Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

2 hours ago, Youlike said:

We do the same and also let them bring cigalettes

After 6 years in Thailand I only discovered last week that they sell Camel at 60 baht/pack (maybe it just arrived who knows) switched instantly from Marlboro which costs 145 baht. Took a little to get used to it but definitely not as bad as the Thai or whatever brands they are that are almost priced the same.

1 hour ago, dennis123 said:

After 6 years in Thailand I only discovered last week that they sell Camel at 60 baht/pack (maybe it just arrived who knows) switched instantly from Marlboro which costs 145 baht. Took a little to get used to it but definitely not as bad as the Thai or whatever brands they are that are almost priced the same.

Soon to be 80 baht a pack.....The Thai cigs are just plain bad...

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

The way the alcohol laws are, they're not allowed to discount or promote alcohol, but yes, there are temporary price changes which expires after a certain period

Yes had a similar experience with Tesco here a few years ago, some high priced wines knocked down from 1599 b to 399 b a bottle (then 199 b) and not advertised, just that the prices were surreptitiously changed on the shelves..........made a pig of myself I'm afraid.

This happened on a few higher priced wines as a clear out (I suppose) and it was wine collectors Christmas for me!!!!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, fforest1 said:

Soon to be 80 baht a pack.....The Thai cigs are just plain bad...

Hmm bummer, maybe get a few cartons in advance, and/or get this 555 brand from Cambodia, not sure they sell it in Laos, quite smokeable, but yeah, as soon as I start with the Thai cigarettes I start coughing with no end in sight.

Not sure how the fruit drink is made with some wine in it with varieties of either "Red" or "White" and no mention of the grape used.  And the use of the Kiwi or Aussie vineyard's labels is a bit misleading. Are these then make-believe vineyard labels?

Edited by jmccarty

1 hour ago, jmccarty said:

Not sure how the fruit drink is made with some wine in it with varieties of either "Red" or "White" and no mention of the grape used.  And the use of the Kiwi or Aussie vineyard's labels is a bit misleading. Are these then make-believe vineyard labels?

I think you'll find that the "wine" is predominantly grape juice with some added fruit juice which is mixed and then fermented together to produce the end result.

On a few bottles/boxes I have seen mention of a particular grape, but you can rest assured that they would not be the pick of the crop otherwise they would not be used in such a product!

In the past I had only ever seen those products made in Australia, Thailand and France, but was most disappointed to see the introduction of a Kiwi made product recently, and as for being real vineyards, well my research shows that they are, but again not those vineyards producing anything other than everyday swigging wines, and I don't think you'll ever see the day that Penfolds or Chapoutier produced one of these "wines".

In summary, they are simply made for cheapness, one way or another.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, xylophone said:

I think you'll find that the "wine" is predominantly grape juice with some added fruit juice which is mixed and then fermented together to produce the end result.

On a few bottles/boxes I have seen mention of a particular grape, but you can rest assured that they would not be the pick of the crop otherwise they would not be used in such a product!

In the past I had only ever seen those products made in Australia, Thailand and France, but was most disappointed to see the introduction of a Kiwi made product recently, and as for being real vineyards, well my research shows that they are, but again not those vineyards producing anything other than everyday swigging wines, and I don't think you'll ever see the day that Penfolds or Chapoutier produced one of these "wines".

In summary, they are simply made for cheapness, one way or another.

Cheers - thanks for doing the research! I did try some of this fruit wine. Tastes like something non-drinkers might like, or perhaps teeny-boppers that are looking for something that tastes of candy to then get quite sick from.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jmccarty said:

Cheers - thanks for doing the research! I did try some of this fruit wine. Tastes like something non-drinkers might like, or perhaps teeny-boppers that are looking for something that tastes of candy to then get quite sick from.

The fruit wines are not cheap any more so no point in drinking them...You can not hardly buy any wine now for less than 300 baht a liter....300 baht a liter seems to be the minimum price the powers that be have decided wine WILL sell for in Thailand no matter how crappy the quality....Except for a few exceptions you will find ZERO wine for less than 300 baht a liter...  

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The fruit wines are not cheap any more so no point in drinking them...You can not hardly buy any wine now for less than 300 baht a liter....300 baht a liter seems to be the minimum price the powers that be have decided wine WILL sell for in Thailand no matter how crappy the quality....Except for a few exceptions you will find ZERO wine for less than 300 baht a liter...  

Even that is for the wine limited at 10% alcohol.

9 hours ago, morrobay said:

And of course just a coincidence that the price of wine, the baht and visa requirements for Westerners are being jacked up simultaneously. 

I hate to say it.....But very rarely on the level where big things happen that effects thousands or millions of people are there any coincidences...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the airport bus to Jomtien, I noticed a new wine/spirits shop on Thepprasit near the Thappraya intersection, on the north side of the street.  I'm not much of a drinker these days, but maybe someone would be motivated to check out the place and see if it's a discount shop?  It was a brightly lit, modern-looking shop.

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

From the airport bus to Jomtien, I noticed a new wine/spirits shop on Thepprasit near the Thappraya intersection, on the north side of the street.  I'm not much of a drinker these days, but maybe someone would be motivated to check out the place and see if it's a discount shop?  It was a brightly lit, modern-looking shop. 

I popped in there, yes it's a new shop selling wine and beer but nothing special with a limited stock of goods. Prices no different to the one across the road. Makro still better i think.

• Thanks 1

Wine prices seem to have stopped going up for now at least.....For about 2-3 months the price was going up weekly........315 baht a liter seems to be the new rock bottom price that come hell or high water wine WILL NOT be sold for less than this in Thailand no matter what........No specials and no discounts below 315 a litter are possible unless some one wants to get wacked....lol

Edited by fforest1

• 1 month later...

Spotted in Tops and pounced upon a bottle of cheap Spanish rose , 13.5 degrees for 195 baht.

Surprised to find it had a cork but luckily my old swiss army knife saved the night.

Taste......ok......very ok for the money. Might go back for the last bottle manama to take back to Petchabun and do whatever I want with.

P_20190304_194351_1.jpg

P_20190304_194121.jpg

P_20190304_194202.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Mont Clair still 12% unlike most of the others which are 10% now, i think to get them below a tax threshold.

how can you say something so stupid ? I have never found any wine under 12%

• Sad 5

20 minutes ago, myshem said:

how can you say something so stupid ? I have never found any wine under 12%

I have seen the Montclair with 10% ABV on the plastic containers, so it does exist. Furthermore many wines can fall under the 10% mark...........some Roses and sweet wines for example, esp those made for summertime lunch and light quaffing occasions.

The everyday quaffing/local wines in places like the Languedoc were often under 10% and that's why they were a favourite amongst those working in/on the vines, as they could drink quite a bit of it whilst working without getting too tipsy!!

• Haha 1