Moving Bank Account Branch?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this before i go to the branch to ask.

I have a savings and foreign currency account with Bangkok Bank in Pattaya but i am shortly moving to Hua Hin so would like to move my account to a branch there, however i remember hearing its not that easy (suprise) and you cannot do this and need to close accounts and go through the whole procedure of opening bank accounts again?

I have an FCD account and I believe that account is located in the main office in Bangkok not at the local branch where my savings accounts are open.  The OP would only need to open new accounts in Hua Hin for local banking needs as the FCD account is maintained in Bangkok. Someone else chime in here and correct me if I am off base.

A couple of years ago the branch where I opened my first account (SCB) closed. They moved me to another, nearby branch and allocated me a new account number and book but my ATM card remained the same. I first I knew about this was a letter sent to my home. This was obviously circumstances beyond my control so it may be different from your own. 

As Pat in Pattaya implied, there isn't much reason to move. You need to go to your home branch to replace your ATM card when it expires (or if you lose it), and possibly, to transfer funds out of the country, if the new branch doesn't trust that you are who you say you are, because they don't have your signature on file. (They can read the signature from your current bankbook under their blue light.) Almost anything else can be done at any branch.

You didn't say if you are depending on your bank acct. for annual extension of a retirement or marriage visa.  If so, I would recommend that you have an account near your new Immigration office in case they give you a hard time on renewal day.

I would ask your bank directly, personally I moved to Hua Hin a couple of years ago and SCB simply closed my old account and opened a new one in Hua Hin and transfered my funds automatically, there certainly wasn't any major paperwork requirements and from memory only took around 5 minutes

I would guess though if your holding funds for retirement visa or similar opening a new account would probably void the 6 month holding funds requirement with Immigration

14 hours ago, lkv said:

You cannot move accounts from one branch to another, you need to open a new account at the new branch. Whether you close the old one or not up to you.

if your old account is dormant for 4 (?) years the bank will close it for you along with any money thats in it.

17 hours ago, lkv said:

You cannot move accounts from one branch to another, you need to open a new account at the new branch. Whether you close the old one or not up to you.

Really not worth the headaches . But a must unless you have online banking K BANK or other. Due to bank commissions on in person deposits and withdrawals

I changed branches very easily with Bangkok Bank from Bangkok to Bang Saphan Noi. You just open a new account and then transfer the funds to the new account. There is a small fee for this and then as wombat said, the account will automatically close if not used after 4 years. 

It is handy to have a local branch in case of any problems. Saves a long trip to get anything sorted!!

Also as I found out, barry 1312, it did not affect the seasoning at the Immigration in Hua Hin. I thought I had dropped a big one when I did this without thinking about extension seasoning but as I could show the paper trail and it was all within Bangkok Bank, it was accepted. Obviously I do not know how other Immigration Offices would handle this.

8 hours ago, longball53098 said:

I have an FCD account and I believe that account is located in the main office in Bangkok not at the local branch where my savings accounts are open.

A FCD account can be set up at branches that are not in Bangkok.

Not all branches do them though. List of branches is here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site Documents/GPSD/FCDServiceBranch_En.pdf

On 6/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, lkv said:

Had to do the same thing back home...but there it was not as important to do it as it is in Thailand as... ' unlike back home, so many transactions here can only be done at the bank where you opened your a/c.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:26 AM, longball53098 said:

I have an FCD account and I believe that account is located in the main office in Bangkok not at the local branch where my savings accounts are open.  The OP would only need to open new accounts in Hua Hin for local banking needs as the FCD account is maintained in Bangkok. Someone else chime in here and correct me if I am off base.

I have a FCD account and you are correct. I was able to open this at my local branch.

Bangkok Bank won't close inactive accounts that have balances above a certain amount, only those that have a small balance.   I can't remember the exact amount, but the advice to open a new account in Hua Hin and move the money out of the Pattaya account and into the Hua Hin account is spot on.

There are several reasons the have your "home branch" be near your actual home.  The letter for Immigration is just one.  Replacing a lost ATM card is another.  So is getting a new bankbook when you fill up the previous one.  Plus, of course, saving the 10 or 20 baht "out of area" fee when you use the ATM machine.  

It makes sense that you don't have to change your foreign funds account since it's actually an account with the main office, not a branch office.   

For Bangkok Bank and most Thai bank when the account balance falls below Bt2,000 "and there is no owner activity (i.e., deposit, withdrawal, transfer) for 12 months the bank will begin charging a Bt50 per month maintenance fee.   It has to meet both of those conditions...the balance amount and inactivity period.  Once the account reaches zero balance the account is closed.   That info is on their website.

Keep the balance at or above Bt2,000 and your account will not be close for inactivity.    But if  you are going to leave Thailand for a few years and say have a debit card with that account keep in mind the annual debit card fee will lower the balance.....so be sure to keep that in mind and any other things that might draw down the account balance when considering how much money to leave in the account when you are going to let the account just set for an extended period.

But above is the general rule, but I've seen TV posts where some bank branches of various Thai banks in high-farang population and turn-over areas like Pattaya that some branches may  have stricter policies in terms of account owner activity/minimum balance requirements.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/PERSONALBANKING/SPECIALSERVICES/FOREIGNCUSTOMERS/Pages/Account.aspx

A savings account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Baht 500. Interest is calculated daily and will be credited to your account at the end of June and December each year. If your savings account has been inactive for more than one year with a balance of less than Baht 2,000, a maintenance fee of Baht 50 will be deducted from your account each month. When the balance is zero, your account will be automatically closed.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/FAQs.aspx

This talks about wanting to close an account if you are outside of Thailand...but same applies if inside Thailand.

In accordance with the laws of Thailand, you cannot close the account without coming into the bank in person. However, you will be able to access your funds via electronic channels or by giving authorization to another person.

Archived