Spreads for toast, what's available in Thailand?

giddyup

2 minutes ago, Tambs2020 said:

True...But if i use them i drain them first otherwise the toast goes soggy...NO ONE likes soggy toast .
(this is just my assumption, no offence meant to soggy toast eaters, & no intended potential legal action will be taken seriously) emoji12.png

Sent from my X9079 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Solution: Put the topping on the side of the plate, using a knife and fork cut the toast bite size and scoop topping onto toast before popping into mouth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have found that the flavour of local tomatoes is a bit hit and miss. The tinned ones are much more flavoursome.

It fun to grow them, and then easy to get several varieties. With local ones, those from the Royal Projects aren't too bad, sometimes.

And back to the OP - sun dried and as in pesto works too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I imagine black olives, Italian tinned tomatoes, garlic and chili thrown in a blender might make a nice toast topping.

Sounds close to a bruschetta to me. Yum.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Siamsburys on Soi Khaotalo have what your looking for.........................off Sukhumvit ,,,,,,straight up over the railway lines.................far as you can go road bends to the right, gym on the left then another 200m on the left

Currently (2 days ago) had chicken and ham near the sell by at 25 baht and other flavours at 50 baht.............not huge jars but there you go.......

chicken ham.jpg

I had never heard of this store ,but went there to see ,i must say i was most impressed very good selection and prices not to bad at all , i did buy a pot of the said spread at 25baht , i had never tried it before ,even when back home , i can only say ,i would never try it again ,what in gods name do people see in it ,no taste.

but i will be using the store again ,10/10

• Like 1

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

I love pate but my body doesn't. I have gout and offal is a big no-no.

Take apple cider vinegar and honey in water every morning ,used to get really bad gout ,now its only very mild sometimes ,couple of colchacine tablets get rid of pain . i used to suffer agony , also can eat offal no problem now .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Take apple cider vinegar and honey in water every morning ,used to get really bad gout ,now its only very mild sometimes ,couple of colchacine tablets get rid of pain . i used to suffer agony , also can eat offal no problem now .

I do have the organic vinegar and honey every morning now, but still need Allopurinol.

48 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Excellent advise on ACV.....the non-pasteurized organic stuff is best.  Brands like Bragg etc.  But I would not take it every day, only during an attack.  As for those tablets, highly toxic and best avoided.

If you looking for healthy spreads, either Marmite or Vegemite both available at TOPS or Ayum tinned mackerel or sardines available almost anywhere.

• Like 1

Excellent advise on ACV.....the non-pasteurized organic stuff is best.  Brands like Bragg etc.  But I would not take it every day, only during an attack.  As for those tablets, highly toxic and best avoided.
Yes allupiranol can mess up your kidneys.did mine.but take vinegar every day.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Ah thats not the one.if you do get the 1st one you should get the chicken and ham. Also the bottom one is mainly carrot lol. Try the choice sandwich spread that is not sweet.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The first one IS Chicken and Ham, look to the left of the Best Foods printing. They are both sweet.

Edited by giddyup

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have found that the flavour of local tomatoes is a bit hit and miss. The tinned ones are much more flavoursome.

I thought tomatoes were a no-no if one has gout.

Thankfully, I've only had one gout attack. Could not bear the weight of a thin cotton sheet on my right toe. One course of Indocid, and I've never had it again. Fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I thought tomatoes were a no-no if one has gout.

Thankfully, I've only had one gout attack. Could not bear the weight of a thin cotton sheet on my right toe. One course of Indocid, and I've never had it again. Fingers crossed.

I doubt that one course of a particular tablet will cure gout, also the tomato thing is a myth.

"There is a misconception amongst certain gout sufferers that tomatoes actually cause gout attacks. This is simply not true if you closely examine the ingredients. Tomatoes are 90% water and water is important for us gout sufferers. Next, tomatoes are a low purine food and all of my readers should know by now that foods that are high in purines can trigger a gout attack. What else? Tomatoes are low in sugar and carbs as well. Heck they’re even very low in calories. 100 grams only has 18 calories! Furthermore, 100 grams of tomatoes has 237mg of potassium! So where do people get the idea that tomatoes are bad for us"?

The spreads mentioned by the OP are all artificial, factory made sugar,fat and salt mixture. I like the three nuts organic butter, marmite, avacado etc. But in general nothing made in a factory aimed at children. Marmite is an exception and packed with vitamins but I drink it as the problem with spreads is that they involve bread and wheat products....another no no.

Edited by The manic

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

The spreads mentioned by the OP are all artificial, factory made sugar,fat and salt mixture. I like the three nuts organic butter, marmite, avacado etc. But in general nothing made in a factory aimed at children. Marmite is an exception and packed with vitamins but I drink it as the problem with spreads is that they involve bread and wheat products....another no no.

The spreads I bought were merely to try what is available in Thailand, I won't be buying them again, neither will I give up my Vegemite on toast, and in future will be trying my hand at making my own spreads, all to be enjoyed with bread converted to toast..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

I doubt that one course of a particular tablet will cure gout, also the tomato thing is a myth.

"There is a misconception amongst certain gout sufferers that tomatoes actually cause gout attacks. This is simply not true if you closely examine the ingredients. Tomatoes are 90% water and water is important for us gout sufferers. Next, tomatoes are a low purine food and all of my readers should know by now that foods that are high in purines can trigger a gout attack. What else? Tomatoes are low in sugar and carbs as well. Heck they’re even very low in calories. 100 grams only has 18 calories! Furthermore, 100 grams of tomatoes has 237mg of potassium! So where do people get the idea that tomatoes are bad for us"?

Opinion is divided. Tomatoes are classed as a "possible trigger" due to their uric acid and glutamate content. I don't know how potassium affects the equation; however, foods rich in potassium should be avoided with certain medications. No, can't remember what they are.

All I can tell you is my experience with gout. Had it once only about 30 years ago, have never had it again. Diagnosed and prescribed for by a doctor.  If you choose not to believe me, that's not my problem.

Edited by Lacessit