Is your Thai companion averse to questions?

Brunolem

My wife always answers questiones ,we talk normally ,why shouldnt she ? to be honest she is no different from a British wife ,(ive had a couple) perhaps its because she is well educated or the fact we lived in the UK for a long time ,who can say .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

My wife always answers questiones ,we talk normally ,why shouldnt she ? to be honest she is no different from a British wife ,(ive had a couple) perhaps its because she is well educated or the fact we lived in the UK for a long time ,who can say .

Your wife always answers questions, ok but you didnt say that she answers them correctly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

My Thai wife hates questions!

She hates answering questions as well as asking them

Some people don't like gestapo style interrogations....what is next, "ver are your paperz"?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, faraday said:

All your wife's fault, eh?

:laugh:

Perhaps you aren't asking the questions, in a way that she understands & without being confrontational?

There are not so many different ways to ask a five word question...

I can also ask the same question in Thai, yet the answer remains the same.

As for being confrontational, we are not talking about an interrogation here, but about simple daily life questions...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, norrska said:

Some people don't like gestapo style interrogations....what is next, "ver are your paperz"?

Perhaps you should take some medication, because your post actually sounds as if it was written by the gestapo!

Just sayin'...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

This is not the case with my wife who is very comfortable with the English language, having almost 20 years of practice.

On top of that, it is not like if I was asking about the phases of the moon, or how to fix the engine in the car...I am talking about very simple and basic questions, such as what time is it?

Finally, the language issue doesn't explain the difficulty of asking questions to other Thais...

From your initial post and this your answer, it sounds to me like your wife does not really care about you and what you want to do or know... it sounds very much like a "leave me alone" attitude... but I hope for you that I am wrong...

the only thing your wife and mine have in common is about asking questions to strangers, there my wife is also very reluctant. But once she overcomes this "Thai shyness", she will ask and translate all that is being told to her.

15 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There are not so many different ways to ask a five word question... 

According to my calculations, there could be as many as 31 different ways, depending on the words of course.

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/161565/what-is-the-total-number-of-combinations-of-5-items-together-when-there-are-no-d

Edited by norrska
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Spot on mate, when i say things to my wife and she answers with something totally different, i say something about it  and i get English not my language.

You guys are missing out on the fun -- since in my case the girl doesn't speak English, and my Thai as I say is in the 60-70% range, I am the one who gets to say -- especially when convenientThai not my language.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

You guys are missing out on the fun -- since in my case the girl doesn't speak English, and my Thai as I say is in the 60-70% range, I am the one who gets to say -- especially when convenientThai not my language.

That is a crafty and great tactic!  Or add, Thai language too difficult, yak maak.

Edited by norrska

1 minute ago, norrska said:

According to my calculations, there could be as many as 31 different ways, depending on the words of course.

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/161565/what-is-the-total-number-of-combinations-of-5-items-together-when-there-are-no-d

There are actually 5x4x3x2x1 = 120 combinations

Yet few of them will be understandable...

5 minutes ago, norrska said:

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

image.png.4ce04517a1ce48e4d5d2209b50d55089.png

Indeed!

It's always easy to say afterwards that a comment was meant as a joke, and then put the blame for the misunderstanding on the receiving end of the comment...

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Indeed!

It's always easy to say afterwards that a comment was meant as a joke, and then put the blame for the misunderstanding on the receiving end of the comment...

Just don't ask me any questions, I am not in the mood to answer!