reds on special??

No....not even close. We both prefer red but the cheapest red was around 350 baht. Perhaps it is because there are a lot of NGO's at Mae Sot that the branch of Tops there has a good selection and a lot of bargains. There were several other whites at 259 baht.

We were in Tops in Phichit last night on the way home and that branch had nothing at all at such low prices red or white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, fhickson said:

look at why your complaining about roughly 200 baht for a 2 liter.

chances are its not the wine thats the problem.

Perhaps you should read more carefully before posting , although I guess English is not your first language so you are probably confused.

First ....nobody is complaining. Exactly the opposite.

Secondly ....it was 200 baht for .75 liter , the standard size for a bottle of wine.

Read well before posting.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sirocco said:

Apparently, according to the description on the label, it is "real wine" with only grapes crushed underfoot.
I visited the web, and it's confirmed, but the price is still around $ 15.
If you find this wine to your liking, this can be an opportunity to take advantage of this promotion, knowing that this wine can only be kept for one year.

surprise because the message was posted in English.

Which wine ?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, Susco said:

Anyone can tell me if the white version of this one is drinkable?

Found 5 liter box, red and white, at 950 Baht, so acceptable price if it is drinkable

จัดส่งให้เรียบร้อยค่ะ ออเดอร์ไวน์... - ขายไวน์ เหล้าราคาถูก | Facebook

Drinkable if you don't mind fruit juice added to your wine prior to fermentation. 

Some folks like it, but I don't.......personal choice however.

13 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

Luckily i don't drink this <deleted>. 55 baht gets you a bottle of Tiger on soi bukhawo.

Fascinating. I can buy a bottle of Leo for 35 baht at a 7/11, is that relevant to the subject?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1